MINIs in the Alps (MITA) 2007 31 Aug thru 3 Sep

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 AM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIs in the Alps (MITA) 2007 31 Aug thru 3 Sep

We started kicking the idea around in https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103204
about doing a little European dragon slaying and came up with this…

Mini’s In The Alps 2007 (MITA) 31 August thru 3 September
Four Countries in Four Days... Touring through the Alps, Mini style
Google Earth File: http://www.artlaflamme.com/blog/KMZ/...EP%202007).kmz
Badge… in the works
Still need a moto!

Post here if you plan on attending.

Guest List so far:
Daflake
Abuzavi
OrneryDSMini
Mini Blue Mood
Matty125
Loesches
Bart5467

Attached Thumbnails MINIs in the Alps (MITA) 2007 31 Aug thru 3 Sep-538375887_28f9be3ce5.jpg  

Last edited by OrneryDSMini; 06-14-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Guest List Update
Old 06-11-2007, 05:09 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In like Flynn.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone seen the costs for lodging yet? Davos ain't real cheap and booking is tight.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
cabrown
2nd Gear
Just a thought:

Have you taken into consideration that August and sometimes into early September is massive European vacation time?

I know here in Italy, you have to watch your back for closures from mid-July to mid-September, with August being the predominate month.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Hmmm

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Abu's postings have left me with a "OOO Shiny" thing going on.
I guess there are some logistical issues that need some working out, but I don't think its anything major.
In any case, we do have some time to work on them.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
distefaniak
Neutral
sounds like fun can I go

Hello,
We would be interested in join you on the mini in the alps. We are in Germany, about an hour and half north of Munich. Just finished the break-in period, so we are ready to have fun. My husband was dying only able to go a 100 mph on the autobahn.
I have a cooper S lazer blue with black top, no name yet waiting for the graphics to see what he wants to be called.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Originally Posted by distefaniak
Hello,
We would be interested in join you on the mini in the alps. We are in Germany, about an hour and half north of Munich. Just finished the break-in period, so we are ready to have fun. My husband was dying only able to go a 100 mph on the autobahn.
I have a cooper S lazer blue with black top, no name yet waiting for the graphics to see what he wants to be called.
Woot! Nothing better for breaking in a new car than a road trip, I say.

I've got a few things working behind the scenes right now -- I have sent a spy down there for the week, check on routes, locations, etc, and I'm meeting later this week or next with a Swiss buddy to go over routes and hotel options (I hope no one in married to Davos).

Semper Gumby!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by distefaniak
Hello,
Absolutly!

I am actually located in Weiden. Probably about an hour and a half away from you.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
BluesRider
1st Gear
Would love to join the convoy (if work priorities allow). I'm a proud new 2nd gen owner and "Higgins" will hopefully be past the break-in period by then.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
matty125
5th Gear
For those who dont know me Im new to H town moved from Wurzburg. I would like to throw my hat in. If my wife is working Ill go, if not we'll be in Spain. Just finished my break in. The R56 is a lot faster than most cars around, dumb question....is anyone elses abnormally fast and stock? like 150mph?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
daflake
6th Gear
I'm abnormal....

Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
For those who dont know me Im new to H town moved from Wurzburg. I would like to throw my hat in. If my wife is working Ill go, if not we'll be in Spain. Just finished my break in. The R56 is a lot faster than most cars around, dumb question....is anyone elses abnormally fast and stock? like 150mph?
Dunno yet... don't get mine for 29 more days!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 PM
OrneryDSMini
2nd Gear
Double post

See what you started Daflake?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
BluesRider
1st Gear
My R56 is definitely QUICK especially if you push that little extra boost button. Haven't pushed the envelope yet though because still in the break-in period. But, YES!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
The R56 has a pretty decent engine in it so I don't doubt that it is "fast". I don't know at what point the ECU is locked but typically you can push it past that albiet very slowly....

Tune the ECU and kill the cutoff and 150 will come easy.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Tune the ECU and kill the cutoff and 150 will come easy.
.. just not on a windy road through the Swiss Alps, please.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 AM
BluesRider
1st Gear
Another point of logistics which may have already been covered: International DL is required if driving outside of Germany (USAREUR DL no longer valid outside of GE).

Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Blue_Mood
Another point of logistics which may have already been covered: International DL is required if driving outside of Germany (USAREUR DL no longer valid outside of GE).
Another very good point.... Guys this is easy to get, you just go the local German authority (can't remember the name). You should be able to find this out at your local ADAC.

