F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop base vs 2014 Mazda3 i grand touring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Alexander Major
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop base vs 2014 Mazda3 i grand touring?

I have test-driven both vehicles and am having trouble deciding between either of them. Both are very fun to drive. At my price level, the Mazda3 has safety features such as blind spot monitoring, along with heated seats, navigation, and keyless entry. The Mini would definitely have the better build quality and is even more fun to drive, although it has less features. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 PM
silus
1st Gear
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alexander Major
I have test-driven both vehicles and am having trouble deciding between either of them. Both are very fun to drive. At my price level, the Mazda3 has safety features such as blind spot monitoring, along with heated seats, navigation, and keyless entry. The Mini would definitely have the better build quality and is even more fun to drive, although it has less features. Any input would be appreciated.
Seriously considered a Mazda3, 5 door, but wife liked CX-5 better, so we got that. Before we got the CX-5, she really expressed an interest in a MINI, I learned about the upcoming F56 and ordered one in March.

The MINI (MCS) will be much more responsive, fun and faster, the Mazda3 will be much more versatile because of its size & seating capacity. The Mazda will likely have better build quality. Granted the CX-5 is different from a Mazda3, but my wife really enjoys riding in the MINI.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Alexander Major
1st Gear
Why would you say the Mazda3 would have better build quality?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I was surprised to read this line in the linked article:

So, in this case, much as we all love some head, the heart trumped it.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM
JonCanada
2nd Gear
I was in a similar position and ended up with the Mini. I didn't like how the Mazda drove - steering felt off and it seemed to lack power - outward visibility also wasn't the greatest. And I find the Mazda interiors to be not the best executed - they seem a little gimicky to me.

As stated by torpeau, though, if size and seating is a factor, the mazda 3 wins-out. A similar car in the category which I really liked (minus the interior) was the Subaru Impreza - the AWD makes a big difference going around corners; I just couldn't put up with the dated interior..

Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Because the Japanese build cars that are much more reliable than any car built in Europe or any where else for that matter.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're looking for a dependable daily driver then perhaps buy the Mazda. If you're concerned about a car that is an incredible driving experience, buy the Mini. If you buy a Mini and want the best chance of having dependability, buy the base Mini and not the S or JCW models.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
Because the Japanese build cars that are much more reliable than any car built in Europe or any where else for that matter.
Except now the Mazda3 is built in Mexico...

Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
bluvw69
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Well hey! My last two VWs were Mexican built and they... well.... nevermind...

Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Whether a car is made in Germany, Japan or Zimbabwe, quality depends on the standards set by management.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Based on my experience, panel fit and an overall feeling of being solid tilts in favor of the Mazda.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The Mazda 3 was my original top choice of all the cars I shopped, but in the end it felt like driving an appliance even though the exterior looks so amazing. The quality of materials and soul of the MINI put it to shame.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Get used to it, lot of cars will be build in Mexico, including premium brands like BMW and Audi etc... By the way build in Mexico doesn't mean that is bad quality. Yes Japanese cars are more reliable some are built in Japan some are build elsewhere still the same quality

Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got stuck in a Mazda3 for a rental car. I personally think their is no comparison other than they are both small cars. Whole the Mazda may be more reliable it feels cheap, handles like crap and the fit and feel is not even close to my Mini.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesdean
I got stuck in a Mazda3 for a rental car. I personally think their is no comparison other than they are both small cars. Whole the Mazda may be more reliable it feels cheap, handles like crap and the fit and feel is not even close to my Mini.
I never thought of a Mazda3 as a competitor to the MINI, but when it's compared to its direct competitors, Civic and such, Car & Driver rates it numero uno in the June issue.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There ratings can be very squed

Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
red bread
2nd Gear
I currently have an older Mazda 3 and have driven each generation of Mini. Handling is actually better on the Mazda, especially when using similar tires. It's lighter, has a longer wheelbase and double wishbone suspension. Because of the longer wheelbase, it's a little trickier to induce lift throttle oversteer, but it's still there.

While the MS3 was certainly more powerful than the current Mazda3, it was always handily faster than the JCW Minii at the C&D Lightning Laps and at most tracks that I've seen.

