F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?

Have any of you lucky folks who have taken delivery purchased the alternative key fob covers that have the NFC (Near Field Communication) chip in it? I am curious to know as I am wondering what the impact to the keyfob's battery life will be. Attached pic is of the covers.

I have a Samsung home stereo system in a spare room that has a NFC chip installed in the remote control to allow for users to pass data from a phone to the entertainment system via the remote. The feature is absolutely useless since there are plenty of other ways (cough, bluetooth, cough, wi-fi) to pass images or videos to the stereo. However I have found that the NFC chip in the remote is always on and awaiting a "possible" signal; this leads to a remote control in which batteries die every 48 hours. I had to buy a set of rechargeable batteries that I swap out any time I want to use the system.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?-keyfob_cover.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NFC should be able to take a charging signal, wonder what you are supposed to hold it near to do that to get more life out of it? As for NFC, my cell phone has that and it actually has to be touching something to transmit/receive, so I don't see it being that useful in a car.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking for info on this...what is it's purpose? other than changing the look and adding a lanyard

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ojedam64
I've been looking for info on this...what is it's purpose? other than changing the look and adding a lanyard
A description I found from Mini says:

"the NFC chip (Near Field Communication chip) is an outstanding innovation that is integrated into the cap and which can be read by all Smartphones supporting the system.It can be programmed on an individual basis. A whole range of functions can be started by bringing the key cap into contact with your smartphone. eg Apps open up and Bluetooth and WiFi can be operated."

Basically it sounds like if you hold your keyfob to your phone it would in turn enable Bluetooth and start up specified apps such as the Mini Connected App.

IMO it sounds kinda silly and not exactly easier than doing these things manually. Also, I believe the short styled lanyard is a separate purchase from the fob cover.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
where did you find that information? I can't seem to find anything that talks about it at all.

gagets, it's got lots O gadgets!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ojedam64
where did you find that information? I can't seem to find anything that talks about it at all.

gagets, it's got lots O gadgets!
I actually held the box for the fob today while I was at my dealer and read the same description there. I was just able to find it on this UK parts site to easily copy it from to post.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Weird. What does the key look like without it then? With it, it kind of has the same shape as the current key...

Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMayhem
The feature is absolutely useless since there are plenty of other ways (cough, bluetooth, cough, wi-fi) to pass images or videos to the stereo.
In this case, NFC is used only for the two devices to identify each other and communicate the desired operation. Images and videos are too much data for NFC, and the actual data transfer is launched separately over bluetooth or wi-fi.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
In this case, NFC is used only for the two devices to identify each other and communicate the desired operation. Images and videos are too much data for NFC, and the actual data transfer is launched separately over bluetooth or wi-fi.
You are correct. I still believe it is a feature that was added for the sake of adding another bullet point on their available functions. To initiate the process of streaming images/video from a mobile device to the system is much easier and faster by simply going to the on screen menu. The NFC "shortcut" is not worthwhile in my opinion. For me personally it is all moot anyway since I use a Chrome-cast on that set up for these types of functions.

I was only referencing all of this as an example as why I question the value of the NFC chip in the Mini key fob covers. I really like the look of them but would not be interested if that little chip (I am never gonna use) is gonna quickly drain the battery in my Key fob.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
I bought the JCW version of the fob kits pictured in the OP's post. I threw away the packaging, because I thought the kits were totally cosmetic! :/ :(

Anyway, if someone can post more official info about the NFC tech when they find it, I'd appreciate it!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
Anyway, if someone can post more official info about the NFC tech when they find it, I'd appreciate it!
More "official" than the description on the box? See image.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?-capture.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Thanks, but more info is needed:

- What functions can be controlled?
- What app will be used to change the functions' settings?
- Is the app available now?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Weird. What does the key look like without it then? With it, it kind of has the same shape as the current key...
I guess it would just look like a little bar with buttons on it, I have held the new fob but did not remove the standard black outer ring. Below is a pic of the normal fob as it comes with the car.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?-mini-cooper-key.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Here is an article on a NFC focused website talking about the new fob, only slightly more info (and it may just make for more questions, hehe)

