Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Electrical
Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!! >

Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!

Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!

  #26  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
chows4us's Avatar
chows4us
chows4us is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr8Force
Thanks! I still say wear the seatbelt for a couple of reasons but I agree with you that it should be your choice. We could use a little thinning of the gene pool.
despite the fact that it might be an excellent DIY post (and it was an excellent DIY post),

its also a "potential" future Darwin Award nomination

And comments like No one but yourself is responsible for your actions. simply is not true because, as others may suspect, in the process of removing oneself "potentionally" from the gene pool, you drive up the cost of insurance for ALL of us.
 
  #27  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
jtpryan
jtpryan is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Castle, NH
Posts: 251
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh please...

Originally Posted by JeffS
What a bunch of sheep...

An seatbelt dinger described as a "critical safety device"...

More and more often I'm hearing people whine about others driving up their insurance costs. I, for one, refuse to hand over my personal freedoms to the insurance companies.

You aren't, just you're wallet. Personal freedoms are only personal when they have NO effect on those around you. Being injured or killed because you were too stupid/lazy to wear a seat belt does not qualify.

From all the complaining, I can only assume that

- none of you smoke
--> I don't, and this falls into the same catagory as above.
- none of you drink
--> I do, but I don't do it to abuse, or get behind the wheel.

- none of you are overweight
--> No, but those that are should pay more for health insurance unless it is a genuine condition they have no control over.

- you all excercise regularly
--> I do, and get a discount because of it.

- none of you eat fast food
--> Not much. But wouldn't it be nice if the McDonald's of the world had to subsidize some of the insurance costs they contribute to.

- none of you drive over the speed limit

-->There's a limit? Anyway, those that get caught pay higher rates.

- well, actually, none of you should be driving at all, since public transportation creates less emissions, which keeps air quality higher

-->Probably should, if you can.

- you don't have sex with multiple partners

-->If I did and my wife found out all I would need is in funeral insurance... so No.

- no drug use

-->Not since 1973... I think.

- no unsafe hobbies

-->Woodworking, and I use all the appropriate safty devices.

- etc...

And if you really do live a low-risk lifestyle, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

The problem with your logic is none of what you mentioned is what I would call a low-risk lifestyle, just a smart one. I ski, skydive, and have done other high risk activities, but use the equipment to minimize injury. I wear helmets, use safe bindings, etc. I have no problem with the guy on a back road taking a turn in a MINI a bit too fast and hitting a tree. But if he/she is stupid enough to not have the seatbelt on and gets injured, then let the entire cost come out of his/her pocket. Take the car, put a lien on the house, whatever, but nobody else pays for it.
 
  #28  
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Maximusmini
Maximusmini is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My seatbelt chime on my 05 doesn't bug me! I came hearing impaired! but hey! Always fasten your seatbelt for safety! I've seen too many accidents happen and the occupants inside didn't make it out alice because of no seatbelt.
 
  #29  
Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 PM
liaudio
liaudio is offline
2nd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK! You have all convinced me! I hereby promise to ALWAYS wear my seatbelt.

I have also:

successfully managed to install a device which won't allow my Mini to break 65 mph!

installed a device which senses lateral g forces and lowers my speed around turns.


oh, one more thing. I noticed a lengthy thread about the G-Tech performance meter. Those people were only using them to test off-road vehicles and did so on non-public highways, right? I sure hope so!!!!


Not like two wrongs make a right, but you get my point.
 
  #30  
Old 12-23-2005, 12:12 PM
red rage's Avatar
red rage
red rage is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now going to disable the brakes and steering wheel ...

Standby for an update
 
  #31  
Old 12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
jtpryan
jtpryan is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Castle, NH
Posts: 251
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I don't get your point...

Originally Posted by liaudio
OK! You have all convinced me! I hereby promise to ALWAYS wear my seatbelt.

I have also:

successfully managed to install a device which won't allow my Mini to break 65 mph!

installed a device which senses lateral g forces and lowers my speed around turns.


oh, one more thing. I noticed a lengthy thread about the G-Tech performance meter. Those people were only using them to test off-road vehicles and did so on non-public highways, right? I sure hope so!!!!


Not like two wrongs make a right, but you get my point.

I think you miss a large part of why you should be wearing your seatbelt. You may be driving 25 in a 30 and get hit head on by a teenager in a Buick going the other way at 40. If you aren't wearing a seatbelt, I don't want to pay for it, directly or indirectly. Accidents happen, you need to take responsiblity to protect yourself in such a manner as to minimize injury. We don't live in an isolated world anymore, we all pay for morons.

