Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh.

The only time I've mentioned President Ford on this board was a year ago in post #63, and I just wanted to note his passing + point out the bill he signed to repeal Standard #208 two months into his Presidency also made it illegal for any future motor vehicle safety standard to require "a continuous buzzer designed to indicate that safety belts are not in use." 15 U.S.C. 1410b(b)(1); see Pet. App. 8a; 120 Cong. Rec. 27815-27823, 35036 (1974).

Old 12-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just did this one this morning! Must say I love it! Thanks for posting!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
any further info on what wire to snip with out taking the thing apart? or where the chime is?

safe or unsafe i second the kudo's on the well written how to by the other fellow.

bob

Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
wiimotor
1st Gear
why not just buy a buckle and leave it inserted all the time? any seat belt buckle should work, get a cheap dog seatbelt cut the buckle out and use that.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
that's a good idea....anyone have a source?
bob

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Rubino
2nd Gear
Thanks for the post liaudio,

I always use my seatbelt as well, but am forever annoyed by the damn dinging in the driveway, the mailbox, and more recently when the 14# dog decides to ride in the passenger seat without buckling up. (no dexterity, she's not a chimp)

Ding...ding...ding...

Wonder if this works on the 07 R56?
And puleezze, no flames about my unbuckled dog on our 2 mi ride to the park!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
i just buckled mine up around the backside of the seat
bob

Old 08-16-2007, 07:13 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
yeah i just use my seatbelt or buckle it up and sit over it . and my dog has a dog seat belt too lol but yeah good write up but i dont wanna mess with a device that could mean life and death if i got in a sticky situation

Old 08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
im so glad i dont have a seat belt in my 1940 ford, or airbags, or a clutch safety switch, or abs, or disc brakes. It does however have loads of horsepower (its a race motor), a steel dash, and a steel steering wheel. Ah, the fun. I am also in the group that says live and let die. For the record, i always wear my seat belt in my mini, mostly because i need something to hold me in the seat because of the way i drive.

Beecher

Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beecher
im so glad i dont have a seat belt in my 1940 ford, or airbags, or a clutch safety switch, or abs, or disc brakes. It does however have loads of horsepower (its a race motor), a steel dash, and a steel steering wheel. Ah, the fun. I am also in the group that says live and let die. For the record, i always wear my seat belt in my mini, mostly because i need something to hold me in the seat because of the way i drive.

Beecher
Lots of stuff has changed in our world since I was a kid (early 50's) There's an e-mail thing going around listing some of the things, like "accidents just happen sometimes, it doesn't mean someone is responsible". I agree with your take on this kind of thing, being protected against the most ignorant amongst us!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
I hope that my how-to has help everyone out! My lease went back so I reversed the process before they picked it up. It was a little harder to reverse since the plastic was glued together but it looks completely stock!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In hopes that I don't get flamed, I will state that: YES, I do wear my seatbelt when I drive my car on public roads, and I also wear a helmet (always) when I ride my motorcycle.

I also find the chime annoying, especially in situations where I have to shuffle the family's cars in/out of the garage and on my property. I can also see the point of disabing the chime for those who use 6-point harnesses. Like grassroots garage mentioned, there are valid reasons for disabling the chime. I personally just don't like the 'reminder' telling me to wear a seatbelt since I DO anyway...well so long as I'm actually going to drive and not just move cars around on my property. For me, the presence of a seatbelt chime is kind of insulting - like the lawmakers who made this device a requirement assume I'm too stupid to wear my seatbelt when driving.

Fortunately, unlike some other cars I own (or have owned), my '04 MCS only dings a few times on initial startup, then keeps the seatbelt light on if you remain unbuckled. I personally don't want to modify the buckle to disable the switch, mostly because it seems more complicated than simply removing the chime (like I've done in my Jeep), and could potentially affect airbag and belt tensioner functionality.

However, I will say that the writeup in itself is a very informative one, better than many other DIY writeups I've seen on forums. Kudos liaudio!

FWIW, I rented a 2007 MCC in Switzerland last month. It had NO seatbelt chime (no key-in-ignition chime either - I find these VERY annoying from a servicing standpoint). It did have a seatbelt light that illuminated on start up, but it would disappear shortly after the other idiot lights, regardless of your seatbelt usage. I don't think Switzerland has laws mandating seatbelt lights/chimes and key-in-ignition chimes like the US does.

I am also curious if the GT1 gives you a choice for seatbelt reminders, as suggested by Grassroots Garage. The car I rented in Switzerland hints that the seatbelt and key-in-ignition chimes may be a simple programmable option. That would be nice to disable it, without affecting the safety devices that make our wonderful little cars as safe as they are.

Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
...The extra bucke trick is the way to go. This would also be good for someone who has a harness for driving schools, auto-x, etc and not using the factory belt at that time. I think there are some good reasons to limit the chime, even if going for morning coffee without a belt isn't one of them. ...Another thought, if the 06 is set differently, perhaps recoding the instrument cluster help. During manual coding ,the GT1 used to ask if it has a seatbelt warning...for the US you answer YES, perhaps answering NO would disable it.
Any MINI techs here, or friends with one might want to play with it.

--Dan
P.S. please don't confuse my post with advocating breaking the law
IMO seatbelts should be a common sense thing, not a law, anyway.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
I have an 06 with a buddy who refuses to wear his seat belt (pisses me off because if we're in an accident, it'll be his body breaking my neck). The passenger seat chime goes off after about 5 minutes (usually right when we get to our destination). Does the driver seat chime stay on?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Rubino
2nd Gear
I just want to disconnect the dinger!

The 11# Dog sets it off
The gallon of Milk on the seat sets it off
The briefcase or laptop sets it off.
The mail run and car shuffle sets it off.

I always wear a belt, but the dinger is annoying.

Dinger Location, and concequences of removing/clipping a wire?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
donjulio
4th Gear
I want to see some hot pictures of six packs plz.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM
donjulio
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Maybe you missed this ... https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines which states ... "Posts relating to ...violations of other laws are prohibited."
At least in our state ... there is a law against removing safety devices ...

I think maybe that was the real point.

I started cracking up after i read that.

lolol dude your such a loser why don't u go to the valentine post and flame at all the speeders

Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
wow. this post is still going!!! amazing.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Zaigrith
Neutral
I dont know about anyone else but when I'm going to and from class my backpack gets the passenger seat and depending on how many classes this sometimes sets off the alarm. SOO anoying that i may do this to the passenger seat.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Sometimes when I put a jembe on the front passenger seat, the car'll start to ding. Simple solution is to just buckle the seatbelt behind whatever is on the seat.

Zip

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
uRabbit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Yet another simple DIY "mod".

*agree*

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I had to laugh reading some of these posts. A member doesn't like the dinging sound and finds a way to remove it. Regardless if you think it's right, correct, incorrect, legal or otherwise, he didn't ask any opinions, he just said what he doesn't like and how he cured it.

But what happens? A bunch of safety ***** come out and start calling him an idiot and how unsafe it was, blah, blah, blah.

I'll bet the same people that complained that he should be wearing a seatbelt are the same people that drive the speed limit in the left lane regardless of how many people are piling up behind them just because they are the speed detector ***** on the highway... geez.

And just for the record, I wear my seatbelt and helmet when I ride... not because I believe it does or doesn't work, I wear it because the law says I have to. (thus when I ride in SC, I usually don't wear my helmet)

Point is, if you think wearing a seatbelt is a good idea, then wear it and if you don't think it's a beneficial idea, then don't....

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T FORCE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE REST OF US.

Mark

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
"And just for the record, I wear my seatbelt and helmet when I ride... not because I believe it does or doesn't work, I wear it because the law says I have to. (thus when I ride in SC, I usually don't wear my helmet)"

A friend of mine thinks like you do or at last I think he does. He lost his face a couple of days ago riding his bike without a hemet. I agree that you should be able to do anything you want but what is frustrating is that people can be so foolish - I would'nt wear a helmet or wear a seatbelt because the law says I have to - I value my life and my family - There is so much data available proving without a doubt that seatbelts save lives and reduce injury that it can't be ignored.

A State cop once told me that he has seen a lot of dead bodies in traffic accidents - but he had yet to unbuckle one!

Anyone that says that they "Always" or "Never" do something are probably lying.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
For me, it's become habit. I hated it at first and now it's just not worth the hassle of getting a ticket or listening to that damn chiming.

I agree that there is data that proves it's safer to wear a seatbelt than not wear one but where do you draw the line?

It's a PROVEN fact that smoking is bad for you and will probably end up killing you. You can put warnings all day long but I don't think there should be a law that says you can't smoke. I don't see the gov't telling saying no one can't smoke, I don't think they should be telling you have to wear seatbelts.

(BTW, I don't smoke)

My point was not whether or not the seatbelt is or isn't a good idea, I just hate when the safety ***** try to impose their thoughts/values on everyone else.

Mark

Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

My point was not whether or not the seatbelt is or isn't a good idea, I just hate when the safety ***** try to impose their thoughts/values on everyone else.

Mark
+1. Thank you.

Zip

Quick Reply: Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!