F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Hardwiring in the F56

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by prokanda
I have a question about what can be wired to that tap. I'm not very satisfied with the options on the market for dash cams that have two cameras for recording front and back, so I was thinking that I might just go ahead and use two stand-alone dash cams. One in the front, and one in the back. I have a Garmin up front right now and I'm going to transfer that over to my F56 once it's delivered. I have the hardwire kit for it. My question is: could I use two hardwire kits on the same fuse for automatic power on? Would there be any negative effects? Also, since this guide is from back when the F56 was new, has anything changed for the 2019 F56?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
there should be no negative effects. Dash cams do not draw much power. And the fewer connections you have the fewer chances there are for problems to develop, so consolidating your power taps is a good plan. For the rear you probably can find a factory ground point behind one of the side access panels in the boot.

as far as I know, the 2018 LCI update didn’t change anything in how the trim works or the wiring. But always verify against the wiring diagram that is in your fuse box, just in case.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:38 PM
prokanda
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling

there should be no negative effects. Dash cams do not draw much power. And the fewer connections you have the fewer chances there are for problems to develop, so consolidating your power taps is a good plan. For the rear you probably can find a factory ground point behind one of the side access panels in the boot.

as far as I know, the 2018 LCI update didn’t change anything in how the trim works or the wiring. But always verify against the wiring diagram that is in your fuse box, just in case.
All right, thanks for the fast reply! I didn't figure it would really cause any issues, since it's really just being used as a signal wire and not the main power for the hardwire boxes, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I'll check the wiring diagram to make sure they didn't change the functionality of that specific fuse. I'm just going to ground them in the same place. The Garmin hardwire box has a 10' cable, which I believe is enough to even reach the back, so the boxes will both be up front. Just in case, I bought a microUSB extension cable so that it'll reach for sure.

It's such a shame that none of the reasonably priced dual dash cams are made well enough. I was really hoping that the Cobra dashcam would work, since it comes with a rear camera that's connected by a cable, but the reviews aren't good.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:29 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by prokanda
It's such a shame that none of the reasonably priced dual dash cams are made well enough. I was really hoping that the Cobra dashcam would work, since it comes with a rear camera that's connected by a cable, but the reviews aren't good.
For what it's worth, I have a ThinkWare F800 with rear view camera sitting in the garage I'd be open to selling:
https://www.us.thinkware.com/products-f800

I got it for my spouse's car. But now that I've tried out the WayLens Secure 360 on my own car, I've ordered one for her car, which leaves the really quite nice F800 without a home. PM me if you're interested. (I honestly don't remember what I paid, but I can check, and then cut that figure to something reasonable.)

The F800 is a better choice if being rear-ended is your worry; the Secure 360 is more oriented to vandalism and parking lot incidents than documenting road rage and tailgaters.

PM me if interested.

The following users liked this post:
prokanda (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
prokanda
Neutral
Originally Posted by bratling
For what it's worth, I have a ThinkWare F800 with rear view camera sitting in the garage I'd be open to selling:
https://www.us.thinkware.com/products-f800

I got it for my spouse's car. But now that I've tried out the WayLens Secure 360 on my own car, I've ordered one for her car, which leaves the really quite nice F800 without a home. PM me if you're interested. (I honestly don't remember what I paid, but I can check, and then cut that figure to something reasonable.)

The F800 is a better choice if being rear-ended is your worry; the Secure 360 is more oriented to vandalism and parking lot incidents than documenting road rage and tailgaters.

PM me if interested.
I'm actually kinda partial to the Garmin line, and since I already have the 45, that one will go on the back glass (it's 1080p) and I'm gonna go with the 55 for the front, since it does 1440p (and since I've already ordered the second hardwire box). Thanks for the offer, though!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Just used this write up last night before super to get power to my radar detector. Had everything ran just wasn't sure which tap to use for the fuse box.Thanks!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Anchoright
Neutral
Originally Posted by glucklich21
Hi guys,

I made a little write up from when I hardwired my dashcam. The same would apply for a radar detector. Let me know if you guys find any errors or have any questions. You'll want to download the PDF for the best image quality. Thanks for looking!

-J.T.

-->Click here for the PDF<--
I just want to thank you for this write up. I would have never thought about the fact that the lighter outlet would momentarily switch off at ignition.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I want to thank you for this!
I am in a situation now where someone keeps denting teh side of my car when I park at my GF's Condo. I will install a dash cam and hopefully get him or her on the act!

Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
bratling (12-11-2019)
Old 06-14-2021, 03:37 PM
Mini Darkness
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you very much for putting this info together!!!

Cheers

Old 06-11-2022, 10:22 AM
JulienG
Neutral
Thanks a lot for this great tuto.

Hello, I am about to install a tow bar on my F56 Cooper non S in order to mount a bike rack. I need 12V in the boot to install the relay module.
I don't have the 12V socket in the boot.

Could someone explain what would be the best to route a 12V wire in the trunk ? (my F56 does not come with Socket in the trunkà
Can I route it under the door sill trim ? After the sill trim how can I go to the back of the car? thanks

Old 07-03-2022, 04:16 PM
nodrog321
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, installed my blackvue dashcam today and used fuse 52 for switched power and 42 for constant power. using a power magic pro so it should auto cut off at my set voltage setting.