Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Experience W/Valentine 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience W/Valentine 1

Sorry this is so long......

Many of you have read my posts touting the superiority of the Valentine 1 radar detector. I was so impressed with the unit that I bought one for my wife the day after she accepted delivery of her 06 JCW. Now I need to post my most recent experience with the company.

Let me start out by explaining that I can be a difficult customer. I work very hard for my money and expect a level of service commensurate with that. Well Valentine recently exceeded my expectations, something that unfortunately rarely happens.

On MTTS I found that my 18 month old V1 was not performing nearly as well as my wife’s. As she drove 4 cars back her detector would alert while mine remained silent. I called the company and spoke with a woman in tech support. As I expected I was told to send the detector back for evaluation. When we got home I went to the website and found the address and noticed that they required payment of $45 to accompany any unit returned out of warranty. I called tech support again and asked for a manager. I have to admit I was a little miffed. The manager was very nice and told me to send the unit back and if payment was required we could worry about it then. I shipped the unit back with a note explaining the issues and my concern that a unit that costs as much as the V1 started having problems within 18 months.

I shipped the unit to Valentine on a Wednesday and received it back the next Friday (one week later). I was surprised because I had not received a phone call, email or letter. When I opened the box there was no note but it looked like a brand new unit was shipped back. No scratches or wear marks. I was surprised so I called the company. I was informed that I did not receive a new unit but my old one that had been cleaned up and fixed. The unit had some “modules” replaced and was recalibrated and I owed nothing. Now that was something unexpected.

I have always been pleased by the performance of the V1 and now I have been impressed by the service. I have had issues with other electronics that were “just” out of warranty and the experience was usually poor and cost me money. This one was the opposite. Kudos to Valentine!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Great to hear

Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
mini552
4th Gear
V1

Good to hear and timely for me - I've had my V1 for about 2.5 years, and the other day it completely failed to go off approaching one of those "drone" "your speed is . . . " units. It usually goes completely apes&$t waaaay before and after going by one of those things. Then I noticed it wasn't going off at all - even on xband - as I travelled by a shopping center. A little later it seemed to "wake up" but I don't trust it now and I'm going to send it in for service and updating. Even at $45 it beats wondering if the unit's working

Old 12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
paulieparker
1st Gear
thats great to hear!! im a big fan of providing the ultimate in custoemr service =)

how do you have the v1s hooked up? im looking into picking one up but cant find any setup i like... cheers.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:32 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by paulieparker
thats great to hear!! im a big fan of providing the ultimate in custoemr service =)

how do you have the v1s hooked up? im looking into picking one up but cant find any setup i like... cheers.
Hardwiring it is the best.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
paulieparker
1st Gear
ah awesome... thanks so much. do you have the remote display or do you just use it this way? i looked at putting one up there but for some reason i feel like i wouldnt be able to see it with such a drastic amount of space between the mirror and windshield...

thanks again

Old 12-26-2006, 12:41 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
No, I do not have the remote display, although I eventually plan on installing one in my dash. However, I have no trouble whatsoever seeing the display in the detectors current position

Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 PM
paulieparker
1st Gear
thank you much =)

Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I will have to call them. Mine has an unusual tendency for the laser alarm to go off when the horn is honked or the windshield washers are activated. Mine is now 6 or so years old, so maybe it is time for a tune up.

It has never failed me and the only two tickets I have had in the past 6 years were on the two days that I was driving a different car and did not have it with me.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
We have one for both of our mini's. Both are high mounted like the picture above. I ran the power along the headliner and then down the A post. I had anticipated installing the remote module in the future as I have one, just haven't figured out the best mounting place. The high mount hasn't created any viewing problems for me or my wife.

My only complaint is that at night I sometime have difficulty distinguishing between the bands. Of course the noises are different, but I like to be able to actually see the band. I wish they installed the LED behind the character instead of two the side of it.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
We have one for both of our mini's. Both are high mounted like the picture above. I ran the power along the headliner and then down the A post. I had anticipated installing the remote module in the future as I have one, just haven't figured out the best mounting place. The high mount hasn't created any viewing problems for me or my wife.

