Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Experience W/Valentine 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:13 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious

The other night the laser bogey went crazy! After awhile I thought the blue headlights behind me were the culprit, so let the Infinity SUV go by. Sure enough the side indicator showed, then no alarms. When I got ahead of the Infinity, the laser alarm sounded.

Do some cars have following distance alarms that use lasers, not radar?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Could be the new 'auto cruise control' - make sense that they'd use radar/laser to sense the distance between cars in front.
Bugger, with the fancy new cars, that could get annoying...

Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can set cruise with or without the distance sensor mode... so
should be ok (?).

Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
The other night the laser bogey went crazy! After awhile I thought the blue headlights behind me were the culprit, so let the Infinity SUV go by. Sure enough the side indicator showed, then no alarms. When I got ahead of the Infinity, the laser alarm sounded.

Yep - I had exactly the same experience last week...

Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89AKurt

YES: Infinity SUVs in particular have a laser-based cruise control system.
Though I've never had the pleasure of experiencing them. I really wonder if my jammer would screw them up and make them jam on their brakes..

Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
... I really wonder if my jammer would screw them up and make them jam on their brakes..
LOL LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by S Curvz
I hear thats why we still have to run front plates. It was actually voted on, then someone vetoed it...and we still have them.

I dont run a front plate, and my windows are tinted. The few times I have been pulled over for speeding, I have been cited for window tint, which doesnt have any points, but the ticket is more expensive.
this reminds me of my friends dad who has a two very fast cars. he buddied up with an old friend of his who owns a chevy dealership and got dealer plates on both rides. no front plates, police leniancy(?) due to test drives?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
this reminds me of my friends dad who has a two very fast cars. he buddied up with an old friend of his who owns a chevy dealership and got dealer plates on both rides. no front plates, police leniancy(?) due to test drives?
I know people who have used dealer plates on imported cars (RHD), it was the only way to get them legal.

I am not sure that would work in ohio. A local dealership recently got into trouble for not using front plates on there loaners. Just glad I wasnt driving.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Hummm thats weird. I work at the BMW dealership in my town and we had plates on every loaner (biggest PITA filling the holes when someone buys a loaner and doesn't wants plates.)

Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
Hummm thats weird. I work at the BMW dealership in my town and we had plates on every loaner (biggest PITA filling the holes when someone buys a loaner and doesn't wants plates.)
I would have thought you'd use one of the "no-holes" license plate brackets that goes in the front tow-hook mounting hole. That way, there's no holes to fill when you sell the loaner.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 AM
blalor
6th Gear
YES: Infinity SUVs in particular have a laser-based cruise control system.
Though I've never had the pleasure of experiencing them. I really wonder if my jammer would screw them up and make them jam on their brakes..
*Great* idea. Are jammers typically installed facing rearward, too?

I do think the laser detector's a little overly sensitive; occasionally it seems to me that bright sunlight and a dirty window will set it off.

I've also been driven nearly insane by some Cadillacs (it seems); the V1 sings like a bird occasionally and it seems like luxo Caddies are often the culprit.

Me and my partner go patrol car crusin'
on the parking lots at the shopping malls
Scanning those dashes, those mirrors and visors,
the little detectors that ruin it all
Johnny got one on an '86 T-bird,
Pull up slow just as close as I can
Milli-watt seconds on maximum output,
We'll dust that puppy with one small blast from my

Radar Gun, Radar Gun
I'm makin' money and I'm havin' fun with my
Radar Gun, Radar Gun
With my brand new Radar Gun

I hereby designate the Bottle Rockets' "Radar Gun" as this thread's official soundtrack.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Depends on the brand, some include rear transceivers.
It doesn't false much as it is looking specifically for a certain IR pattern; radar detectors with laser detection false much more because they probably ignore most of the signal details so they have a better chance of catching scatter.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blalor
...I hereby designate the Bottle Rockets' "Radar Gun" as this thread's official soundtrack.
Radar Love by Tin Lizzy won't work?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM
blalor
6th Gear
Nope. It's not about radar guns! :D

Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
For example:

The other night I was going down a residential arterial street that comes to a major street, that has a traffic light with a 3.8 second green light. The dectector was going off, and sure enough a cop was hiding. It wouldn't have taken much for a local to hurry up to make the stupid light.
I am liking the directional arrows.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
My V1 has paid for itself over & over & over....

