F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 How to remove third brake light to install Pulsar flasher

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How to remove third brake light to install Pulsar flasher

Since I haven't see any posts on here of anyone installing a Pulsar on their F54, here are the instructions to remove the third brake light. I have yet to do this. I hope to install it tomorrow. Pics will follow.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by 03mini-S; 12-30-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the concept of a flashing third brake light... But is there any state or federal DOT law prohibiting this configuration?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
In some locations flashing lights are not legit. One company gets around that claiming that the light pulses and doesn't flash, they claim it is legal. I spoke via email with Pulsar owner and he said basically my product Pulses.

Btw Pulsar is way cheaper than the other company product.

Anyway I will gladly except the rare chance of a ticket over a rear ender.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrelly
I really like the concept of a flashing third brake light... But is there any state or federal DOT law prohibiting this configuration?
Interesting question, maybe someone on here actually knows. Based on the fact most new Hyundai's and a lot of new Toyota's have 'flashing' third brake lights now, I would have to believe in the lower-48 there are not any restrictions. I can't see those companies having to configure their vehicles based on state of sale...unless they have some kind of jumper/pin that dealers have to set in specific states. Now international locations, no idea there.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
Interesting question, maybe someone on here actually knows. Based on the fact most new Hyundai's and a lot of new Toyota's have 'flashing' third brake lights now, I would have to believe in the lower-48 there are not any restrictions. I can't see those companies having to configure their vehicles based on state of sale...unless they have some kind of jumper/pin that dealers have to set in specific states. Now international locations, no idea there.
Just an fyi, if you panic stop the F54, you're brake lights will also pulse. They come that way from the factory.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 03mini-S
Just an fyi, if you panic stop the F54, you're brake lights will also pulse. They come that way from the factory.
Are you sure about that? Just curious, since the only information in the electronic manual about the brake lights is in reference to the brake force display (see attached). It supposedly illuminates the 'flasher' lights but doesn't mention anything about flashing the lights.

Snapshot from the electronic copy of the F54 manual.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Sounds like bad language. By lightning up flashers you are using flashing lights.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Which is why it would be great if the lights in the rear doors also lit up when braking. Or, at least, when the car went into the heavy brake mode. I'm still hoping someone smarter than I am comes up with a clever and easy mod for this for the F54.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Brake Force lighting will not flash in the US. It just illuminates extra lights when hard braking.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:23 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
The way I take the snippet from the manual is that instead of just (2) bulbs illuminating under hard braking, you will get all (4) bulbs in the bumper lenses to light...but not flash. Based on comments from my friends, they have all stated that the brake lights are actually very bright at night, so I could only imagine if you double the light under hard braking at night.

Those inner segment lights are your rear turn signals when the rear barn door(s) are open. Just toss on your emergency flashers and open one of the rear barn doors to verify the operation.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
The way I take the snippet from the manual is that instead of just (2) bulbs illuminating under hard braking, you will get all (4) bulbs in the bumper lenses to light...but not flash. Based on comments from my friends, they have all stated that the brake lights are actually very bright at night, so I could only imagine if you double the light under hard braking at night.

Those inner segment lights are your rear turn signals when the rear barn door(s) are open. Just toss on your emergency flashers and open one of the rear barn doors to verify the operation.
All 4 lights illuminate when the brakes are applied normally on mine with the LED option package, not just two.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:54 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Brake Force lighting will not flash in the US. It just illuminates extra lights when hard braking.
All 4 lights in the bumper illuminate on my car with the LED package when the brakes are applied normally.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 AM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$5 for a module from SuperbrightLEDs.com
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...#/tab/Overview

Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
All 4 lights illuminate when the brakes are applied normally on mine with the LED option package, not just two.
Interesting, will have to see if mine does the same thing as I have the LED package as well. Being in the driver's seat all the time doesn't offer me many chances to view the brake lights.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
All 4 lights in the bumper illuminate on my car with the LED package when the brakes are applied normally.
I believe the turn signal lights light up also under hard braking on the Clubman

Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I believe the turn signal lights light up also under hard braking on the Clubman
Is this confirmed? Does your statement mean that the rear turn signals located in the rear door lights on the Clubman do, indeed, illuminate during hard (panic) braking?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Is this confirmed? Does your statement mean that the rear turn signals located in the rear door lights on the Clubman do, indeed, illuminate during hard (panic) braking?
They do on the F55/F56 but looking at the manual online, it does say the bumper turn indicators, but not the barn door turn indicators, so actually I may be mistaken.