Now, the Mini offers a few features that you simply can't get on the manual Mazda3i and of course is a much smaller and more playful car. I like the similar feel to the BMW's I've owned previously and the aftermarket is certainly friendlier, as is the engine tuning potential. The 3i has the same stupidly small tach as the Mini, while the automatic only s model has a huge central tach like the RX8 and Porsches, stupid design choice.

For me, I want something smaller, so the five door Cooper will likely be a great fit, but don't discount the Mazda3 if the size doesn't bother you.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
If you buy a Mini and want the best chance of having dependability, buy the base Mini and not the S or JCW models.
The 2014 base is turbocharged and it is too soon to make conclusions about reliability of the F56.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're Okay with the auto and the bigger size of the Mazda, then I'd go for it. You're going to get a much more reliable car that will cost much less in repairs/maintenance, a more comfortable car, a car with more features, and a roomier car with more utility. As someone else said, you won't have as "playful" a car, but if playfulness was important, then you'd get a manual anyway.

The problem with the Mazda 3 right now is that you can't get the bigger engine with the manual transmission. That is supposed to be rectified by the fall.

- Mark

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
The 2014 base is turbocharged and it is too soon to make conclusions about reliability of the F56.
+1 first year of any car is an adventure

Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
Get used to it, lot of cars will be build in Mexico, including premium brands like BMW and Audi etc... By the way build in Mexico doesn't mean that is bad quality. Yes Japanese cars are more reliable some are built in Japan some are build elsewhere still the same quality
I know. I was only responding to the OP who said Japanese built cars are better quality, but now the Mazda3 isn't built in Japan!

Anyway, I've been looking at it too since I'm not having any luck finding a 2013 with the feaures I want and I can't get into the 2014. I don't really want to buy out my 2011 lease either as it's right on the residual, but has been in one fairly major front end collision and one very minor rear collision. So I feel I'm losing money by buying it out.

It sucks as I want to stay with MINI, but just can't find a car I like. There were three in Denver, but two sold before I was there this weekend visiting friends. There is one other that is close to what I want, but just not sure I want the hassle of flying down/driving back. Guess we'll see. The Mazda3 seems the closest in handling that still gets the same mpg for the price.

I'm just disappointed that I will probably now have a car I don't love anymore - it's more settling for whatever because I need a car!

Last edited by mini-mine; 06-09-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
minibx
5th Gear
I know. I was only responding to the OP who said Japanese built cars are better quality, but now the Mazda3 isn't built in Japan! Anyway, I've been looking at it too since I'm not having any luck finding a 2013 with the feaures I want and I can't get into the 2014. I don't really want to buy out my 2011 lease either as it's right on the residual, but has been in one fairly major front end collision and one very minor rear collision. So I feel I'm losing money by buying it out. It sucks as I want to stay with MINI, but just can't find a car I like. There were three in Denver, but two sold before I was there this weekend visiting friends. There is one other that is close to what I want, but just not sure I want the hassle of flying down/driving back. Guess we'll see. The Mazda3 seems the closest in handling that still gets the same mpg for the price. I'm just disappointed that I will probably now have a car I don't love anymore - it's more settling for whatever because I need a car!
Have you tried the GTI that one looks fun

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
I'm just disappointed that I will probably now have a car I don't love anymore - it's more settling for whatever because I need a car!
Get the car you'll love. After I bought the Mazda CX-5 for my wife, it never occurred to me get get a Mazda3. I wanted a fun car. Mazda does make excellent cars, and my wife's son bought a Mazda6 last month.

BTW, at a Mazda forum, there's a long-running thread about the radio that won't work properly w/ iPods. I think the problem is several years old and even in the 2015s -- nobody is perfect.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
By the way build in Mexico doesn't mean that is bad quality. Yes Japanese cars are more reliable some are built in Japan some are build elsewhere still the same quality
At one time, the car plant with the lowest manufacturing defects in the world was in Mexico - and I think it was a Mazda plant.

My local Nissan plant in Britain started making bodyshells with more accuracy than their Japanese parent and a quality audit team were sent from Japan to check if they were telling the truth - the Japanese clearly have the same racial sterotyping problem as everyone else. Friends working at the plant said the auditors started to look worried when they realised they were going to have to go home and tell their bosses the smelly round-eyes could build bodyshells better....

Quick Reply: F55/F56 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop base vs 2014 Mazda3 i grand touring?