European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Ship Car or Buy New?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
clumanjenn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ship Car or Buy New?

I'll most likely be transferring with work to the Netherlands. I currently own my Mini Cooper Clubman. Should I have it shipped over with me? Or do I try to sell it here and buy a new one once I get settled over there? Let's just assume money isn't a "huge" factor, but I'd like to have something to drive once I'm there.

Annddd.... Discuss...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is you car currently?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If it is a us speced car....sell it in the us...buy a new/different one upon arrival.
some folks in the us armed services have taken delivery of us speced cars in germany, just to have warrenty issues on vin issues upon returning to the us....
I would assume since the car is sold and warrantied by a different entity than sells them in the Netherlands, and there might be other different specs (software, radio, lights), serviceing might be hard even once all legal mods are madw to make it a legal car....plus the sizable tax bill of almost 50% most euro nations charge on car imports....

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
clumanjenn
1st Gear
It's in Upstate New York currently.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you currently under warranty?
If so, will that warranty be honored in Europe?
I've read that warranties work differently over there, but don't know any facts about that.

And congrats on the transfer.
I would love to move to NE for a couple of years.

Edit: What does it cost to ship?
We have discussed picking up a car in Oxford, driving around for a few weeks, and shipping it back to the US.
Just dreaming though.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
clumanjenn
1st Gear
I was hoping to get that answered. I wonder about the warranty. Thanks it's all still only possible at this point not definite. But I do work for a Dutch company so it's very likely.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
There is a member posting from Germany that I was reading a few days ago.
I can't remember his nic.
He mentioned that warranties in Europe have deductibles and aren't always honored from country to country, IIRC.
I didn't pay real close attention because it has no bearing on my life, but I was surprised. I would have thought that dealerships in member countries of the EU would have that sort of thing worked out.
I'll see if I can find those posts.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Remember..
The US car was sold by MINI USA....it is a different entienty than the euro mini...
Most mini sales, franchises, etc are set up nation by nation...most likly for tax, legal etc reasons, but do know the $$ you paid on the sale of the car when new went to the us warrenty arm...
Different countries sell mini's at varying markups....the us gets a very good deal, but i strongly would say sell....
Picture this...you import you car to the netherlands, pay $$ to modifiy it, and then are unable to plug into the local mini dealers system to trouble shoot....so ypu try to sell...good luck...so you keep it, ship it back to the us...modify it AGIN back to us spec...
generwly when planning on moving overseas it makes sense to bring as little as possible...even clothing and household items are a pain as they "just don't fit" on many levels...from size, to style, to cultural preferences.....
Consider an international move to be akin to starting over...a chance to reinvent, and redefine....the reason to make the move...if you are making the move trying to hold onto much of home at all, you will not be happy. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
clumanjenn
1st Gear
I"m actually looking at that ZippyH. I might go for the really cool concept of the Mini ONE Minimalist. I like the MPG or KPL or whatever. It'll be easier I think to just get everything to match with over there. I might like to modify it to bring it back to the US, but we'll see. Perhaps by then the US will carry the better models!!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
This sounds like a plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 AM
daveke
2nd Gear
Dutch cars are a lot more expensive than US-cars.. So if the shipping is not that big of a deal I'd still look into it.

Due to Dutch taxes cars are about 1/3 of the US price more.
Where will you be located? The Dutch MINI scene is really nice though! You should check into the club and do some meetings once over here

The speccing shouldnt be different that much, you have sidemarkers on all cars, some in Holland have it to. Lighting is not an issue, and switching gauges is stupid to do.. Youre better off sticking a piece of paper with KPH-MPH conversions on your dash untill youre used to it. Maybe Nav and radio are different, but it might be better to use a small GPS Device that takes you around Europe easier like a TomTom

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Francoissav
Neutral
According to the length of time you intend to stay you will have to pay import duties in the Netherlands, as well as having to get all the certificates confirming the car is EU compliant. Generally shipping a car from the USA is not that expensive, especially if you are on the East Coast.

USA warranty would not automatically cover you for Europe, though a car purchased in Europe is covered mostly throughout the EU on the manufacturers warranty.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Francoissav
Neutral
To finish my thread it all depends as to how well you can sell the car in the USA and how attached you are in keeping it. The less headaches is to sell it and by a new one in Europe

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Francoissav
To finish my thread it all depends as to how well you can sell the car in the USA and how attached you are in keeping it. The less headaches is to sell it and by a new one in Europe
+1

You also have the option of buying the Euro Mini with the turbo diesel. It has fantastic fuel mileage with pretty decent performance. That will be important once you see the price of fuel - gasoline is about $9.50/gallon and diesel is slightly less.

Another thing to consider is you driver's license. You can get an international license from AAA for short term stays. It depends on how long you are going to be there but you may have to get the Euro license and they are a bit expensive.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 AM
clumanjenn
1st Gear
Hello All,
I wanted to give an update. I paid €1350 to ship the car over with household goods. It required zero modifications! The switch to show km on the dash is easy, the whole speedometer is still in mph. That wasn't a problem, as long as kph is visible somewhere. Since it came over with household goods, there is no tax on import. Overall much cheaper option and it works just great over in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the feedback.

The following users liked this post:
MDMUS (09-12-2021)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by clumanjenn
Hello All,
I wanted to give an update. I paid €1350 to ship the car over with household goods.
Dang!!! $1900USD. That's what it costs to ship a car from Seattle/Tacoma, WA to Anchorage, AK by ship. Yours went across the pond for that - 1/3 farther.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Hello All,
I wanted to give an update. I paid €1350 to ship the car over with household goods. It required zero modifications! The switch to show km on the dash is easy, the whole speedometer is still in mph. That wasn't a problem, as long as kph is visible somewhere. Since it came over with household goods, there is no tax on import. Overall much cheaper option and it works just great over in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the feedback.
Good to hear it is working out!!
Sounds like the move was pretty cheap..guess with so many empty containers that need to LEAVE the US you got a DEAL!!
Guess with a deal like that, sounds like it will work out great for you!!
Enjoy the move and the new culture!!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Salvese D.O.C.
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback.
That is amazing, I wish could have done that for my european Paceman, but unfortunately my transfer is from Italy to USA, and looks like is completely different story.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestion or managed to bring an European MINI in USA, please let me know as I still keeping the car in the garage after 3 years.

Very very happy for you, that everything went all well.