F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Factory production halt for defective oil filter housing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory production halt for defective oil filter housing?

Just curious if anyone knows about, or has heard anything about, any recent F56 factory production stoppage/issue due to a defective oil filter housing. This is reportedly the reason for dealers not releasing most of the 2014 MINIs received. My MA called me last night about it. He said the dealer had just received a memo from MINI. I'm pretty sure he said it was the oil filter housing. I'm going to call a large MINI dealer in NJ later this morning to verify this. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with MINI USA customer service. The rep didn't see anything initially with my VIN, but upon some deeper research he did find that the factory has alerted dealers that certain VINs have a hold on delivery while MINI is determining if there are any issues with factory parts. I think that is where the "defective oil filter housing" comes into play with my dealer. Sounds like MINI, in my case, is sending the dealer a replacement part which they will install prior to my 15th delivery. I am hoping that 4/15 date will still hold for me.

I appreciated my MA calling me around 8PM last night to alert me about this "hold" on my car. He obviously wants me to be totally in the loop. He is off today so I'll get more info tomorrow. By the way, my car is not the only one being held up by MINI and needing to be checked and cleared prior to delivery.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if we call the hotline, they will know for sure if our car is one of those affected?

If it is, but has not shipped yet after production, will they keep the car from shipping until the part is replaced?

Or is the only option having the part replaced at the dealer after it arrives, but before delivery?

Thanks in advance...

Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
So if we call the hotline, they will know for sure if our car is one of those affected?

If it is, but has not shipped yet after production, will they keep the car from shipping until the part is replaced?

Or is the only option having the part replaced at the dealer after it arrives, but before delivery?

Thanks in advance...
great question! need that VIN number list

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM
sav112
1st Gear
I take it this is every F56??? waiting for a F56 Cooper and it should be at the dealer within a week or two in the UK. I do not want a part that is defective right off the bat. That’s scary!

A part of me now wishes I had left it a year or so things like this were sorted out.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Based on my discussion last night with my MA, it is NOT all F-56s. He was my VIN was one of them.

So if you have your VIN you can call the Hot Line and have them check. However, they will have to go beyond the "regular" check because the person I talked to didn't see anything out of the ordinary at first. It was only after he dug "deeper" (whatever that meant) that he found the note about a hold on my MINI.

Hope this info helps.

Sav112, waiting might have helped a bit, but no year is spared when it comes to occasional issues. Parts supplier changes, spec changes, etc. ALL affect a model year so glitches and recalls are inevitable.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
sav112
1st Gear
I hope my Vin that I don't know is covered in the not all F56. You in the US are better looked after with recalls. Some of the R56 recalls or what ever they call them in Mini were not done In the UK when both Germany and the U.S were covered.

Appreciate any news on this, so if you get the call please probe what is going going on please.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
I called about my vin, they did not find anything.

My 2014 MCS just came out of production this morning.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM
sav112
1st Gear
A few on the forums over here in the UK have been told the cars are built but have been sitting at the factory for over a week. Is this because of this I don't know. If your Car is in the states it's an early build as it take a month does it not to travel and that's a worry if you ask me. It's probably a quick fix once the production foul up has been sorted. Premium cars these are priced at so I expect BMW build quality in every part.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I have every expectation that the part, if defective, will be promptly replaced. I will try to get more info tomorrow from my MA.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Called the hotline 1-866-275-6464 and the automated answer was that my MCS was "in transit." Asked a person if that meant on a ship and she couldn't get any further information. Asked about an oil filter related problem and about cars "just sitting," and she said all she could find was something about "accessory kits."

