F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Spare tire for non-S with 16" RF A/S tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Spare tire for non-S with 16" RF A/S tires

I don't think I've seen a clear answer on this.

I have a non-S F56 coming in with 16" run-flat all season tires.

Will I have a spare?

Is there a spare tire spot on the car?

If I don't have a spare and there is a spot for it, can I buy a spare that works with my set-up?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a spot for the spare.

If your car doesn't have the spare, the mounting hardware is difficult to order, but may be more readily available in the future.

You can check on your build sheet for option 300, or S300A, that's the spare.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 AM
CM2011RG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
I don't think I've seen a clear answer on this.

I have a non-S F56 coming in with 16" run-flat all season tires.

Will I have a spare?

Is there a spare tire spot on the car?

If I don't have a spare and there is a spot for it, can I buy a spare that works with my set-up?
My non S with 16s run flat AS came with a spare. Sits on opposite side of muffler, which is the right side. Will also state it on the window sticker.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto, my non-S 16s run-flats all-seasons also came with a spare and the jack/tire iron kit as well.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know Mini uses multiple sources for tires, but could those of you who have gotton non-S run flat all season tires post your tires size and details (i.e. 195/55R16 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat Grand Touring)?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:11 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer
I know Mini uses multiple sources for tires, but could those of you who have gotton non-S run flat all season tires post your tires size and details (i.e. 195/55R16 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat Grand Touring)?
I'll take a look after work at the sizing, but the brand was Hankook Optimo.

I'm not yet sure how I like them, I spun out today during light rain while accelerating from a stop sign in sport mode and all the traction control stuff kicked on to slow me down.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
This.
Spare tire: Yes
Need to use spare tire: Hope not

Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
wait. so do all cars still come with a spare? or is it only the non-S cars?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
No spare on the S. The routing of the exhaust goes thru where the spare tire would go.

Sounds like all the non-S have spares.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by g34343greg
Non S cars come with a spare. They also (I think) come with non runflat tires. You can add the runflats option for no charge. Apparently you still keep the spare, based on various reports.

You can also add all season as an option -- I choose the all season option. But when I added the all season, it forced the runflats option, so I guess they are all season runflats.

When I went to aftermarket 17" wheels on my 09 MCS (which came with 16" runflats), I switched to non runflat all season tires. They seemed ok in the twisties, but I don't push things to the limits. But they were definitely rated much higher for tread wear -- I had about 52K miles on them when I sold my car six weeks ago.

So, I spec'ed all season runflats for the F56 on order. I'm a little bit nervous because all seasons get flamed real bad by those as being terrible, and these will be 16" and not the 17" I had on the MCS.

I suppose if they are really bad, I'll be putting on new tires relatively soon. There is one review from a Mini driver on Tire Rack that really like the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat Grand Touring, so maybe it will work out ok.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
They also (I think) come with non runflat tires. You can add the runflats option for no charge. Apparently you still keep the spare, based on various reports.
My MA said that the 15'' could come in non-runflat, but when moving up to the 16'' they became runflats. Not sure if that is always true, or like you mentioned later, only for the all-seasons. I think given our location, my dealership was making everything all-season (I would be terrified of summer tires around here, when it can start snowing in October and still snow in late may!), at the very least I never specifically asked for them but got them.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
becky1711
4th Gear
Just ordered base Cooper today with 16" victory spoke. I wanted All Season but not the run-flat. MA said All Season is paired with Run-flats in their system so could not order All Season if I wanted a conventional tire. Given that restriction, I ordered a pot-luck conventional non-run-flat tire. They could not tell me what the tire will be. Could be All Season, could be Summer - guess in about 90 days we'll find out. If they're terrible, they won't be nearly as expensive as run-flats to replace. Tick Tock....

Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
shao77
2nd Gear
Haven't received my non-S 17" Silver Cosmos Spoke but according to VIN decode from bmwarchive.org my car comes with, S300A emergency spare wheel.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by becky1711
Just ordered base Cooper today with 16" victory spoke. I wanted All Season but not the run-flat. MA said All Season is paired with Run-flats in their system so could not order All Season if I wanted a conventional tire. Given that restriction, I ordered a pot-luck conventional non-run-flat tire. They could not tell me what the tire will be. Could be All Season, could be Summer - guess in about 90 days we'll find out. If they're terrible, they won't be nearly as expensive as run-flats to replace. Tick Tock....
Congrats on order! We need more details. Color, options, build week. Share

Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Congrats on order! We need more details. Color, options, build week. Share
Listed some of the sordid details in the Who's ordered 2015 thread. Don't have a build week yet, it's still listed as "on order." Ordered Blazing Red/White in a dealer allocated slot so looks funny to see the production number vehicle as Deep Blue. Thanks to the forum, I won't sweat that as I've learned it will change to my build. It has almost everything on it. I keep my cars awhile (current daily driver is 11 years old) so even though I can't future-proof, I wanted to future-protect it somewhat.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Listed some of the sordid details in the Who's ordered 2015 thread. Don't have a build week yet, it's still listed as "on order." Ordered Blazing Red/White in a dealer allocated slot so looks funny to see the production number vehicle as Deep Blue. Thanks to the forum, I won't sweat that as I've learned it will change to my build. It has almost everything on it. I keep my cars awhile (current daily driver is 11 years old) so even though I can't future-proof, I wanted to future-protect it somewhat.
If the dealer gave you a printout from their system, it has a production week. It's shown as year/month/week. Mine showed 2014/7/27. At first I thought this meant July 27, but then I saw the header and it said production week. The dealer knows the production week; they get an allocation for the month, but each build is assigned a week slot. Also, when you take over one of their slots, it goes to Priority 1 which is a sold customer build vs a dealer order w/o a customer.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
If the dealer gave you a printout from their system, it has a production week. It's shown as year/month/week. Mine showed 2014/7/27. At first I thought this meant July 27, but then I saw the header and it said production week. The dealer knows the production week; they get an allocation for the month, but each build is assigned a week slot. Also, when you take over one of their slots, it goes to Priority 1 which is a sold customer build vs a dealer order w/o a customer.
I wondered how to know production week. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't see anything like that anywhere on the print-out. It does have the "Priority: 1-Customer Sold." "Status: 112-Scheduled for daily production pack" whatever that means. There's nothing that looks like a date/wk anywhere.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
I wondered how to know production week. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't see anything like that anywhere on the print-out. It does have the "Priority: 1-Customer Sold." "Status: 112-Scheduled for daily production pack" whatever that means. There's nothing that looks like a date/wk anywhere.
Ok, you've probably got a printout from "Vehicle Inquiry: Design/MSRP" -- I've got the same sheet here with me know.

But I have a different printout at home where I had the manager make some changes, and that's the one that has the production week. You could either let it go, or ask your MA. It all depends on how anxious you are to know everything, as knowing it really doesn't change anything. But me, I'm obsessed right now, and want to know everything. It's sad too, things were all calm with me until last Friday night when I found out the forced options were dropped. Since then, it's been yet another roller coaster that has ended up in a crash at the bottom of the hill being one of the special 185 who's forced options are unchangable.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Ok, you've probably got a printout from "Vehicle Inquiry: Design/MSRP" -- I've got the same sheet here with me know.

But I have a different printout at home where I had the manager make some changes, and that's the one that has the production week. You could either let it go, or ask your MA. It all depends on how anxious you are to know everything, as knowing it really doesn't change anything. But me, I'm obsessed right now, and want to know everything. It's sad too, things were all calm with me until last Friday night when I found out the forced options were dropped. Since then, it's been yet another roller coaster that has ended up in a crash at the bottom of the hill being one of the special 185 who's forced options are unchangable.
Yup - that's exactly what I have. I'm torn between wanting to know everything (heck, I got the 2015 price list from this forum and took it into the dealer before he had seen it) and wanting to forget I even ordered so the time will pass quicker. Oh heck, who am I kidding. I'm going to want to find out.

Yeah, that's terrible about the on-again/off-again options because real people are having real money messed with. It gives the impression MINI doesn't know what they're doing - and I doubt that is the impression they are going for. I think it would be worth it to MINI for the sake of PR if nothing else, to offer a rebate to the special 185 if forced to take options they didn't otherwise want. For what it's worth, my MA said he is very frustrated by it all too because he is the front guy for MINI's wishy washy and it makes him look bad too despite not having any control over it. I am really grateful for this forum as I feel I was much more informed than the average buyer when I had to talk with him about my order.

I think we've officially hijacked this thread --- so how 'bout those spare tires....