F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Clubman S JCW Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM
TheMightyDuck
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman S JCW Brake Upgrade?

Has anyone attempted to upgrade their regular Clubman/Clubman S brakes to JCW brakes? Is it as simple as ordering and installing JCW calipers/rotors/pads when doing a brake job? If so I would be tempted to do it when it comes time to do brakes on my car, as it would only be a marginally more expensive than just replacing the stock brakes....

Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
I would think it would more than just “marginally” more expensive than a normal brake job. You aren’t typically replacing calipers when performing a brake job....

Old 04-09-2019, 02:13 PM
TheMightyDuck
Neutral
Yes, that's true. And buying new rotors would be more expensive than just machining the existing ones. But in the grand scheme of things, if a front brake job is already $300 and a front brake job including upgrading to JCW brakes it $600, that would be very tempting.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
As an example the kit for all four corners is $1600 for the F56 JCW, plus install and potential clearance issue.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
It's a great upgrade as we have installed a few, but it does need to be coded after install.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-29-2020, 04:26 PM
3Pedal
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
It's been a while since I've read anything on here about Big Brake upgrades. I'm considering the JCW Kit, but the Wilwood also looks really nice, I like that it is more track oriented, 2-piece rotor and can easily pull the pin to change brake pads very easily.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wilwoo...5-f56-f57.html
It doesn't look like there is a matching Rear Wilwood brake kit available, at least I don't see it on the WayMotors site or on the Wilwood site, here because of the rear parking brake on other 3rd Gen Mini's ?
Are there any other Big Brake options out there other than JCW or Wilwood ?

Old 08-30-2020, 07:50 AM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMightyDuck
Has anyone attempted to upgrade their regular Clubman/Clubman S brakes to JCW brakes? Is it as simple as ordering and installing JCW calipers/rotors/pads when doing a brake job? If so I would be tempted to do it when it comes time to do brakes on my car, as it would only be a marginally more expensive than just replacing the stock brakes....
Just consider the cost of servicing a BBK versus the standard brakes. I am curious what the cost is for the standard brakes when you get them serviced as it cost me $1200 to get those JCW brakes serviced when the rotors/pads needed replacing.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:15 AM
3Pedal
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Masada
Just consider the cost of servicing a BBK versus the standard brakes. I am curious what the cost is for the standard brakes when you get them serviced as it cost me $1200 to get those JCW brakes serviced when the rotors/pads needed replacing.
If you can DIY a little then the JCW Brembo's are not anymore difficult to change than the normal 'S' calipers. I would try to DIY or buy the parts and take it to an independent shop, I've done many rotor and pad changes on other vehicles, not on the Clubman yet. Sure, you'll pay a little more for the pads and rotors for the JCW Brembo's, I'd even stick with the slotted / dimpled JCW rotors when it's time to replace but is So worth it in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:23 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
For the standard S full brake service (i.e.- pads, rotors and sensors), I was quoted just over $1400 from my local dealer at my last free service appointment. OEM parts added up to just a tick over $800, so ~$600 for labor. Compare that to just over $230 for aftermarket parts and a couple hours of my own time/work...I can still swing a wrench and will put the $1200 into my craft beer fund

Old 10-25-2020, 10:45 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Raising the semi zombie thread...

Time to replace my pads.. for the 4th time in 75k miles.. at least this time there was even pad wear (I have a previous thread related to brake issues, the passenger side front was down to metal pad on the inner pad, almost all gone on outer pad.. but the other 3 wheels had almost 75% pad left.. this happened on my 17 Clubman S and 18 Countryman S at around 30k.. two different drivers, 2 different routes, 2 different driving styles.. and Mini/BMW told me to go pound sand and refused to warranty them.. #$%#$%#@).

So I'm looking to replace my Clubman S ALL4's stock brakes with the JCW kit.. so @WayMotorWorks what is this recoding you are referencing. I have seen two kits.. the one you have, and the kit one of your competitors sells which is identical but also includes the booster, servos and master brake cylinder... and about $1k more. I can see the replacement of the booster MDC requiring coding.. but not a straight up caliper replacement....

Also, what are the differences between the willwood and JCW/Brembo kits.... curious.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:47 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Raising the semi zombie thread...

Time to replace my pads.. for the 4th time in 75k miles.. at least this time there was even pad wear (I have a previous thread related to brake issues, the passenger side front was down to metal pad on the inner pad, almost all gone on outer pad.. but the other 3 wheels had almost 75% pad left.. this happened on my 17 Clubman S and 18 Countryman S at around 30k.. two different drivers, 2 different routes, 2 different driving styles.. and Mini/BMW told me to go pound sand and refused to warranty them.. #$%#$%#@).

