F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 My dealer will be asking over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:43 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer will be asking over MSRP

This doesn't effect me since I ordered a car but since interest and demand are high, my dealer told me that all new 2014 Hard tops they get in soon will be going on sale OVER MSRP. Supply and demand I guess, but I'm glad I ordered one special because that would really tick me off.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 AM
StevenZoz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If that's the case I'm so glad I'm getting $2000 off on the deal I worked out

Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2K is unheard of with the F56. That must have been quite a deal, Steve.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Perhaps more lack of supply than increase in demand. I would travel for the right deal. Steve, did you pick any big options?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by steve1ddd
Supply and demand I guess
That's right, supply and demand has to be in balance. Too much supply and price drops, more demand than supply and prices go up.

Often, those add-ons like nitrogen in the tires and paint protectants quickly go away in the negotiation process. Air is 78% nitrogen, so 100% nitrogen is kind of dumb. I might pay for 100% helium though.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
This doesn't effect me since I ordered a car but since interest and demand are high, my dealer told me that all new 2014 Hard tops they get in soon will be going on sale OVER MSRP. Supply and demand I guess, but I'm glad I ordered one special because that would really tick me off.
This week I got an email from MINI USA, and a second from my local dealer, announcing not just the launch event, but also $2000 discount on the 2014 MINI F56.

I guess your local dealer didn't get the memo. :-)

Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 AM
StevenZoz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I shopped around to multiple mini dealers and they wanted to sell me the car, so that's how I got the discount. In the end, my most local mini dealer wound up matching the best offer I got. Went pretty loaded, msrp is ~34,800 for a cooper s (think I got everything except leather (got leatherette)). Don't remember the exact number off hand since I added a minor option (piano black trim) after ordering.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
I think your dealer sees you are trading down from the Porsche....
And thinks you might have friends....and wants to sells cars to them...pure hype...then again..might be a sigh you should NEVER get your car serviced by them....just saying....
Even when I bought my mini in the summer of 2004 and waited 6 months for delivery...dealers were still selling at list....and competing in how many freebees they tossed in...floor mats, etc vs nothing....
Some folks MAY pay a premium cause they want one on THE FIRST DAY/WEEK (without a preorder)...but I bet it will be short lived....

Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
This week I got an email from MINI USA, and a second from my local dealer, announcing not just the launch event, but also $2000 discount on the 2014 MINI F56.

Or heard the radio adds EVERY 10 MINUTES (WITH THECTRAFFIC REPORTS) ON WBZ...
Never though I would get annoyed by a mini add....
But the announcer seems to think the brand is "MINI COOPER" NOT MINI....kinda funny...

Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM
etl330
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling

I need to get on this email list

Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM
helipadforme
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the $2000 offer including the hardtop? All of the disclaimers on my dealer's website for that exclude the new hardtop and list smaller amounts for various other models.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by helipadforme
Is the $2000 offer including the hardtop? All of the disclaimers on my dealer's website for that exclude the new hardtop and list smaller amounts for various other models.
The $2000 is for every model EXCEPT the hardtop. The fine print at the bottom of the email excludes the hardtop.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 AM
etl330
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by russmini
The $2000 is for every model EXCEPT the hardtop. The fine print at the bottom of the email excludes the hardtop.
that makes more sense

Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Yes, this is true. I read the ads carefully. I think people can get fooled by the model year. The hardtop is excluded for good reason. It is the only 2014 MINI that is brand new. The most I've heard of (confirmed) on the 2014 MINI Hardtop (base or S) is $500.00.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
When the MINI first arrived in 2002 there were only two dealers in California selling the MCS at MSRP. The wait list at these dealers was a year long by launch date. I got on East Bay MINI's wait list in May of 2001 and was able to order one of their first customer spec'd cars in April of 2002.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
These beauties must be flying off the shelf

Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
I would have a serious problem paying over MSRP. I would pay MSRP but not more. Just wait a bit, and no one will be trying to get over MSRP.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
So far, I am paying MSRP minus $1000 USAA discount and minus $400 off dealer accessories.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Carnut12
1st Gear
They are not flying off the lots by any means, don't buy into the BS. Over MSRP for this car is ridiculous, it is already priced well above its competition.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Carnut12
They are not flying off the lots by any means, don't buy into the BS. Over MSRP for this car is ridiculous, it is already priced well above its competition.
I've always wondered what is MINI's competition in the US. Certainly not Fiat but I guess VW GTI could be.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Carnut12
1st Gear
I've always wondered what is MINI's competition in the US. Certainly not Fiat but I guess VW GTI could be.
GTI is bigger, but I am sure they are cross-shopped. The Ford Fiesta ST is IMO the closest size and performance for about $8-10K cheaper, but I doubt they are cross shopped much.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
one of the dealers told me the most compared car is the prius. I guess they are looking for fuel efficiency but don't want to completely give up on life and buy a soulless prius. I would rather give up a few MPG and enjoy what I drive personally.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
I thought about the Prius, but it's got 2 useless doors. And the Lexus CT 200H.