She suggested I call the MA because he would have better info.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
The Hotline told me yesterday that they don't usually have a lot of info on issues, holds, etc. They are more 'after the sale' service. Rep #1 knew nothing about the April 15 launch mandate. Rep #2 knew nothing about any factory hold and couldn't find anything on her computer. Rep #3 knew nothing either about a factory hold, but after "digging deeper with me on hold" she found the note about the factory hold on my VIN (and others). So don't be surprised if the Hotline cannot provide you anything worth while. I think in most cases your MA is the best source.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Spoke with My MA. He was aware of the issues. He said "I thought I might be hearing from you". Lol. I call him a lot I guess. They are working on a plan to resolve pre-delivery for me. Although my car will probally arrive the 15 or the 16th, I travel every week for work, so I can't pick up till Saturday anyway. Good time for them to fix this, apply tint any any other options I come up with between now and then.....driving lights maybe

Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 PM
mbatech
1st Gear
I ordered my F56 yesterday and it's already in production today. Called my MA this afternoon and he indicated he just found out about the issue this morning. He indicating that Mini is continuing production and my car will probably have to be fixed upon delivery. Doesn't sound like they have fixed the issue for newly produced cars.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Motoring file saying Cars affected are between these dates of the 13th November 2013 to 14th March 2014??? So basically the first built cars that have been delivered.

Originally Posted by mbatech
I ordered my F56 yesterday and it's already in production today. Called my MA this afternoon and he indicated he just found out about the issue this morning. He indicating that Mini is continuing production and my car will probably have to be fixed upon delivery. Doesn't sound like they have fixed the issue for newly produced cars.
That will just be Scheduled for production in that its got a slot. Unless the dealer is selling a pre ordered car to you that matches your spec.

Last edited by sav112; 04-02-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 AM
jordan210
1st Gear
I have spoken to MINI UK and they don't seam to be aware of any issue...

Will keep updated with UK side of things

Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jordan210
I have spoken to MINI UK and they don't seam to be aware of any issue...

Will keep updated with UK side of things
Well it's over motorfile! What I think is who ever you spoke to did not know. There is definitely a problem.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 AM
jordan210
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sav112
Well it's over motorfile! What I think is who ever you spoke to did not know. There is definitely a problem.

I spoke to customer service and a dealer who all don't know any thing about it....

I have an F56 so I think if there an issue I hope I will be told as currently driving the car not waiting for one.

Last edited by jordan210; 04-02-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sav112

I see a problem w/ the diesel at motoringfile, but not the Cooper or the S.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 AM
Ninja636
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jordan210
I spoke to customer service and a dealer who all don't know any thing about it....

I have an F56 so I think if there an issue I hope I will be told as currently driving the car not waiting for one.
My thoughts exactly. Would hope that someone would tell me directly as I am driving the car already

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Totally agree if there is an issue and your driving the F56 they would need to inform you. The only time I have been annoyed with mini over recalls was a issue that both the U.S and Germany got informed about and fixed and the UK was not.

I'm in the same boat in the UK so I hope your right. It's easy to find the article it's on the front page of Motoring file under breaking news. (Sorry on the iPhone or I'd link it) contacted my dealer and all he knew about was a hold on Cooper D only. But the lads in the USA are obviously not making it up or their dealers so does it only affect the U.S Cars??? I know on total mini here in the UK some have been frustrated to find their new cars have not left the factory after completion for a week or more now. One guy got told his "s" was push back from end of April to mid May.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Ninja636
1st Gear
The irony of all this for me is that my car came early. I am awaiting the courtesy call from the dealer will ask them if they know anything.

Meanwhile keeping an eye on the driveway for fluid leaks just in case...

Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
This lack of communication (details) from MINI is not helping to project a positive image for the company. Especially with the dealer launch celebrations that are starting on April 12. Having F56s on the lots with a "hold for fix" on them at a launch celebration would be a killer and an embarrassment for MINI IMO.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Don't take this as gospel, but when my dealer informed me of this issue, he said that if the issue wasn't fixed that it could cause a catastrophic engine failure. So if you have taken delivery of your F56 you should call your dealer immediately and ask for answers. Hopefully this "catastrophic engine failure" concern is a remote possibility and not a likely possibility. Nonetheless, if dealers are not releasing them now, it is a question worth asking of your dealer.

It is a shame that dealers were not given more specific information on Monday, thus leaving dealers and their customers in the dark.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 AM
sav112
1st Gear
At least no one is the USA is driving them, just us in the UK etc. Fingers crossed no Oil leak or water coolant mixing with the oil crossing over.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Factory production halt for defective oil filter housing?