What we need is someone to follow a Clubman that slams on their brakes and report back what happens!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I followed a Clubman S tonight on my commute home (in my own Clubman S).

I'll say it confused me. All FOUR lights in the bumper come on with normal braking. Which means that there's nothing else down there to come on during panic braking.

I will test panic braking this weekend and have my son record some video, so we can all see what happens.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GDGR
I followed a Clubman S tonight on my commute home (in my own Clubman S).

I'll say it confused me. All FOUR lights in the bumper come on with normal braking. Which means that there's nothing else down there to come on during panic braking.

I will test panic braking this weekend and have my son record some video, so we can all see what happens.
Excellent plan. We await word from you. Thanks

Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
I too can confirm all (4) bulbs illuminate under any application of the brakes, even sitting still in the driveway. I sent my better half behind the car in the driveway last night to check for me and she confirmed all come on.

I too have heard that the turn signals will also illuminate up in the doors under 'panic' braking, but have yet to hear of any confirmation. I guess we will have to wait for GDGR's report from his experiment.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:23 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
My son and I did the test. From 35 mph to zero, full panic stop, full ABS.

There is no brake force display. Same behavior as standard braking -- all four bumper lights come on but nothing additional. I suppose it could be different from high speed but I didn't want to do that in my residential neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
From 35 mph to zero, full panic stop, full ABS.

There is no brake force display. Same behavior as standard braking -- all four bumper lights come on but nothing additional. I suppose it could be different from high speed but I didn't want to do that in my residential neighborhood.
Thanks for the report!!

So... anyone figure out how to get the barn door lights to come on when braking

Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Old 02-18-2017, 03:39 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Hummm.... deep stuff. Don't think my Carly will do it. Have to do real coding.

So step 1 is to determine if my car has rear fogs. I don't have a rear fog button on the light switch module. But if the bulbs are there it might be possible to code to activate them with the brakes, or, for an old geezer like me, just go all analog and jump a wire from the brake B+ feed wire up to the fogs. Then, any time the brakes are tapped, at whatever intensity, the rear door fogs light up along with the bumper brake lights and the third high light bar.

I'll do a little digging to see if there are bulbs in the fog light socket area in the rear doors. Or at least sockets.

Only issue I can think of, besides figuring out how to run the wires, is if the extra wattage demand will trigger a fault code.

Deep stuff

Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I'll do a little digging to see if there are bulbs in the fog light socket area in the rear doors. Or at least sockets.

Only issue I can think of, besides figuring out how to run the wires, is if the extra wattage demand will trigger a fault code.
So I removed the rear light module from the rear door and discovered two bulbs present. One is the reverse lamp the other is the non-functioning fog lamp. The third, smaller lamp socket is wired but empty on my car. The owner's guide says it's supposed to be a tail light. When I turn on the headlights and/or parking lights, with one or both rear barn doors open, the only tail lights that illuminate are the lower bumper lights that are part of the bumper brake light module. When the barn doors are closed and the headlights/parking lights are on, the rear door tail lights illuminate.

The wiring for all three lamps is present along with a single brown common. So it seems it will be straightforward to trace and tap the gray wire that comes from the fog lamp.

I am wondering if the LED light package is what is making my tail lights differ from the owner's guide???

First order of business is to get with my dealer to sort out why there are no tail light lamps present in this module. Interesting.

Last edited by 2017All4; 02-19-2017 at 10:29 AM.