F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 F54: 4 months in, here's what I'd change

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
F54: 4 months in, here's what I'd change

I'm now 4 months into F54 Clubman ownership. I've still seen only one other one here in the SF Bay Area.

I'm really happy with my car, but there are a couple of things I would change if I were going to order a new one:

1) LED headlights vs. the Halogens. The Halogens are pretty lousy. I didn't think this would be the case, since I've been really happy with the halogens on my older BMWs, such as my M Coupe and M3. Here in Silicon Valley suburbia, roads are generally straight and there are a lot of street lights, totally different from the New England areas where I grew up. So I haven't bothered with headlight upgrades. But this time, I wish I had, and I would if I had it to do again. I'd therefore get the sport package, which has the headlights and throws in the suspension bits for effectively no extra charge (I already have the 18" wheels).

2) Piano Black vs. "Mini Yours Fiber Alloy Illuminated". I got the fiber alloy trimnot because I wanted the illumination, but because I wanted the constrasting metallic color on the door panels. And I'm happy with that and I don't mind the illumination. But what bothers me is that I hadn't realized that by ordering this trim, the main dash trim would turn into this metallic herringbone pattern. It's nice, but it's just one too many patterns in the car. Between the herringbone, the tartan, and the diamond pattern on the Cross Punch Leather seats ... too much, too busy. So I'd blow this off next time and just go with Piano Black.

3) Rear View Camera: looks like you can now get the camera without the XL display for 2017. I'd do that. It's just smart. I have the backup sensors now but although the only car I've ever had with a backup camera was my 36' motorhome, it's just a good idea.

4) Spare tire: I didn't bother last time because I almost never get flats, and, y'know, the car comes with run-flats. And who wants to carry around more weight? But now I'm thinking the run-flats have gotta go (they are loud and have a bad ride), and I never use the storage where the tire goes, so sure, let's cart around a tire (and a jack and lug wrench, I assume?). It's only $100.

So, yeah, I'd spend $1400 more the next time around, and it would be well worth it.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:57 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah I'd have gotten the LEDs and the backup too. I think my BiXenons are fine, and they look better than LED but you can't get those, either halogen or LED. I saw a Clubman in Scottsdale showroom when I was in for service. Man that's a nice interior! I'm trying to talk my wife into one, but she wants a red Charger lol.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah I'd have gotten the LEDs and the backup too. I think my BiXenons are fine, and they look better than LED but you can't get those, either halogen or LED. I saw a Clubman in Scottsdale showroom when I was in for service. Man that's a nice interior! I'm trying to talk my wife into one, but she wants a red Charger lol.
Had the HID on my R55, now have the LED on my F55. I much prefer the HID's; the LED headlamps have serious color fringing and a distinct purple tint that I find both distracting and irritating. The HIDs had a nice, even white light output all the way across their range. Feels like a bit of a down-grade … but still far better than halogens.

(You can make a really great halogen reflector headlamp if you want to. I don't think BMW wants to; they want to sell us cost-extra upgrades to decent quality lighting. )

Old 07-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
F54

Originally Posted by GDGR
I'm now 4 months into F54 Clubman ownership. I've still seen only one other one here in the SF Bay Area.

I'm really happy with my car, but there are a couple of things I would change if I were going to order a new one:

1) LED headlights vs. the Halogens. The Halogens are pretty lousy. I didn't think this would be the case, since I've been really happy with the halogens on my older BMWs, such as my M Coupe and M3. Here in Silicon Valley suburbia, roads are generally straight and there are a lot of street lights, totally different from the New England areas where I grew up. So I haven't bothered with headlight upgrades. But this time, I wish I had, and I would if I had it to do again. I'd therefore get the sport package, which has the headlights and throws in the suspension bits for effectively no extra charge (I already have the 18" wheels).

2) Piano Black vs. "Mini Yours Fiber Alloy Illuminated". I got the fiber alloy trimnot because I wanted the illumination, but because I wanted the constrasting metallic color on the door panels. And I'm happy with that and I don't mind the illumination. But what bothers me is that I hadn't realized that by ordering this trim, the main dash trim would turn into this metallic herringbone pattern. It's nice, but it's just one too many patterns in the car. Between the herringbone, the tartan, and the diamond pattern on the Cross Punch Leather seats ... too much, too busy. So I'd blow this off next time and just go with Piano Black.

3) Rear View Camera: looks like you can now get the camera without the XL display for 2017. I'd do that. It's just smart. I have the backup sensors now but although the only car I've ever had with a backup camera was my 36' motorhome, it's just a good idea.

4) Spare tire: I didn't bother last time because I almost never get flats, and, y'know, the car comes with run-flats. And who wants to carry around more weight? But now I'm thinking the run-flats have gotta go (they are loud and have a bad ride), and I never use the storage where the tire goes, so sure, let's cart around a tire (and a jack and lug wrench, I assume?). It's only $100.

