F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Just ordered my first MINI, but have a question on my spec!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:03 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just ordered my first MINI, but have a question on my spec!

Very excited to join the world of MINI owners! I just put in my order for a Clubman S ALL4 (spec sheet attached) on Saturday April 29th.

I must admit though I'm debating on whether or not I should have one option changed with my order. I went with the LED headlights but not the Adaptive lights as they're more of a cornering light rather than a true steering type headlight and I thought it may not be worth the money. Now I'm second guessing myself.

I've read a few posts about being worth it on some R56 MINIs and it seems like a mixed bag of opinions. The adaptive lights are also more of a grayish hue in the housing as well so also thinking of the aesthetic of the lights.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Just ordered my first MINI, but have a question on my spec!-clubman-s-all4-order-sheet.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Adaptive lights are great as far as I'm concerned. I bought used and luckily for me they were on the car. My wife's MINI doesn't have them and it is "night and day" difference. Those dark corners are no more.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:17 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by miniluvrF54
Very excited to join the world of MINI owners! I just put in my order for a Clubman S ALL4 (spec sheet attached) on Saturday April 29th.

I must admit though I'm debating on whether or not I should have one option changed with my order. I went with the LED headlights but not the Adaptive lights as they're more of a cornering light rather than a true steering type headlight and I thought it may not be worth the money. Now I'm second guessing myself.

I've read a few posts about being worth it on some R56 MINIs and it seems like a mixed bag of opinions. The adaptive lights are also more of a grayish hue in the housing as well so also thinking of the aesthetic of the lights.

Thoughts?
Welcome. I've been lovin' my Clubman S All4. I have LED's but not cornering -- the LED's are bright and, having had the cornering on other cars, I haven't missed it on the MINI. You may want to add a spare tire in case you decide to move away from runflats, as many do. Also wheel locks installed at the port can be residualized if you lease.

Final note on making your deal -- MINI/BMWNA is doing interesting things with manufacturer-to-dealer incentives that are not publicized or visible on the MINI USA web site. So be sure to ask your dealer if "all available incentives and discounts have been included" in your deal, and ask them to break it all down for you so you can see what they've done. And remember, if the April rates (your order date) are better than what's available on delivery date, you want to have the locked option to get the April rates.

Enjoy the wait for your new car -- it's part of the adventure.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:57 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Thank you both for the info. Good tips 2017All4 on making a deal.

Minnie, can the adaptive function be turned off through settings if it was annoying for some reason?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Minnie, can the adaptive function be turned off through settings if it was annoying for some reason?
Not that I know of. You could probably "code" it out if you wanted or get someone with coding cable/software and knowledge to do so.

Can't imagine why it would be annoying however.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:12 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Thanks Minnie. It probably won't be, but my curiosity had me wondering.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Thoughts?
Definitely add the cornering lights. I find them useful. Add the spare, for $100, it will be worth every penny. Also, keep in mind when you replace the runflats, you may not want them on the car and then you will want a spare.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:15 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear

Thoughts?
BTW, if you don't order the spare and change your mind after it's too late, here's the aggravation you have to go through like I did to get one for the car....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-package.html

Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 AM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I'd get the spare if I was buying but it's a lease so I'll likely stick with runflats because it's gotta go back with runflats. I'd definitely get the spare if I was buying though!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I'd get the spare if I was buying but it's a lease so I'll likely stick with runflats because it's gotta go back with runflats. I'd definitely get the spare if I was buying though!
I'm leasing I got the spare and the wheel locks as I'm only paying 35% of the cost -- the remainder is residualized!!

ALSO, today is the last "official" day of the current $1,500 lease cash offer. Tomorrow there may be a new program. Who knows? Just make sure you've locked a final price because while you can lock money factor, you can't lock rebates.

As for sticking with run flats -- they maybe last 25,000 miles, perhaps a bit more if you don't push the car. I bought nice non-run flats and stuck the run flats in the garage to return, as new, at lease end. I figured I'd be buying a set of tires one way or the other, so why not ditch the nasty run flats, enjoy better tires (for a lower cost/tire than replacement run flats) and then give the original run flats back with the lease return. Nothing you need to decide today. But for a net cost to you of probably less than $50, I'd consider getting the spare.

Besides, if you have it, you'll never need it. Right?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My original "summer tire" runflats only lasted 16,000 miles. I got longer lasting ones as replacements and they "only" cost about $700 out the door.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Man I pulled up along side of an F54 yesterday in Prescott, AZ and the top of the car looked like a freaking football field compared with my car's top! Nice looking car though. I like the back end especially with those barn doors. Other than that is it much different than the 4 door model?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 AM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Does the spare tire take up the whole area under the lift up portion of the trunk? Anyone have pics of the spare in the trunk?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Does the spare tire take up the whole area under the lift up portion of the trunk? Anyone have pics of the spare in the trunk?
It doesn't take up the whole area, ~2/3's of it though. To see a pic go here:

This link is above as well. I should snap a pic of mine with all the 'stuff' I have packed around my spare. Mainly 'emergency' type items that I have collected over the years and moved from car to car.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd say it occupies about 2/3 of the space - still enough left for a couple of packed sleeping bags or a decent sized duffel if you're on a long trip. We've taken out the floor on some really long trips, as that gives more room to cram stuff in.
The other annoyance is there's a metal retainer bracket of some sort (about 4"x5"), toward the back of the spare tire well. This is only present on models with the spare tire spec'ed from the factory or fitted at the dealer (the item is listed on the bill of parts for the spare tire add on). Even with the tire removed and the floor out, this would get in the way of maximizing the usable space. I presume it's there in case the rather small bolt holding the tire down were to fail, to prevent the wheel from bouncing up and down. Either way, I plan on getting rid of it we can use all the space if needed.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
2/3

Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
May Clubman lease deals just announced. Looks like the $925 acquisition fee is not being charged and there is lease cash plus dealer participation in discounting.

