F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Factory production halt for defective oil filter housing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a call from my MA earlier tonight with some good news. The dealer was notified by MINI moments before that the replacement oil filter housings are being shipped and should arrive the first part of next week. He added that there are a good number of F56s affected, but not all. It is VIN specific. So this is indeed good news. My MA had said on Monday that he expected MINI to do everything they could to expedite this fix. And they did.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CobraBob
If you get your MA to clarify if indeed it was just cars built before the 14th March I’d appreciate it. Are you waiting on a Petrol Cooper as well then?

Firstly I apologise in other posts I was casting doubt on your post validity as you were the only one posting it. Your sale adviser seems on the ball and refreshingly upfront with information. That’s the way it should be when the Customer has spent so much.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/04/...#disqus_thread

Having ordered a Petrol Cooper here in the UK I’m not pleased at all that a fault has cropped up so early even before delivery. I contacted my dealer yesterday and they knew nothing but in fairness the sales guy who has been fantastic was off on holiday so had no access to the MINI system. This is a shocker! Maked me think I should have never ordered a split new Car that is just being released world wide and went with an Audi or VW no matter how boring I probably would find them. If they are more bullet proof that’s all I want a car that does not worry me. I’m sure its not a complicated fix and will not delay too long but considering the price of the car and its BMW running the show I’m not impressed.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:58 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I will ask him this morning and post up any info he is able to give me.

No problem with doubting my post validity. We've all seen rumors treated as fact in forums. I try to be careful with what I post.

Yes, my Cooper S is petrol. If all goes well, I will take delivery the end of next week. I don't think I'm going to have to wait until the 15th, although it might be that date in the end. It would be fun to pick it up at the MINI Celebration event my dealer is doing on Saturday, the 12th. We'll see.

I'm not thrilled with this happening so early either, but I have to believe it happens with new cars more frequently than we'd imagine. What is most important is how quickly the manufacturer acknowledges and fixes the problem. If MINI responds to an issue as quickly as this from here on, should an issue develop, I will be very pleased.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 AM
sav112
1st Gear
I thought it was only Cooper Models not the “S” but your MA will know more. Just got off the phone My Petrol Cooper over here in the UK was started week beginning 21st March so it would have been in the Bodyshop and Paint shop for days after that before the Mechanical bits were added. So if indeed its limited to the before the 14th I should be in the clear. They are not going to release a Car with a fault known to them any way but we as customers always need to be on guard as we don’t always get told the whole story or get told actually there is a recall but only if you ask etc.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:52 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I will bet that you are clear if it was in production towards the end of March. And yes, the issue is applicable to the 'S' model. At least that is what I was told by my MA.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Just heard from my MA. He is not aware of this being a range of production dates. But it likely is IMO. MINI just hasn't stated a range. Just individual VINs.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
I am told this AM: "We had a conference call yesterday about the coolant leak issue you heard about. It has to do with a gasket that was allowing a small amount of coolant to leak out on the outside of the oil cooler. Only a few dozen cars actually shipped to the U.S. with the issue, so yours will arrive with the corrected part already installed. No worries."

Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
That is great news for you. And helps me (and us) better understand what the issue really is.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Well if that’s true, great news and not a huge issue. ( See I’m back to doubting posts again) plus I’d rather it was out side the oil cooler than mixing with Oil if that’s right, I’m no mechanic but a small water coolant leak external has actually cheered me up. I wonder if any UK cars that hit the road on the 16th March will have to have a recall?

Makes me think that my car built after the 21st will be fine. April the 10th delivery and agreed today as my sales guy was on holiday next week to pick it up after turn around on the 14th April.

I think the main problem is Plant Oxford cant handle the demand.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
shraz
3rd Gear
damn I guess mine will be :(
was made March 12, 2014

Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 AM
sav112
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shraz
damn I guess mine will be :(
was made March 12, 2014
I don't think there is a date set in stone. Obviously I'd be asking my dealer if I was you all the same. Sounds like its an easy quick thing to fix. Good luck with the new car and if you hear anything post back.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:30 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by torpeau
I am told this AM: "We had a conference call yesterday about the coolant leak issue you heard about. It has to do with a gasket that was allowing a small amount of coolant to leak out on the outside of the oil cooler. Only a few dozen cars actually shipped to the U.S. with the issue, so yours will arrive with the corrected part already installed. No worries."
When you had that conference call, was it your understanding that the fix was replacing the actual oil filter housing or just the gasket. I ask because from what my MA was telling me it sounded like they were waiting for a replacement housing. Knowing BMW/MINI, I would expect they would replace the entire housing. Either way, it will be a rather quick fix once the part is received.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
When you had that conference call, was it your understanding that the fix was replacing the actual oil filter housing or just the gasket.
If I find out more from the person I quoted, I'll let you know.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:27 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 AM
misterbl
1st Gear
Dealership aware of the issue

I just received a call from my sales person at MINI of Plano (near Dallas). I had ordered a 2014 Hardtop (non-S) in late Feb and it arrived at the dealership on Wed. On Wed, he had communicated that he wasn't sure when I would be able to actually purchase the car. The same thing everyone has been hearing. He called me this morning to say that they "had a list of cars they could sell and a list of cars they couldn't". I asked if that was related to the issue with the oil filter housing and he said yes. Apparently, mine is on the "can sell" list and I can come complete the purchase as soon as I want. I can't go until Saturday, but at least that's a lot better than the 14th!

This does mean that dealerships in the US are aware of the housing defect issue.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
great news for you! congrats

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM
sav112
1st Gear
That sounds like even cars ordered in late Feb are ok so surly cars ordered in March must be clear of this? I ordered as I've said 3rd March and started its build on the 21st march so I hope I'm in the clear my dealer said he knew of no problem.

Considering the UK launch was march the 16th I read of no UK cars recalled. There is no way they could inform the U.S and fix only U.S cars only and leave cars in its home at fault or even risk of fault! Although its not the first time a recall has not been worldwide from mini.

Good news on your car all the same, if you pick it up no harm asking for more info on the problem.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by torpeau
If I find out more from the person I quoted, I'll let you know.
Supposedly, a gasket problem and very few cars involved.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Ok, thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:26 PM
shraz
3rd Gear
Got a call from my rep. Looks like mine is fine and that it is more to do with extreme heat areas 140F+ but they are fixing it to withstand more.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
misterbl, please post pics when you can!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:55 PM
cradlerobber
1st Gear
been driving my mcs for about a week already. called my advisor and told me mine was not included with this issue.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cradlerobber
been driving my mcs for about a week already. called my advisor and told me mine was not included with this issue.
Please post a week's worth of evaluation.
Include engine and trans options.
Paleez

Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
cradlerobber, can you post pics of your new car? Congrats, and hope you are enjoying it!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I met with my MA early this afternoon and he said the replacement gasket should be here by mid-week. If all goes well I will take delivery on Saturday at my dealer's MINI Launch Event. I saw it again today and it was tough to say goodbye.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Factory production halt for defective oil filter housing?