R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Xenon headlight fogging

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Rai1gun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Xenon headlight fogging

Out of nowhere, I'm starting to see some sort of clouding INSIDE the headlight assembly of my Xenons. Its directly in the front of the lens, where the light from the bulbs passes through.

What the heck is this? Condensation of some sort? Or just damage from the lamps themselves after 2 years of constant use?

What is strange is that it was very slight a couple of weeks ago, and now seems to be getting more pronounced. Doesn't look like something that can be fixed either, short of replacing the headlights.

Anyone experience same?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Kid_Organic
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a common occurrence in all new cars as they use clear plastic shells instead of glass. Like rust, I bet it can be resolved with Coca-Cola.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Can you take a picture and post it for us? I'd determine if it's clouding on the exterior of the lens or condensation on the interior. Typically, when people open up their headlights or over time the way they're sealed weakens, causing condensation to accumulate inside the lens. I've cleared and blacked out pieces inside my headlight and in order to do this I removed the headlight unit and threw it in the oven to "bake" it so that sealing material softened. This allowed me to pop the lens off from the unit. Once I was done, I resealed the unit, making sure to use a healthy amount of sealant so there were no leaks because if I didn't, it would allow condensation to accumulate inside.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Kid_Organic
Neutral
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Can you take a picture and post it for us? I'd determine if it's clouding on the exterior of the lens or condensation on the interior. Typically, when people open up their headlights or over time the way they're sealed weakens, causing condensation to accumulate inside the lens. I've cleared and blacked out pieces inside my headlight and in order to do this I removed the headlight unit and threw it in the oven to "bake" it so that sealing material softened. This allowed me to pop the lens off from the unit. Once I was done, I resealed the unit, making sure to use a healthy amount of sealant so there were no leaks because if I didn't, it would allow condensation to accumulate inside.
Sounds like a Youtube video is in order!

Old 10-29-2015, 05:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
What might of happened is the vent on the back of the headlight might be clogged or not open all the way, the headlight is sealed on the front and there is a vent on the back , after years of use you can get a film from moisture in the engine bay steaming off and then collecting in the headlight itself.

Should be a little vent tube on the back of the housing and make sure its not plugged or a spyder built a nest in the tube and the moisture from the lens at certain temps cannot vent. Also have you have the engine bay cleaned or pressure washed ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-29-2015, 08:19 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kid_Organic
Sounds like a Youtube video is in order!
Yes, maybe! I do need to put new lenses on eventually so I'll be doing it again sometime in the near future.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 PM
triple955
1st Gear
ECS tuning - where is the vent tube located in that picture?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
In thats little oval-ish opening near the inside top adjustment mount, on the back right hand side, should be a little elbow rubber tube. There are little elbow rubber hoses that vent the moisture and sometime bugs like to build nest in there and clog them. I have seen it on mine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172