If one negotiated hard on cap reduction, there could be very good deals had -- and Clubman S is residualized over 60%, which is good for this late in the model year.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
If you don't order the spare, here's the aggravation you have to go through...

Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Thanks 2017ALL4. My dealer showed the residual on the Cooper S ALL4 at 60% even and the JCW at 57%....

Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Thanks 2017ALL4. My dealer showed the residual on the Cooper S ALL4 at 60% even and the JCW at 57%....
Go to MINI USA and look at the new May Shopping and Offers. Divide the listed residual (in the fine print of the offer details) by the MSRP. (20,034/31,800=.63) 63% residual on Cooper S All4. Dealers tell you all sorts of things. Trust, but verify!!

Lease financing available on new 2017 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4 models, from participating MINI Dealers through MINI Financial Services through 05/31/17 to eligible, qualified customers with excellent credit history who meet MINI Financial Services' credit requirements. Monthly lease payments of $299 per month for 36 months is based on an adjusted capitalized cost of $28,260 (MSRP of $31,800 including Automatic Transmission and destination and handling fee of $850, $0 security deposit, and $1,500 Lease credit). Actual MSRP may vary. $675 Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual monthly lease payment. Lessee responsible for insurance during the lease term and any excess wear and tear as defined in the lease contract, $.25/mile over 30,000 miles and a disposition fee of $350 at lease end. Cash due at signing includes $1,365 down payment, $299 first month payment, $0 acquisition fee, and $0 security deposit. Not all customers will qualify for security deposit waiver. Tax, title, license, registration and dealer fees are additional fees due at signing. Advertised payment does not include applicable taxes. Purchase option at lease end, excluding tax, title and government fees, is $20,034. Offer valid through 05/31/17 and may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
Confirmed my 12k mile/year lease residual is actually 62%. The way they showed it on the deal was 60% for 15k miles/year and then in another section adjusted it to 62% for 12k miles/ year. Thought I was gettin the shaft for a minute!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:24 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Go to MINI USA and look at the new May Shopping and Offers. Divide the listed residual (in the fine print of the offer details) by the MSRP. (20,034/31,800=.63) 63% residual on Cooper S All4. Dealers tell you all sorts of things. Trust, but verify!!

Lease financing available on new 2017 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4 models, from participating MINI Dealers through MINI Financial Services through 05/31/17 to eligible, qualified customers with excellent credit history who meet MINI Financial Services' credit requirements. Monthly lease payments of $299 per month for 36 months is based on an adjusted capitalized cost of $28,260 (MSRP of $31,800 including Automatic Transmission and destination and handling fee of $850, $0 security deposit, and $1,500 Lease credit). Actual MSRP may vary. $675 Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual monthly lease payment. Lessee responsible for insurance during the lease term and any excess wear and tear as defined in the lease contract, $.25/mile over 30,000 miles and a disposition fee of $350 at lease end. Cash due at signing includes $1,365 down payment, $299 first month payment, $0 acquisition fee, and $0 security deposit. Not all customers will qualify for security deposit waiver. Tax, title, license, registration and dealer fees are additional fees due at signing. Advertised payment does not include applicable taxes. Purchase option at lease end, excluding tax, title and government fees, is $20,034. Offer valid through 05/31/17 and may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated.
That lease is only 10k miles/year. $300/month.

Confirmed my 12k mile/year lease residual is actually 62%. The way they showed it on the deal was 60% for 15k miles/year and then in another section adjusted it to 62% for 12k miles/ year. Thought I was gettin the shaft for a minute!
Who cares what the residual is on a lease? You walk away from it and lease another car. All you care about is how much you pay the dealer over the 3 years, and how many miles/year they give you, right?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM
miniluvrF54
2nd Gear
The residual value is a component of the lease cost. Your lease payment is calculated by taking the MSRP and multiplying it by the residual value that the bank figures the car is worth after 3 years and X amount of miles, which is why that was a factor since it makes the lease payment much more expensive.

On a side note, I got my final build and production number today. I didn't end up doing the spare tire as I plan to do snows in the winter and deal with the run flats that came on the car during the summer, but all the input has been amazing in making my decisions!

Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 PM
FriFred
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Man I pulled up along side of an F54 yesterday in Prescott, AZ and the top of the car looked like a freaking football field compared with my car's top! Nice looking car though. I like the back end especially with those barn doors. Other than that is it much different than the 4 door model?
I replaced my 2015 4dr Hardtop S with a 2017 Clubman S All4. The Clubman is larger (longer and wider) and roomier. And, although it is basically the same car inside, except for the size of course, it seems a bit more luxury like. And, it seems to be more solid. So yes, they are different beyond the rear doors.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FriFred
I replaced my 2015 4dr Hardtop S with a 2017 Clubman S All4. The Clubman is larger (longer and wider) and roomier. And, although it is basically the same car inside, except for the size of course, it seems a bit more luxury like. And, it seems to be more solid. So yes, they are different beyond the rear doors.
Before acquiring our 2017 Clubman S All4, we drove other MINI models, none of which resonated with us. Then we drove the Clubby, and placed our order.

Yes, it's just a little different than the others in lots of ways -- which is why many MINI purists aren't lovin' the new Clubman. But, for those of us who never before considered the MINI brand, the Clubman became the gateway drug, and WE ARE HOOKED!