Of course the argument could be made that losing somebody that is too thick to see the importance of wearing a seatbelt is only going to strengthen the gene pool eventually...

I could be wrong, but you sound like you have a lot of years of driving ahead of you, I hope you get to use them all...
 
  #32  
Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 PM
danielg
danielg is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 318
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work on the DIY. Good troubleshooting skills you have. I won't comment on the seatbelt issue because this is not the place.

My '05 will chime if no seatbelt is worn, but only for ~5 minutes or so. Then it stops and the light remains on.

I brought up the same question about the passenger airbag light. If you get into an accident without a passenger, will the pass. airbags deploy? Obviously they won't if the "Pass Airbag OFF" light is ON--which can be accomplished by simply connecting the seat belt of the empty passenger seat or putting something heavy on the passenger seat with no seatbelt.
 
  #33  
Old 12-23-2005, 02:42 PM
bambam
bambam is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 251
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't wear mine either but there is an easier way to do it. All you have to do is cut out a plastic buckle that fits into the slot. Slide it in and no ore dinging.
 
  #34  
Old 12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
chows4us's Avatar
chows4us
chows4us is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtpryan
.. We don't live in an isolated world anymore, we all pay for morons.

Of course the argument could be made that losing somebody that is too thick to see the importance of wearing a seatbelt is only going to strengthen the gene pool eventually...
You put a smiley there but I would not. With ALL the evidence that seat belts save lives ... Darwin's Natural Selection will take its course and the Gene Pool WILL be thinned out. It's nature's way
 
  #35  
Old 12-23-2005, 05:08 PM
eVal
eVal is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
You put a smiley there but I would not. With ALL the evidence that seat belts save lives ... Darwin's Natural Selection will take its course and the Gene Pool WILL be thinned out. It's nature's way
Yeah but the people that care for him deserve better. I just hope that whoever gets that car next knows that the chime is disabled in case they are the forgetful type (like my Mom, I am thankful for the advent of the seatbelt chime considering that she'd certainly not remember it otherwise).

I wasn't gonna add to the fracas but my resolve crumbled I guess
 
  #36  
Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Jdewey's Avatar
Jdewey
Jdewey is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McHenry County, Northern Illinois
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liability for injuries with out safety devices

In kinder garden, you learned that life should be fair. Since we found out about Santa Clause, we have all wised up.

If you hit some one in a car that is not using a seat belt or a person on a motorcycle with out a helmet, it seems to many that the person not using the safety device should bear the responsibility for the increased injuries.

I am not a lawyer, and have not followed the case law, But...

In states with "contributory negligence" you might be able to make that argument. Then the liability is distributed across the contributors. I have never heard of it being succesful.

Many states have "comparitive" negligence, and in that case all that matters is who had the most responsibilty for the event, not the injuries that resulted from it.

This is one of the key reasons that "no fault auto insurance" (everyone insured themselves on the theroy there would be no need for arguments in court) failed in this country. You can't sue yourself for your own mistakes.

Ill shut up now.

John
 
  #37  
Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 AM
liaudio
liaudio is offline
2nd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, if you think its a bad idea to dis-able the chime, SKIP THE F*#K OVER THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't a thread about why you should use your seatbelt, which I do, but (what I thought) was a great "how to."

I wear my seatbelt since I feel naked without it and I simply didn't want a machine to nag me about it.

Please stop the ridiculous rambling about insurance or any other non-related banter for another thread!!!
 
  #38  
Old 12-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Outbackbob
Outbackbob is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Medford, Or
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hearing impaired also.
Anyone know how to make the chime louder.
I've come out of stores many times only to find my headlights still on. Luckily they revert to parking lights after I turn off the key.

My F150 let's the car next to me know I'm not buckeled up!
 
  #39  
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM
CDMINI's Avatar
CDMINI
CDMINI is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Fla.
Posts: 1,026
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liaudio
hey, if you think its a bad idea to dis-able the chime, SKIP THE F*#K OVER THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=black]
It's just when you see so much energy and precision put into such a DUMB idea, it's just impossible to restrain commenting on the shear foolishness of it all.

Remember the children's story "The Emperor's New Clothes", not commenting on this thread is kind of like that ...
 