My only complaint is that at night I sometime have difficulty distinguishing between the bands. Of course the noises are different, but I like to be able to actually see the band. I wish they installed the LED behind the character instead of two the side of it.
I agree, we ave ours mounted high and I have considered adding the remote... infact I bought two but they are sitting on my work bench... anyone need one?

Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Sorry to hijack...

A quick question about the V1 hardwire... It the wire you run from the power source to the detector unit itslef a phone cable? On one of my friends laser detector (unsire of what kind) uses a phone cable. He hardwired it using an old phone cable...

I'm in the market for a v1 and i'm trying to find the best way to hardwire it.

b.p.m.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:51 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
Sorry to hijack...

A quick question about the V1 hardwire... It the wire you run from the power source to the detector unit itslef a phone cable? On one of my friends laser detector (unsire of what kind) uses a phone cable. He hardwired it using an old phone cable...

I'm in the market for a v1 and i'm trying to find the best way to hardwire it.

b.p.m.

The V1 comes with a hardwire kit which includes the proper cable (which is, indeed, a phone jack cable).

Old 12-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
...I'm in the market for a v1 and i'm trying to find the best way to hardwire it.
The V1 come with an OEM unit that can be wired to a power source - it has two RJ45 (phone) jacks. One goes to the detector, the other to the (optional) remote display. In the MINI, I ran an 'add-a-circuit' from the fuse box to the OEM 'connector unit', then ran the wire up the side of the dash and along the headliner.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:08 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Sounds good. Unfortunatly, I don't drive a MINI, but a Jeep Cherokee. We'll see when i can get a V1 and how the hardwire goes.

Thanks for the help

b.p.m.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Sounds good. Unfortunatly, I don't drive a MINI, but a Jeep Cherokee. We'll see when i can get a V1 and how the hardwire goes.

Thanks for the help

b.p.m.
I used a "Add a Circuit" in the fuse box. It worked well in my MINIs and Camaro. Threading the cable is fairly easy in the MINIs and should be as well for the Jeep. I cut the head off the wire to thread it in my Camaro and then just put another one back on.... you can buy the tool and parts at Radioshack.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:09 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far so good with mine. I used the phone cord, routed to the left. I suggest going to the right.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
noodlesandsam
3rd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I hardwired it by going to the domelights. I've also hardwired these in a Yukon XL, and Volvo 700's. The best radar detector on the market.

RY

Old 12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
NeilM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
The V1 come with an OEM unit that can be wired to a power source - it has two RJ45 (phone) jacks.
A small correction that might be important for anyone making up their own cables: they are actually RJ-11 phone jacks.

RJ-45 jacks are similar in concept but larger, have up to 8 conductors and are most commonly used for ethernet.

Neil
05 MCS
96 M3

Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
silver99
2nd Gear
I called in the the same issue. Lady who answered the phone asked me to hold for someone in the tech dept. Guy picks up the phone. "Hi this is Mike."
Like Mike Valentine.... talked with him for a bit. nice guy.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:44 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I've closer than ever to ordering one soon. I wonder if the price will go up after the new year, or if a new version will be introduced soon. Anyone know of more specific v1 discussion boards on the net?

Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Supposibly a Valentine V2 is due for release which supposibly has an integrated laser jammer. However the person I heard this from is certainly not a reliable source so it is possible this is entirely untrue.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
ooooo. i want a v2. we need confirmation on that.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilM
A small correction that might be important for anyone making up their own cables: they are actually RJ-11 phone jacks...
Doh! I always screw that up - thanks for the correction! My cable making days are long gone.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Hardwiring it is the best.

yes, but on the other side of the mirror is even better so you don't cover it
up with your sunshade when driving into the sun.

Quick Reply: Electrical Experience W/Valentine 1