You will need three passport photos and proper ID with your valid license and I think about 14 euro. There is no test. It is nothing more than a translation of your current license.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 PM
bart5467
4th Gear
I am so gonna try 2 go 2 this but i am gonna have 2 wait and see what the schedule looks like when i get bak 2 europe nxt week

Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
BluesRider
1st Gear
Right you are (as usual), daflake--ADAC can absolutely point you in the right direction! I dug out my in-processing docs and for those of you in the HD area, you can get your International DL at Bergheimerstrasse 69, PH: 06221-5813430; Mon/Tues/Thurs 0730-1400, Wed 1300-1700, Fri 0730-1130 (special hours on blue moons ).

Must provide: USAREUR POV DL, ID & Passport, 1 passport pic (Euro format-no uniform), Fee appx. 17 Euro (cash only).

Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 AM
loesches
I miss the autobahn!
Count me in!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Folks:

On billeting / hotels. I have started to work on this, but would welcome help. Please PM me if you'd like to help out on this. It's mainly an issue of contacting places, getting quotes, and then working up to a decision point on cost & location.

On hotels and accomodations:
  • I am looking outside of Davos
  • I am looking for places that won't break the bank
  • I am looking for places of all kinds -- single rooms, double rooms, group places.
  • I am looking at smaller, out of the way places that are, to a "T", up in the Alps and not in the plains below.
Also -- I need to know the head count. I'll very likely be solo for the weekend. Please let me know -- here preferably -- if others will be with you. It'll drive how we do hotel rooms as much as it will drive where we have lunch.

Currently, I'm tracking:
Daflake +1
Abuzavi +0
OrneryDSMini
Mini Blue Mood
Matty125 +0
Loesches +1
Bart5467
distefaniak +1
SMSgt Bo +1
Baron411 + 1
Henry (whatever his screen name is)
MiniDeuce +1
* Team MC2 - Rob
* Team MC2 - Neil
* BlimeyCabrio

Total planned for as of today: 18 & 3 maybe's

I think we need to get someone working on what to do -- not just nailing down the driving route, but also where to stop for meals, where to stop for photos, where to stop for ice cream, etc. Yes, route is part of that, but there's a lot of other stuff to read up on (i.e. top 20 passes in Switzerland, common photo spots on Flickr). Some of this stuff -- like meals -- will need decision: do we picnic, or do we make reservations ahead of time at a restuarant?

And is there any interest in ssssschwag? Any one want to take a stab at a shirt, or a hat, or a grill badge or something? Does anyone know a cowbell manufacturer?

Last edited by abuzavi; 06-25-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:10 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Fella's, you're gonna' want moar cowbell!

I'm gonna' try to join you'se guys for the Alpo run as long I get a kitchen pass and I'm not TDY.

Last edited by SMSgt Bo; 06-14-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I kain't spel!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
abu, sorry but I'm out for this one. Won't be back from the States until 4 September. Trully it was a hard decision between MITA and Estados Unidos de las Americas!!

Cheers!!

Originally Posted by abuzavi
Folks:

On billeting / hotels. I have started to work on this, but would welcome help. Please PM me if you'd like to help out on this. It's mainly an issue of contacting places, getting quotes, and then working up to a decision point on cost & location.

On hotels and accomodations:
  • I am looking outside of Davos
  • I am looking for places that won't break the bank
  • I am looking for places of all kinds -- single rooms, double rooms, group places.
  • I am looking at smaller, out of the way places that are, to a "T", up in the Alps and not in the plains below.
Also -- I need to know the head count. I'll very likely be solo for the weekend. Please let me know -- here preferably -- if others will be with you. It'll drive how we do hotel rooms as much as it will drive where we have lunch.

Currently, I'm tracking:
Daflake +1
Abuzavi +0
OrneryDSMini
Mini Blue Mood
Matty125 +0
Loesches
Bart5467
distefaniak +1
Poppa Bear
Henry (whatever his screen name is)

Total planned for as of today: 12

I thinkwe need to get someone working on what to do -- not just nailing down the driving route, but also where to stop for meals, where to stop for photos, where to stop for ice cream, etc. Yes, route is part of that, but there's a lot of other stuff to read up on (i.e. top 20 passes in Switzerland, common photo spots on Flickr). Some of this stuff -- like meals -- will need decision: do we picnic, or do we make reservations ahead of time at a restuarant?

And is there any interest in ssssschwag? Any one want to take a stab at a shirt, or a hat, or a grill badge or something? Does anyone know a cowbell manufacturer?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
abu, sorry but I'm out for this one. Won't be back from the States until 4 September. Trully it was a hard decision between MITA and Estados Unidos de las Americas!! Cheers!!
Well, now there's less cowbell....

Quick Reply: MINIs in the Alps (MITA) 2007 31 Aug thru 3 Sep