European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Installed Euro-spec '05-'06 Xenons on my US '04 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Installed Euro-spec '05-'06 Xenons on my US '04 MCS

Hey everyone. Well my gf was nice enough to pick up a set of the '05-'06 facelift Xenon headlights while she was back home in Switzerland. She got me the Euro-spec (LHD) version of these lights, which has a different part number than the US versions. Unfortunately the dealer did not know what the difference was.

I don't have pics (yet), but I will say that this was a plug-n-play modification on my '04 MCS which originally had Xenons from the factory. Everything works, right down to the auto headlight leveling.

The difference in lighting is HUGE, especially on low beam. The headlight beam is much more focused than my '02-'04 US Xenons ever were. I don't have an '05-'06 US model to compare with, but the beam cut-off pattern is a lot more sharp and distinct than my old headlights.

Additionally, there's a little lever next to the headlight bulb. Again, I'm not sure if US '05-'06 models have these. The levers seem to adjust the cut-off pattern. In the default position, the cut-off seems to sweep upward towards the right. When the levers are flipped to the other position, the cut-off is symmetrical and flat. I'm assuming you would flip the levers if you drove in a country where you would drive on the left, so that you wouldn't blind oncoming traffic.

Part numbers for the headlights, for those of you who are interested:
63 12 7 198 735: Left Xenon headlight
63 12 7 198 736: Right Xenon headlight
63 12 6 922 155: Left chrome cap for headlight washer
63 12 6 922 156: Right chrome cap for headlight washer

This was NOT a cheap mod. The total for these parts came out to $1,133.64. Fortunately, I had a check from my insurance company to replace my existing headlights and repaint my bumper, bonnet, and replace windshield (wind damage from April), so that helped pay for the headlights. Strangely enough, this still came out cheaper than what I was quoted from my nearest US MINI dealership for the US-spec '05-'06 lights.

I'll try to take pics tomorrow and post them. I love the new look!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:46 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
On to some pics:

Before w/ the '04 Xenons:

After w/ the "facelift" Xenons:

Closeup of the headlight:

These headlights look kind of neat when they're on:

And this is the sort of beam pattern you'll see on a wall. I have the Euro-spec headlights. Does anyone have a similar picture with the US-spec headlights so we can compare? Amazingly enough, the headlight aim was close out of the box! I still have yet to finalize the headlight aim.

And a random shot for good measure:

Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
MarcoEsc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the look of those!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Those are looking really good, your beam appears to be a bit neater than mine, I really need to find truly flat surface to shine them on. In an up-close inspection, do you see a small line running through the actual lens of the projector? or is your lense completely smooth?

Close to the garage:

25ft from the garage:

View from driver's seat:

Hope this helps!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Those lights look sweet!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
Those are looking really good, your beam appears to be a bit neater than mine, I really need to find truly flat surface to shine them on. In an up-close inspection, do you see a small line running through the actual lens of the projector? or is your lense completely smooth?
I'm not 100% what you mean. If you look at the projector on my headlight, it is perfectly smooth. There are some fine horizontal lines in the lens that covers the entire headlight assembly, as seen in this pic:

I'm not quite sure what those lines are for, if they even have any purpose. Thanks for posting your pics! I'll have to go out and get a "road view" picture like what you have. I'm not quite so sure what you mean about the "neater" appearance of my beams though - they look very similar to me?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
where you have the lights shining on the garage, you have less light bleeding upward, while mine seem to have more light shining up past the cutoff.

The line that I was talking about is actually on my projector lens, so the one behind the outer lens of the headlight. It is something extremely difficult to capture with a camera, but if you get your face up really close to your headlight, and inspect your inner lens, there may or may not be a very fine line or seam on it.

I'm just trying to figure out if the European spec inner projector lenses have this seam/line in them.

-Chase

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Hey Chase -

I just looked very closely at my projector lenses, and there are no lines/seams on the projector "domes". The only lines are on the outer cover of the headlight assembly, as shown in my pic above.

I wonder if there is any significance of this line on the projector lens?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:13 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Here's what my Euro-spec lights look like on low-beam (sorry for the blurry pic...ugh):

I should have taken a pic with the cutoff adjuster moved to the symmetrical position (position you'd use if you drove in an area where you drive on the left side of the road). I'll try to remember to take a pic of this at some point.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
More pics

As promised - some pics to illustrate the beam pattern in the symmetrical position.

Here's the little lever inside headlight housing to change the beam pattern. Right headlight shown, left side is similar:

Road view (asymmetrical):

Road view (symmetrical):

Garage door view, asymmetrical (MINI about 15 feet away from the door). My bonnet wasn't shut all the way, which is why the left headlight looks to be aimed higher than the right:

Garage door view, symmetrical (MINI about 15 feet away from the door):

Keep in mind you would only use the symmetrical beam pattern when driving in areas where people drive on the left side of the road, like in the UK. I had mine set to the symmetrical pattern long enough to take pics, and I noticed a huge reduction in low-beam visibility (for driving on the right, anyway). Strangely enough, despite the pattern looking more or less symmetrical on my garage door, it actually has an upward bend towards the left - perfect for driving on the left side of the road.

Last edited by AKIndiMini; 10-05-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
xschan
Neutral
hi, do you have problems fitting the washer assambly into the newer xenon headlights? i found a pair of headlights in a very good price ($500usd both), but i own a 2004 MCS i am wondering that, and also the connection is the same?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
The "facelift" 05-06 Xenons are plug-and-play on the 02-04 MINIs (if originally equipped with Xenons).

I had no problems whatsoever getting the newer headlights installed on my MINI. It was a quick and easy swap.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
What if you have a 03 MCS with halogens, are the facelift xenon headlights still plug n play