Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical PIAA 540 Driving Lights/Daytime Driving Lam

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:08 PM
rhasenohrl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA 540 Driving Lights/Daytime Driving Lam

I have a 2006 MC and have added the PIAA 540 driving light kit. The white lead to power on the lights is attached to the Yellow/Green (left high beam?) wire on the Xenon headlights. The PIAA lights are controlled by the switch included in the kit (power on/off) and when on the PIAA lights come on whenever the high beams are activated. In other words everthing works great.

I recently had my dealer program my Mini to activate the optional Daytime Driving Lamps to be on whenever the Mini is running. The only lights that are on appear to be high beams at lower power (the Xenon lights are not on). My problem is now the PIAA relay which is connected to the Yellow/Green wire is buzzing constantly and only stops when the highbeams lights are on or the PIAA power switch is off.

Is there another place to get power (white PIAA wire) for the PIAA lights that will not interfere with the Mini optional Daytime Driving Lamps and only be available when the highbeams are activated and eliminate the buzzing from the relay?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There must be. You can have the OEM driving lights and DRLs at the same time. I'm sure many do.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
2nd Gear
You could always just wire your PIAAs directly to the battery, bypass the whole high-beams-must-be-on part and operate them solely through the switch, that's how I have it. Just run the white wire straight to the battery (or terminal in the case of an S) and they can be switched on independant of the high beams. That should solve your dilemma.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
rhasenohrl
1st Gear
Wiring the PIAA lights directly to the battery is not an option for me because I have the PIAA lights on all the time (the PIAA on/off switch) and activate them (the PIAA lights) with the highbeams. Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking for a highbeam activated wire that is independent of the yellow/green wire (under the bonnet) I am using.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I don't have an answer but I'm very interested in the answer you find. I'm planning to install some driving lights I'd like to activate with the high beams. I also use the daytime running lights and think they are an important safety item.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same setup but I have not noticed a buzzing (but then again I'm half deaf anyway ). Out of curiosity - is the buzzing there all the time or does it depend on whether the PIAA switch is left on (red LED) or off (green LED).

Also, on mine, I have the headlights on the automatic setting. I have noticed that when the headlights are on the off setting and the PIAA switch is left on (red LED) the LED is lit but dim; however when on the automatic setting the LED is not lit at all unless the lights have automatically turned on.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the factory driving lights plug into a computer that deals with this issue, rather than just tapping the high beam wire. I am not 100% sure, but I do not think there is a way around this.

I had my DRLs turned off before I installed my Hellas. I just turn the parking light on all the time now.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 PM
mangotangoe
2nd Gear
I just installed some Hella light tonight on my '06 . Ran into the same problem. I had to use two relays in order to get them functioning properly and without any buzzing. Send me a pm if you want my .2cent howto...

Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 PM
mangotangoe
2nd Gear
Here is how I wired my driving lights, so that they only come on when my high beams are turned on. I have an MCS '06 Zenon, with daylight running lights.
Tapped into the wire harnesss behind the drivers side lights. Two 12v sources avail. green/yellow (halogen bulb) and green/white (zenon).
First off, I tried to use both of these are my triggers for the individual relays, however, I ran into a few problems. Daylight running lights are the halogen bulb at only 2.5v, not enough for my relay . The green/white only make my relay turn on/off quickly (buzzing)..?
So here is how I have it hooked up now. Working perfectly. Was going to install a switch in the cabin, but have decided that I don't really need one.

Used the 12v from my front bumber light as my trigger for relay #1 . 12v available only when lights are turned on.
Used green/yellow as trigger for relay #2, as 12v are available when highs are on.

I know this may not be too clear... send me a pm if you need clarification.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
mangotangoe
2nd Gear
Decided to change my setup to a slightly more elegant solution. Instead of using a second relay (and have it active, while my lights are on), I have installed 5 diodes in parallel (1n4007) inline with the green/yellow wire. This then connects to terminal #86. Relay connections are #85-ground, #86-g/y wire with diodes, #30-battery, #87- to lights. The diodes I used are a common part avail. for approx. 25cents/per.
The diodes reduce voltage, thus prevents the relay from buzzing while daytime running lights are active. You could also wire in a switch from ground to terminal #85, if you wanted.
This setup is working perfectly... Driving lights only while high beams are on. Further, they turn on when you "flash to pass".
Hope this helps someone...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
mangotangoe
2nd Gear