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is an article on a NFC focused website talking about the new fob, only slightly more info (and it may just make for more questions, hehe)
Good to know that the MINI is a " Lifestyle Product", according to the article.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
I guess it would just look like a little bar with buttons on it, I have held the new fob but did not remove the standard black outer ring. Below is a pic of the normal fob as it comes with the car.
Oh ok, thanks. I didn't realise it came with a 'case'. So yeah, guess it's like many other car fobs then - a skinny rectangle.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Bjrichar
Neutral
I feel dumb asking this, but how do you install the key cap? I feel like I'm going to break the fob

Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bjrichar
I feel dumb asking this, but how do you install the key cap? I feel like I'm going to break the fob
Flip it over so you're looking at the back where it says Mini. Towards the end with with the M there's a slot. Stick something under there and twist and the back half will pop off.
Be careful not to gouge the plastic if you use a screwdriver. Once the back half is off the round part will slide off.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 AM
cooper_sport
Neutral
Here is a picture of the standard next to the JCW key. The keyfob and lanyard are two different products you have to buy. I got both a couple of days after getting my car. We have the JCW interior and exterior pack so goes well with the MINI. Also means I can tell my key from my wife's.

To use the NFC chip with android phones you need to download any NFC app from the store. I use NFC Tools Pro and NFC Tasks. You then setup what functions you want the chip to do within the app. Once you are happy, you just write it to the chip by bringing the key and phone together when the app says to. After that, any phone the key touches will activate the programmed tasks.

I have my chip setup to do the following.
Toggle on/off Bluetooth
Turn off wi-fi
Toggle on/off all sounds

Also means when I leave the car I touch them together again to mute the phone and switch off the bluetooth. If you have your phone rooted you can tell it to turn on/off the mobile data connection as well.

I got the lanyard as it means I can now hang the key from the wiper control stick while driving. Doesn't have to be in the side bin sliding around.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?-key.jpg  
Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
A description I found from Mini says: "the NFC chip (Near Field Communication chip) is an outstanding innovation that is integrated into the cap and which can be read by all Smartphones supporting the system.It can be programmed on an individual basis. A whole range of functions can be started by bringing the key cap into contact with your smartphone. eg Apps open up and Bluetooth and WiFi can be operated." Basically it sounds like if you hold your keyfob to your phone it would in turn enable Bluetooth and start up specified apps such as the Mini Connected App. IMO it sounds kinda silly and not exactly easier than doing these things manually. Also, I believe the short styled lanyard is a separate purchase from the fob cover.
Wouldn't it have been better to integrate the NFC into the car itself, such as onto a spot on the dash? Auto-spawning MINIConnected is a great idea, but this is a dumb way to implement it.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Still waiting for a new, does nothing, much-skinnier FOB sleeve, option. Better yet, a sleeker key FOB upgrade, because what we've got is bulky, ugly and cheap-looking, and even the buttons aren't user-friendly. Wish they'd just have given us a rebadged BMW fob.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Bjrichar
Neutral
Originally Posted by g34343greg
Flip it over so you're looking at the back where it says Mini. Towards the end with with the M there's a slot. Stick something under there and twist and the back half will pop off.
Be careful not to gouge the plastic if you use a screwdriver. Once the back half is off the round part will slide off.
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
Still waiting for a new, does nothing, much-skinnier FOB sleeve, option. Better yet, a sleeker key FOB upgrade, because what we've got is bulky, ugly and cheap-looking, and even the buttons aren't user-friendly. Wish they'd just have given us a rebadged BMW fob.
They made it keyless so you can keep the ugly fob in your pocket where nobody has to see it :p

I have speedwell blue for mine and the wife has vivid green. Helps us tell them apart and I think they look pretty cool. Very fitting for a Mini too in a fun, playful way. We bought them using the credit Mini gave us for the EPA delay.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?-image-1631359952.jpg  

Last edited by g34343greg; 12-11-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
I tried that and OMG, this is what the key SHOULD look like! I popped off the back and then slid off the rounded part and then re-installed the back part. The key looks so much better without the rounded part. I think I saw a discussion about this before (maybe here) - we need to have someone fabricate a slim cover for the exposed part of the key for protection.

Sorry, I don't have the ability to post a pic of what I did, but it improves the look and feel and size of the key 300%!!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. It's so much better without the round part. PLEASE someone make a slim cover to go on this.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Anyone purchase the fancy key F56 fob covers with the NFC chip in it?