I'm casting a wide net. I basically want a small, preferably 2-door hatch, a front wheel drive car [since it's been winter here for the last 6 months]. I have some stuff to haul, sometimes, but mostly I go from here, 40 minutes to work.

Cars I have test driven, I like and will consider if I can't option an F56 to my liking:
Honda CR-Z
R56 [I want better l/100km]
Nissan Juke

When I was driving the Honda I had a thought, no one makes a bad car anymore. You can test drive all the cars, but it isn't going to help eliminate them.

Cars I haven't test driven, I will consider:
MINI Roadster [This is a completely impractical car, but I'm smitten]
Fiat 500
VW Beetle TDI (I'm expecting I will not fit in this)
Scion TC
Hyundai Velostar (highly unlikely, I can't get over The Pony)

Cars I was interested in that I couldn't fit in:
Chevy Spark
Mitsubihi I-MiEV
Smart FourTwo
Toyota Yaris
VW Golf [and I assumed EOS as well]

RWD, no no no
BMW 128i
Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z
Mazda Miata

Gas Gusslers, I can't afford to drive:
Toyota FJ
Nissan Altima Coupe
Subaru
The Volvo C30 would probably go here if it was still available.

There are so many European cars that I would consider that just are not available in Canada, you would think MINI would have a cakewalk in this market:
Honda European Civic, Hatch (They have managed to ugly this up, it looked so nice a couple of years ago.)
Audi A1
Peugeots, VWs, Renaults

Attached Thumbnails My dealer will be asking over MSRP-image.jpg  

Last edited by hammerhands; 04-06-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerhands

I'm casting a wide net. I basically want a small, preferably 2-door hatch, a front wheel drive car [since it's been winter here for the last 6 months]. I have some stuff to haul, sometimes, but mostly I go from here, 40 minutes to work.

Cars I have test driven, I like and will consider if I can't option an F56 to my liking:
Honda CR-Z
Nissan Juke

When I was driving the Honda I had a thought, no one makes a bad car anymore. You can test drive all the cars, but it isn't going to help eliminate them.

Fiat 500
Scion TC

Chevy Spark
Mitsubihi I-MiEV
Smart FourTwo
Toyota Yaris

How big are your or what is your shape? I am a big guy and 6'-6" and I have fit in a Smart (surprisingly more roomy than most cars at the car show I was at), The Beetle has days of headroom, Golf is doable, and the Mitsu should work IIRC, I know the Totoya IQ fit me.

I haven't sat in a Spark, Yaris (a long time ago), Scion or Veloster. I did try to fit in a Fiat 500 and it was a no-go.

How did you fit in a CR-Z I can barley fit in the passenger seat and never could get in the driver's seat to drive it...just couldn't get my legs under the dash. Juke was OK, peppy but felt tip and I hate CVTs. For the wife we went with a CX-5.

I guess I'm getting at that maybe you have odd requirements but I'm pretty big and find it odd you didn't fit in some of these cars. Even if you said no RWD, how would you even fit in a BRZ/FRS (I hated it), Miata? Either no top or no door, both need to be open for me to drive a stick (it was a interesting sight.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 AM
etl330
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands

Honda CR-Z
Nissan Juke

Fiat 500
Scion TC

Chevy Spark
Mitsubihi I-MiEV
Smart FourTwo
Toyota Yaris

RWD, no no no
BMW 128i
Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z
Mazda Miata

Gas Gusslers, I can't afford to drive:
Toyota FJ
Nissan Altima Coupe
Subaru
The Volvo C30 would probably go here if it was still available.

There are so many European cars that I would consider that just are not available in Canada, you would think MINI would have a cakewalk in this market:
Honda European Civic, Hatch (They have managed to ugly this up, it looked so nice a couple of years ago.)
Audi A1
Peugeots, VWs, Renaults
take a look at the Fiat Abarth...there are boatloads of 2013s sitting on dealer lots for $6-10k off sticker. It's no Mini, but it makes a great sound and at $16-22k depending on options and discount it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 My dealer will be asking over MSRP