F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone know how the MINI is covered in transit to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how the MINI is covered in transit to the dealer?

I found out that my dealer does NOT have a warehouse, so my MINI which arrived there yesterday, will be stored for the most part out in the elements for 3 weeks.

So my question is does anyone know how the cars are covered for transportation from the distribution center to the dealer? My salesman told me this morning that my MINI still has the plastic covering from the transit and it will not be removed. If the covering covers the whole car then than is at least a small consolation. If it covers the bonnet and boot only, that I'm a bit concerned about it being outside for 3 weeks.

The dealer has offered to "steal" some space in a service area lane but I don't know if it is somewhat of a high traffic area for service folks. Would you store yours in the service area?

I'm just trying to ensure that my MINI is kept unscathed during the next three weeks. A car cover won't work because they move the car around almost daily.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
MINI usually is covered in wax goo for the sea going part of the trip....the thick wax is then removed and the cars the transported in a "covered, enclosed" car carrier for the drive from the port to the dealer...the same ones that BMW uses... at-least that is what they do in the Northeastern US....
I would not worry about a months storage....it will give the time for the paint to cure and harden...a wash before delivery and all should be fine...
I would be MORE worried about the car sitting inside where it is tight, than boxed in by 3 or 4 other cars in a far corner of the lot...
And remember...you have "right of first refusal" if the car is dinged up pretty bad....or have other issues....
Lets face it...it is a new car...but within minutes of getting it...you will be on the open road...Potholes, rocks, sand, jerks with doors in SUV's.....texting drivers ready to hit you at traffic lights....the SAFEST your car will be is parked in a lot with other NEW cars...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Stay Curious
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
covered/uncovered

I almost wonder if it's simply the cargo truck company they use. We went to look at Mini's at Niello Mini in Sacramento, CA and the delivery truck was there, it was a regular uncovered truck but the cars still had their white plastic covering on them. But then I saw them on the news the other day, and a covered transport truck was out front.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I found out that my dealer does NOT have a warehouse, so my MINI which arrived there yesterday, will be stored for the most part out in the elements for 3 weeks.

So my question is does anyone know how the cars are covered for transportation from the distribution center to the dealer? My salesman told me this morning that my MINI still has the plastic covering from the transit and it will not be removed. If the covering covers the whole car then than is at least a small consolation. If it covers the bonnet and boot only, that I'm a bit concerned about it being outside for 3 weeks.

The dealer has offered to "steal" some space in a service area lane but I don't know if it is somewhat of a high traffic area for service folks. Would you store yours in the service area?

I'm just trying to ensure that my MINI is kept unscathed during the next three weeks. A car cover won't work because they move the car around almost daily.

The real question is why is the car going to be sitting there unloved

And don't say you will be on vacation -- cancel that vacation

Where are your priorities???

Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob

A "protective" white film is applied to the roof and bonnet of all MINIs transported to the dealer. It does not cover the entire vehicle, and does not cover the bonnet stripes if the vehicle is so equipped. Vehicles are transported by covered AND uncovered carriers depending on port location and services available. BMW/MINI tries to used covered transport as much as possible, but is not always the case.

None of the three dealers that I have done business with (in Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles) over the years have had any kind of indoor storage. And in Boston, the vehicles are stored at the port outside next to the loading dock (and water) until they are needed at the dealer.

Pre Delivery Inspections are done at the port/VDC and dealer to insure that your vehicle is in perfect condition when you take delivery. Relax and more importantly, enjoy your new MINI!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
anotherminiinthegarage
2nd Gear
We were at our MINI dealer in Tucson when a delivery was taking place. A covered truck from Waggoners was delivering. http://www.waggonerstrucking.com/auto.htm

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine JUST showed up today. This is right after they pulled it off the truck.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know how the MINI is covered in transit to the dealer?-photo.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by angrybears
Dig it! Exact same color/wheel build as mine. I am scheduled to pick mine up on Monday!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 PM
cwginac
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by angrybears
Mine is almost exactly the same too! Just with a black roof and it's a non-s

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cwginac
Mine is almost exactly the same too! Just with a black roof and it's a non-s
Mine's a black roof too, the white is just the protective plastic on the car.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It sat outside of the factory waiting for a train. It sat outside at the port waiting for a ship. It sat outside at the US port waiting to go inside. It sat outside again waiting to be loaded onto a truck. Three weeks from now it will have forgotten it is a car.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM
DeepBonnet
1st Gear
Photo of my F56 as soon as it can off the truck last month. Roof is black, but couldn't tell by the white film on it.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know how the MINI is covered in transit to the dealer?-image-1719589722.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
It sat outside of the factory waiting for a train. It sat outside at the port waiting for a ship. It sat outside at the US port waiting to go inside. It sat outside again waiting to be loaded onto a truck. Three weeks from now it will have forgotten it is a car.
Such a good point!