F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Sunroof tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof tint

I have seen some discussion on tinting windows and a mention (tuco44) to tinting the sunroof. Has anyone had their sunroof tinted? What degree of tint did you use? What type (ceramic, metallic, dyed)? I am thinking about it since there were other comments about the temperature near the roof.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM
two250
4th Gear
I have 5% tint on the sunroof of my R56. Been on for 4 years, it's just regular tint. Not sure how it affected the heat, but the reduction in light is worth it.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My R56 got tinted at the dealer's upon delivery three years ago and they also tinted the sunroof. Not sure what the % is but it's darker than my window tint since apparently the sunroof is already tinted.

The following users liked this post:
chuckee98 (03-23-2018)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:39 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Yes, will be having the two pano roofs done this coming Monday at 5% (dark). I am looking for noticeable heat and light reduction. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Are the sunroof decals available for the F56 yet? Any comments on how much light they reduce? Thinking of doing a blackjack just on the sunroof.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by angrybears
Are the sunroof decals available for the F56 yet? Any comments on how much light they reduce? Thinking of doing a blackjack just on the sunroof.
They are avail for 170 for the decal and my dealer said installed would be 315.
I asked my MA and he said it let in "some light" I know it doesn't help but I will most likely get a quote on a perforated gold jack for my VO from a local detail shop

Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 AM
mkskchun85
2nd Gear
I just got it done. Went to a place that does Pinnacle tinting that covered for life. It was $60 per sunroof. I got 5%, since my car does sit in the sun a lot.

Helpful hint, they have something called Airblue here, it goes on the front window. It also cuts heat down.

All together, i have 35% around and 5% for the sunroofs, and 80% in the front. Already, it's quicker to cool and stays cool in the sun. No more burning butts when getting in.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mkskchun85
I just got it done. Went to a place that does Pinnacle tinting that covered for life. It was $60 per sunroof. I got 5%, since my car does sit in the sun a lot.

Helpful hint, they have something called Airblue here, it goes on the front window. It also cuts heat down.

All together, i have 35% around and 5% for the sunroofs, and 80% in the front. Already, it's quicker to cool and stays cool in the sun. No more burning butts when getting in.
I am looking at a shop that does the Pinnacle. Looking at 35 on all the windows. Thought about 15 for the sun roofs. Maybe will think more about the 5. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
mkskchun85
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by seabrooktx
I am looking at a shop that does the Pinnacle. Looking at 35 on all the windows. Thought about 15 for the sun roofs. Maybe will think more about the 5. Thanks.
Good choice! . One thing to think about too: If you are in a dry area with lots of heat, the 5% "could" get hot enough to crack. I live in Hawaii, and the temps never go into the 90's (but humidity is always above 70%, so it still feels hot), so i don't need to worry as much. I can take pictures and post them up later.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had limo tint done 4 years ago with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
chuckee98 (03-23-2018)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mkskchun85
Good choice! . One thing to think about too: If you are in a dry area with lots of heat, the 5% "could" get hot enough to crack. I live in Hawaii, and the temps never go into the 90's (but humidity is always above 70%, so it still feels hot), so i don't need to worry as much. I can take pictures and post them up later.
Houston, Texas. It can typically be upper 90's or over 100 and 90+ humidity. You are so lucky in Hawaii.

Your comment about cracking. Is that because the film basically 'dries' out from the low humidity and high temperature? I assume the higher humidity keeps a certain level of moisture in the film even though it appears dry after being applied?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Tint

I had the ceramic tint put on mine. It does reduce the heat and glare but it is still to hot for me. What I have done, is cut a piece of the aluminum type windshield heat reflector and but it between the glass roof and the standard Mini slide shade. This eliminates the heat totally. I have the silver side up and you cannot see it when looking down through the sun roof (due to the tint) or when looking up when inside due to the Mini slide shade. I can even us the tilt feature and it stays in. Most of the windshield type shades have suction cups, you and cut it to retain the suction cup and it stays put for sure.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Elbeau
Neutral
Sunroof Tinting Myth

Tinting a sunroof WILL NOT cause it to crack. This is a myth. Sure, there's a few anecdotal stories on the internet. Most are from someone who has a friend it happened to, which is typical with urban legends. Here's the facts:

1. The flat surface of the sunroof does not lead to more heat. In fact, the time the sun is directly overhead is much less than the time it more directly hits a side or back window. So side, front and back windows receive just as much, if not more, heat.

2. Yes, plastic and glass heat and expand at different temperatures. This does not result in the glass cracking. First of all, all US spec cars have tempered, laminated glass in the sunroof, just like on the windows. It's called laminated because a sheet of plastic is wedged between two sheets of glass making up the safety glass. Thus, the plastic doesn't mix with glass theory is shot. Second, plastic stretches. Before it would break any glass, it would stretch and warp to the point where it would bubble, peal or tear.

3. Limo tint is used on hundreds of thousands of sunroofs on limos and other service vehicles. If it would cause breaking there would be thousands of stories about it all over the internet and car magazines. I've found a few. And, yes, most limos are tinted with the same tint decent tint shops use because most limos are made aftermarket from the standard version of the vehicle. Even factory tinting is plastic applied to the glass.

4. The reason many shops will claim that tinting the sunroof will crack it is because (a) they heard the myth and just pass it on, or (2) it's too much effort for the price they can charge. Specifically, applying tint to the flat overhead surface makes a mess. The liquid put on the glass will drip down all over the interior, unless it's covered. Alternatively, the shop may remove the sunroof, install the tint and reinstall the sunroof. This of course requires time and labor, which would make the price the shop can get too little for the effort involved. However, to the extent anyone wants to believe that tinting cracked their sunroof, it is more likely that the shop removed the sunroof and did not install it properly seated. It is therefore the stress on the glass from improper seating, not tinting, that caused the cracking. Of course, this is a real risk.

Also, it is possible that there is a latent defect in the glass which may manifest itself when the glass is treated or removed/replaced. Again, it would be a glass defect, not the tint.

I have had my sunroofs limo tinted for years. I now live in Tempe Arizona -- it's been around 110 degrees for weeks. Most cars on the road with sunroofs do have limo tint on them here. Neither mine nor anyone else's I've seen has cracked.

So, if you want your sunroof tinted, rest easy. Tinting it will not crack it. Incidentally, have you seen a car that has caught on fire? More often than not, the glass has melted rather than shattered. But, in any case, sun against a tinted window does not produce heat anywhere near that of a car fire. Even in the desert in the summer.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Tinting a sunroof WILL NOT cause it to crack. This is a myth.....

....it is more likely that the shop removed the sunroof and did not install it properly seated. It is therefore the stress on the glass from improper seating, not tinting, that caused the cracking. Of course, this is a real risk.....
All your points are valid and well documented but I think this is the most significant reason, removing to tint and reinstalling them slightly out of alignment.