So, yeah, I'd spend $1400 more the next time around, and it would be well worth it.
Excellent analysis, good information. Thanks for sharing!

Ride Hard. Ride Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1) my wife opted for the halogens. I'd consider the sport package like you said had we the chance to order again, but I'm not annoyed about the light output. It is fine for us.
2) I am happy with the standard interior to be honest.
3) base screen with H&K upgrade and backup camera FTW. Very happy with this setup. Excellent quality camera, too.
4) went with the spare and think it was a good idea. Run flats are only useful if you get a flat near civilization. I've had two in my life and one would have left me high and dry with run flats and no spare.

I like the 18" wheels, but part of me thinks I should have purchased the 17" with all seasons and gone aftermarket for summer wheels and tires. My wife already curbed those beautiful, black 18" wheels. SMH.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:29 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't know of anyone who regrets getting the LED headlamps over the halogens. I love my LEDS! I think they're fantastic. I do regret getting the run flats. I railed against them, but the salespeople swore up and down how much better their ride is now, versus my 1st-gen MINI's. Perhaps, but the more I think about it, the more stupid and pointless they seem. When time to replace them, I'm getting all-seasons.

My regret list is small, as I still stand by my options choices. I wouldn't have gotten parking assist (self-parking), as I rarely use it, like a handful of times ever. I do love having front sonar sensors though. They're useful! Not sure if you can have one without the other. I would have gotten the MINI Yours or JCW steering wheel. Can that be swapped for? I would have gotten the dynamic suspension.

That's about it.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:08 AM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
I don't know of anyone who regrets getting the LED headlamps over the halogens. I love my LEDS! I think they're fantastic. I do regret getting the run flats. I railed against them, but the salespeople swore up and down how much better their ride is now, versus my 1st-gen MINI's. Perhaps, but the more I think about it, the more stupid and pointless they seem. When time to replace them, I'm getting all-seasons.

My regret list is small, as I still stand by my options choices. I wouldn't have gotten parking assist (self-parking), as I rarely use it, like a handful of times ever. I do love having front sonar sensors though. They're useful! Not sure if you can have one without the other. I would have gotten the MINI Yours or JCW steering wheel. Can that be swapped for? I would have gotten the dynamic suspension.

That's about it.
We have the parking sensors and the backup camera sans parking assist. I agree I t is a really nice system with the red/yellow alerts showing up on the backup screen.

If you paid the $1k for the LED headlights, the adjustable suspension is very cheap via the sport package.

Honestly, these run flats are far better than the ones than the ones that shipped on my wife's R53 S. I'm continually impressed with the ride of the Clubman S. It grips well and is very well damped. It isn't nearly as harsh as I remember our R53 on run flats. They did an excellent job.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:19 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Just want to shout out to GDGR and others for the great reports on their initial experience with their Clubmen (Clubmans?). The insights in this thread informed our ordering decisions.

We went with fully loaded, heated memory seats, stayed with 17" rims (and the spare with jack, which still left some room in the spare storage area). LOVE the sunroof, the back up camera/sensors, the larger nav, and the adaptive suspension makes a world of improved difference. Yes, the build got pricey, creeping over $40K, BUT, with incentives and a killer deal, the lease is inexpensive and the drive-offs were low. Lovin' the car, though it's early days. Most fun with a new car in years, and we've had some hot rides in the past, including a Jag XK, Jag XJ, Range Rovers... just sayin', old as we are, this Mini is a total hoot and, dollar-for-dollar, and pound-for-pound, the best bang for our motoring buck yet.

Also have:
JCW wheel
Sport Auto Tranny with Paddles (nice!!)
Gray Lounge Leather ( really classy with the contrasting trim around the climate controls and in the door panels and the seat contrast piping is nice, too)
Alarm
Garage door opener HomeLink in the rearview mirror
LED lights (nice)
Folding mirrors (why they don't fold when you lock the car or unfold upon unlock seems cheap to me)

Last edited by 2017All4; 11-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:42 AM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Folding mirrors (why they don't fold when you lock the car or unfold upon unlock seems cheap to me)
I like the switch for folding. They get folded as I pull into the (narrow) garage, and stay folded. I don't fold them back out until I have backed up far enough to clear the garage door. If I had no control and they just folded/unfolded when parked, they'd get scratched.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:31 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
My 2017 All4 Clubman S (digital blue) has made it to the port! I look forward to sharing my experience with everyone.

I was able to order the car at an exceptional price as I had 3 dealer competing for my business. With options car priced out at $36,450 and ordered price is $31,675.

I went with the rear view camera, badge deletion, roof rails, Premium package which includes sunroof and HK upgrade, Sport package, LED headlights, AS tires, Cold weather package. I did not get the spare tire, hopefully I won't regret this decision. Salesman claims the AS tires are run flats.