So I'm looking to replace my Clubman S ALL4's stock brakes with the JCW kit.. so @WayMotorWorks what is this recoding you are referencing. I have seen two kits.. the one you have, and the kit one of your competitors sells which is identical but also includes the booster, servos and master brake cylinder... and about $1k more. I can see the replacement of the booster MDC requiring coding.. but not a straight up caliper replacement....

Also, what are the differences between the willwood and JCW/Brembo kits.... curious.

Im looking to do the same. Im not thinking that the oem JCW brakes will last any longer so if that’s your intention, not sure this is the right solution. Lots of aftermarket rotors and pads are available. Ceramic, will last you longer. Not saying the initial bite or brake feel will be the same. You’ll need to bed them and they may squeal when cold, but you’ll get more mileage for sure. The big brake kit is really nice looking and I’m sure stops harder since it’s 4 pistons (I believe) versus 1 stock. I don’t know any kit outside of JCW that fits the F54. You will need to have wheels that clear them which may make for a very expensive upgrade. I understand from another thread that you need to get the coding done because the rotors are not the same size, so the ECU will react differently thinking it’s stock rotors.

Way is a super resource, but there are lower prices out there for the kit.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:46 PM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AirborneMini003
Im looking to do the same. Im not thinking that the oem JCW brakes will last any longer so if that’s your intention, not sure this is the right solution. Lots of aftermarket rotors and pads are available. Ceramic, will last you longer. Not saying the initial bite or brake feel will be the same. You’ll need to bed them and they may squeal when cold, but you’ll get more mileage for sure. The big brake kit is really nice looking and I’m sure stops harder since it’s 4 pistons (I believe) versus 1 stock. I don’t know any kit outside of JCW that fits the F54. You will need to have wheels that clear them which may make for a very expensive upgrade. I understand from another thread that you need to get the coding done because the rotors are not the same size, so the ECU will react differently thinking it’s stock rotors.

Way is a super resource, but there are lower prices out there for the kit.
Thanks for the reply. The issue I was talking about is a design flaw that BMW says is working as intended.. which is dumb if the passenger side brake is going to wear faster, then you would think thy would put the sensor on the passenger side. This was s single pad completely worn out, like it is stuck. The excuse they gave me is that it is the traction control, brake assist, hill assist and other safety systems that use the brakes causing the wear. But when 2 different cars have an identical problem at around the same mileage, that is a design flaw. Pads should wear evenly across axles.

I wonder if bimmercode has the code for the brakes, I used it to reprogram the ecu when I swapped out the battery, and other systems.. but.I have not explored it extensively...

Old 10-28-2020, 10:58 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Thanks for the reply. The issue I was talking about is a design flaw that BMW says is working as intended.. which is dumb if the passenger side brake is going to wear faster, then you would think thy would put the sensor on the passenger side. This was s single pad completely worn out, like it is stuck. The excuse they gave me is that it is the traction control, brake assist, hill assist and other safety systems that use the brakes causing the wear. But when 2 different cars have an identical problem at around the same mileage, that is a design flaw. Pads should wear evenly across axles.

I wonder if bimmercode has the code for the brakes, I used it to reprogram the ecu when I swapped out the battery, and other systems.. but.I have not explored it extensively...
Is it a mechanical or software design flaw? My pads seemed to wear pretty evenly, per my very recent brake pad change, even with a track day on them. Wonder if there is something causing the passenger front to have to be 'controlled' more (i.e.- wheel speed sensor picking something up and requiring intervention). I have a feeling our TCS is still somewhat active even if not signaling it on the dash. Could be due to a bad sensor/parameter threshold or different axle shaft lengths. There are a lot of variables to look at and evaluate if a true root cause is wanted.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:48 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
I replaced my front pads at 25,000 miles with the right front inner pad worn to the metal and the remaining 3 pads having plenty of wear remaining. In my mind, either a defect in design or a mechnical issue from manufacturing. I believe the caliper was hanging up due to a lack of lubrication on the caliper slides. We'll see how this set wears. I am pretty hard on the brakes, but have never seen this little mileage on a set of brakes on any car I have ever owned. Been driving for 40 years......

Old 11-13-2020, 10:23 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Original owner of our car had a (sticking) caliper replaced and pads changed under warranty.
Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it.