The "Lidar" technology being used now is most definitely picked up by my V1.
http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/sparcl..._tutorial.html
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/FAQonLidar.html
Unfortunately, if I am the first target, I'm getting a ticket - but this is true of any pop radar. But when that Lidar is on an overpass and it's being used frequently, my V1 lets me know. It will come on like a security bleep, but not regular like an actual security bleep.

And no problem mounting the unit it in my Cabrio (driver's side near the rearview mirror), except if it's over 110 degrees out (which means it's much hotter in the car), it may end up on the dash by the time I get back to the car. I try to remember to bring it in to work with me when I know it's gonna be a scorcher.

Of course I never go above the posted speed limit , but I would be lost without my V1.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 PM
blalor
6th Gear
The bogey counter and the arrows are the distinguishing features of the V1. They've got a patent on 'em, so nobody else can copy that, for now. I've read some reports (and I'm sure Josh had references at the ready!) that indicate some of the newer models from other brands are slightly more sensitive or have more features (or look newer), but those two things on the V1 are what keep it on top.

I got clocked by a laser-using cop in Mass yesterday; fortunately I wasn't going that fast, because I certainly wasn't on the defensive: I saw some cars slow, so I instinctively did the same, but when I saw the cop on the right shoulder with his door open, it didn't occur to me what he was doing until the laser detector went off. :D

Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
What really keeps the V1 on top is Mike Valentine making it his personal hobby. He's a radar and radar geek and regularly makes updates and tweaks to the V1. That being its other unique feature, you can send yours in at any time to be upgraded to current for a reasonable price.

Even after hanging out in radar forums, I have yet to see any non-cooked tests that show other brands being as sensitive as the V1.
The other brands now have a non-default way of showing multiple bogeys, currently up to 4, and you need to see the tiny bars that show it. Of course my v1's counter can often show 7 or 8.

One thing I've noticed repeatedly in the last few days is the "Infinity SUV Sensor" feature. The v1 has been alerting me to their cruise control. My laser jammer is never set off by them. I'm guessing the jammer is looking more closely to the signal's signature.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
...The other brands now have a non-default way of showing multiple bogeys, currently up to 4, and you need to see the tiny bars that show it. Of course my v1's counter can often show 7 or 8.
I've seen 9! At the shopping center.
Any idea if a cop can "hide" amongst these false alarms, and still nab you? Would the other sources mess up the radar gun reading?

Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
It depends on a number of things. Each unit may have its own small frequency range in the band. They may also have different ways of encoding the signal. Thats how they can differentiate from one another, and that's also how the V1 can count multiple within one band. If the gun was not smartly made to also pick itself out, it might have trouble, but I bet they are made well enough.

Hiding among the alarms is the classic case for the V1; a cop may sit in a shopping area knowing most people are ignoring their detectors there. You notice one more bogey than usual on the V1 and slow down.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
AZLarryB
2nd Gear
Exactly!... I can tell you where & how many bogeys are expected on all of my usual routes. The route to my wife's work suddenly started setting off my V1, no bogey before. Of course I dropped the anchor & started trying to figure out where the souirce was. After a few days I figured it was coming from the door openers on a new commercial building they're finishng up.... 1 bogey, same spot every time I drive by there now.... Except, one day, 2 bogeys..... new source was a motorcycle cop in a parking lot shooting.... V1, counters and arrows!

Larry

Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
HELP!!!!

Ok guys so I just bought my V1 used it is the brand new one though with POP2 and it has only been used for about 6 months. All I recieved with the unit itself is the cig lighter adapter and the phone cord. I want to hardwire it into my map lights or anywhere but cannot find a description with pictures on how to do it in a mini. Also can you hardwire it without the adapter that V1 provides since I dont have that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
You need the direct wire power kit - scroll down, it's item 30 - only $19 from Valentine.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Has anyone hardwired their V1 into their map light? I knwo this is possible but was curious if anyone has done it.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I had wired in up there on previous cars with other detectors - but the V1 flat cable was so easy to route around the edge of the windshield and dash, it was really easier to splice this one in under the dash. Literally I spent 5 minutes routing the cable the first time. Now I could do it in 2. And the V1 power tap under the dash makes it easy for me to plug in the remote display later.

Quick Reply: Electrical Experience W/Valentine 1