I'll post pics and impressions as soon I've had the car awhile.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:03 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GDGR
I like the switch for folding. They get folded as I pull into the (narrow) garage, and stay folded. I don't fold them back out until I have backed up far enough to clear the garage door. If I had no control and they just folded/unfolded when parked, they'd get scratched.
I like the switch for folding the mirrors too. What would make the system better, IMHO, is if there were a user-selectable setting that would, at the user's option, enable the integration of mirror folding into key fob and/or outside door lock buttons. I've had this option on other cars and it is nice when you walk away from the car and the doors lock, the alarm sets, and the mirrors fold in all with one touch of a button. I've put in a request to the good folks at Mini to see if they will support this programmed function option to be added through Mini dealers. For owners as you, who prefer manual control via the button, that option would remain.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:42 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
My 2017 All4 Clubman S (digital blue) has made it to the port! I look forward to sharing my experience with everyone.

I was able to order the car at an exceptional price as I had 3 dealer competing for my business. With options car priced out at $36,450 and ordered price is $31,675.

I went with the rear view camera, badge deletion, roof rails, Premium package which includes sunroof and HK upgrade, Sport package, LED headlights, AS tires, Cold weather package. I did not get the spare tire, hopefully I won't regret this decision. Salesman claims the AS tires are run flats.

I'll post pics and impressions as soon I've had the car awhile.
Congratulations on ordering your new Clubby. Nice build! Using the formula from the Art of the Deal thread, your deal looks like this:
36,450 - 850 destination x .92 = 32,752 + 850 destination = estimated dealer invoice of 33,602. Subract rebates and incentives from that. Any way you slice it, you landed yourself a sweet deal on a great Clubman. Enjoy driving your Mini as much as you "enjoyed" driving a good purchase negotiation

Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
FYI everyone. Started a new thread on Power Mirror Activation.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:00 AM
miata1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire question

If you order a base Clubman with all season tires, are they
standard or run flats?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by miata1
If you order a base Clubman with all season tires, are they
standard or run flats?
They all ship with runflats. The new Pirellis aren't as bad as previous RF's.
If you order a Clubman, consider adding the spare -- it fits nicely in the rear covered storage compartment, still leaving space in the compartment, and it comes with the jack and tools, and it's cheap -- Order Code is, I think 300, and it adds $100 to the price of the car.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:15 PM
miata1
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by 2017All4
They all ship with runflats. The new Pirellis aren't as bad as previous RF's.
If you order a Clubman, consider adding the spare -- it fits nicely in the rear covered storage compartment, still leaving space in the compartment, and it comes with the jack and tools, and it's cheap -- Order Code is, I think 300, and it adds $100 to the price of the car.
Thanks for the info.
When we order, I was planing on getting the spare and jack, best $100.00
option MINI has.
I'll buy regular tires and have the dealer keep the runflats for a credit.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by miata1
Thanks for the info.
When we order, I was planing on getting the spare and jack, best $100.00
option MINI has.
I'll buy regular tires and have the dealer keep the runflats for a credit.
Good plan, if the dealer will work with you on tires. If you lease, you need to return the car with run flats so you can do as others have -- store the run flats and remount them at lease turn in time. Or, if you purchase your Clubman, there will be someone out there who leased and needs new run flats for lease turn in because their original tires are worn beyond Mini's tough lease return standards.

Be sure to check out the How to Buy a New Mini, the Art of the Deal thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-the-deal.html

And good luck with your deal.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Johnny Danger
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LED's and Harmon Kardon are a must!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 PM
TC Mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
LED's and Harmon Kardon are a must!
...Have them both, and 100% agree!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very happy with our 2016 S Clubman. Would have gotten the LED headlights but couldn't get them with the other options we wanted. Halogens are OK, I think. Opted for Nokian all season tires (WRG3). It's a compromise to avoid having to change tires twice a year. They are reasonably good on dry pavement and reasonably good on snow. I think dedicated summer and snow tires are better (we are in Wisconsin) but my wife is the primary driver and is not as picky about summer performance. I am driving the 2013 S Clubman. Stock Continentals for summer and Michelin X-Ice for winter are great.

Yes on the Harmon Kardon for sure, if you are an audio person.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
6 days in and love it! Glad I ordered full LED headlight package. Well worth it! Also, HK system sounds great. In hindsite, I should have ordered the spare! For the price, you can't go wrong. I didn't want to lose the storage, but realized later that I really don't have a need for all of the open space under the floor where the spare goes :(. Could use a little more power band and plan to add Dinatronics soon....

Old 12-06-2016, 01:48 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Wish I had added the 40/20/40 folding rear seat back, not because we wanted the 3 sections, which we didn't really want, but we didn't realize that the standard 60/40 configuration does not include the rear folding armrest which is a feature that is nice if you haul 2 rear passengers.

Last edited by 2017All4; 12-07-2016 at 09:19 AM.