  #40  
Old 12-26-2005, 11:17 AM
BoCRon's Avatar
BoCRon
BoCRon is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alpharetta Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I for one HATE the seatbelt chime and would love to disable it, but I'm sure I never will. Looks like something I would have trouble doing, so oh well.
I have 12 acres and about 3-4 miles of paved road running through our property. I really hate when I just need to drive down to the kennel building to tell my husband something (he can't hear or feel the cell phone when he is on the tractor) and have to hear the dinging the whole way, I also stop at my mailbox when I come in and then have to listen to it all the way to the house. I don't like seatbelts in general since they always seem to hit me in the throat and just irritate me, but I do wear it out on the road. I have 2 children that watch everything I do, so gotta set the proper example.
But the idea that anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt must be a law breaking yahoo and a menace on the roads is laughable. I see alot of idiots on the roads and most of them are wearing seat belts, so I totally miss that logic.
Annette
 
  #41  
Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 AM
pooch1's Avatar
pooch1
pooch1 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Location: toronto area
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around here if you contribute to your own injuries by your own negligence ie you are a veggie after going thru windsheil the court will linit damages.
 
  #42  
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 PM
chows4us's Avatar
chows4us
chows4us is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
 

Last edited by chows4us; 07-18-2007 at 02:07 PM.
  #43  
Old 12-26-2005, 03:31 PM
The_iaiN
The_iaiN is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hudson, New Hampshire
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilaudio, just a suggestion but you knew that you would get flamed for this, you even admit to it. But you posted anyway, so you are responsible for this entire thread. Nice DIY, but stop complaining.

I don't have a problem with you disabling your sensor, but i do have a problem with you being embarassed by your seat belt alarm. I personally tell my friends that they need to buckle up or I'm holding them responsible for their airbag, if it goes off. I also blame them for the dinging. Of course, I get the impression that your friends blame you for having a car that beeps in this situation. Hmm... but have you ever stopped from 30 or 45? I mean a nice, quick, complete stop. Try it. It's fun.
 
  #44  
Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 PM
chows4us's Avatar
chows4us
chows4us is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gonna leave a mark
 

Last edited by chows4us; 07-18-2007 at 02:07 PM.
  #45  
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 PM
eVal
eVal is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
But the idea that anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt must be a law breaking yahoo and a menace on the roads is laughable. I see alot of idiots on the roads and most of them are wearing seat belts, so I totally miss that logic.
I don't think anyone presumes that people can't be idiotic drivers even if wearing a seatbelt, however, since wearing a seatbelt on the road is the law in many areas not wearing it is lawbreaking. Aside from that, knowing what is known about the benefits of the safety belt and just how easy it is to wear people are responding to the notion of the effort going into basically breaking the mechanism to make it stop chiming. Ultimately I think that people are responding so strongly because the logical, safest and easiest thing to do is simply buckle it - like people respond to anything others do that is unsafe when doing the safe thing is easy ie not signalling, not using headlights, eating/using a cell phone while driving, etc.

By the by, I have never used them but I know there are all sorts of seat belt adjusters that will stop the belt from digging into your neck. A quick Google yielded this one among others:
http://www.autobarn.net/seatbelad2pa.html
 
  #46  
Old 12-26-2005, 03:52 PM
chows4us's Avatar
chows4us
chows4us is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eVal
Ultimately I think that people are responding so strongly because the logical, safest and easiest thing to do is simply buckle it
I think a lot has to do with the state and how it applies its laws. In our state, seat belt laws were a secondary offense. In other words, if you got caught for say running a red light they could also ticket you for not wearing a seatbelt.

That law changed years ago so that its a primary offense AND if your passenger isn't wearing one OR a child seat isn't fitted properly, you get at ticket. And, they tend to enforce it.

Your mileage may vary.
 
  #47  
Old 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Suzannne's Avatar
Suzannne
Suzannne is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken from the Site Guidelines:

5. LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited.

This post directly provides information related to the violation of many state's mandatory seatbelt laws. Obviously if someone is annoyed enough by the dinging sound that they feel the need to disable it, they aren't wearing their seatbelt. I argue that we not encourage this behavior by letting this thread continue. This original post is ridiculous.
 
  #48  
Old 12-26-2005, 05:23 PM
CDMINI's Avatar
CDMINI
CDMINI is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Fla.
Posts: 1,026
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOD CATCH.
 
  #49  
Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Electric Shock
Electric Shock is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 2,416
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtpryan
Hate to see what he does when his wife starts talking too much...
Agree or not you got to admit that is very funny.

My '05 must be early enough that I don't have the problem.

My girlfiend is an older model that can't be disconnected in any way.
 
  #50  
Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 AM
liaudio
liaudio is offline
2nd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suzanne,

Disabling the chime isn't illegal.


Everyone else-

Keep your non-related comments to yourself or save them for another thread.


That is all. That is the last DIY how-to i will ever post.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.