Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Why the sarcasm, bambam? This is a DISCUSSION board. It's all about opinions. Some positive, some negative. Some are thought provoking and make us think about things in a different way, or inform us of things we didn't know.

P.S. your = possessive; you're = contraction of you are

Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it is and I am just sharing my point of view like everyone else. The second someone says they didn't wear their belt, you guys are right there on your pedistal preaching as though your perfect. Don't take offense to that, just think about it.

Whats that saying?? He who throws the first stone

Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bambam
The second someone says they didn't wear their belt, you guys are right there on your pedistal preaching as though your perfect. Don't take offense to that, just think about it. ...
I think your missing the point.

Posts relating ... violations of other laws are prohibited.

Not wearing your seat belt is a violation in probably every state. Trying to protect the public is not sitting in an Ivory Tower.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I think your missing the point.

Posts relating ... violations of other laws are prohibited.

Not wearing your seat belt is a violation in probably every state. Trying to protect the public is not sitting in an Ivory Tower.
Trying to protect the public is fine but if thats the goal then why is it socially acceptible to follow all the current laws while driving like a complete dumba$$? (that is not directed at any of you). It takes more then laws to be safe but unfortunatly most people can't see beyond that. :impatient

The seatbelt law is simply treating the symptom, not solving the problem. I have no problem with the law or wearing my seatbelt but the problem it causes is now most people think as long as their buckled up and have airbags there is nothing else to be concerned about.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Trying to protect the public is fine but if thats the goal then why is it socially acceptible to follow all the current laws while driving like a complete dumba$$?

The seatbelt law is simply treating the symptom, not solving the problem. I have no problem with the law or wearing my seatbelt but the problem it causes is now most people think as long as their buckled up and have airbags there is nothing else to be concerned about.
I have no argument with that at all. For example, I've seen a thread where people thought it was perfectly normal to NOT STOP at STOP signs and if you said that was not cool, they thought you nuts. Those people need to see a good movie on traffic deaths caused by running red lights

I agree with your second point too.

I do not think its right for people to publically say they are going to violate the traffic laws "because everyone else does" or "they are going to do whatever they want". That is the reason ppl may get a bad response from others.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:04 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
I guess this strikes a nerve with me because until I hear people talking about a proper drivers ed class that covers all aspects of driving. Removing people from the road who shouldn't be there such as drunks, inattentive drivers, drivers that want to wage war, drivers who make up their own rules, drivers who can't merge, drivers who can't drive in the snow, etc... (I could go on and on). I don't want to hear about anything else such as seatbelts. Its not going to make that big of a difference if you look at the big picture. This is not where the focus needs to be. Unfortunatly everyone thinks the can do anything they want as long as their seatbelt is on, like its now ok to be an idiot and not pay attention for example. This is comming from a guy who has spent more time on the road then most. I used to drive truck locally and over the road, I've seen it all.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:07 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Removing people from the road who shouldn't be there such as drunks, inattentive drivers, drivers that want to wage war, drivers who make up their own rules, drivers who can't merge, drivers who can't drive in the snow, etc... (I could go on and on).
I'm 100% in agreement with you.

One battle at a time. This came up in this thread.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I see where you're coming from, bambam, but IMO seatbelts don't make people idiot drivers. Idiot drivers would be that way seatbelt on or off. Nobody here (IIRC) claimed wearing the seatbelt made them invincible, nor that it gave them enhanced driving capabilities only that it is safer than not wearing one. It's all relative, and this IS a thread about seat belts.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
i wish all this talk would have been started on another thread. :( It's a great conversation, but now it's 80 responses long, 75 of 'em not related to the subject.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:22 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=53221

Why hasn't this thread gotten any flamers?

Old 12-31-2005, 04:49 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
edit

Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Wow, I never knew there were so many perfect people in this world. Its good to know that your all doing your part. I'm sure you all have a perfect diet, don't smoke, don't drink, exercise daily, and have perfect sleeping habits because we don't want to drive up the cost of health care now do we.

Until your perfect I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.
Wait, by your own logic if you aren't perfectly perfect, then you cannot comment on my own perfection. Of course, I was trying to have a discussion on the effects of lying to the car in low speed, probably non-fatal, collisions. Please skip the bunk and tell me why you don't want your airbag to compensate for your lack of a seatbelt in this type of situation.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
So what your asking is if I disable the seatbelt chime or put a fake buckle in the slot so the car thinks I am buckled up why don't I want the airbag to compensate? To tell you the truth I don't know. I'm not even sure what the airbag will do If I am buckled up or not. I know I am going to get nailed to the cross for this but I wish I didnt even have airbags. I would rather save my money and take my chances. My attitude has always been on the offense, instead of always dealing with crap just avoid it. I don't want cancer so I don't smoke, I don't want a heart attack so I eat right and exercise, I don't want to deal with insurance adjustors and high rates so I dont run into things. Yea yea, I know someone can hit me blah blah blah, so can lightning.

And no, I Am not perfect. Whats the big deal?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:57 AM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Hmm... I disagree with you about the airbags. There's a certain amount of reasonable prevention without which one is taking uneccesary risks. I agree about the lightning, it would be ludicrous to insist on grounding myself no whenever I go outside. However, I rank seatbelts and airbags jsut below armor. If I were going into a combat situation (and I'm in the military, so it could happen), I'd want armor even if that armor isn't going to stop everything it may stop something. I think the car's airbags cover a reasonable "just in case" scenario and as evidence I merely ask that you come to a sudden and complete stop from about 30 (using the cars own breaks, not external obstacles). This demonstrates what your car is capable of doing, and why you should allow the safety system to function as desired.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
my point was not whether the were breaking any laws or not since radar detectors aren't illegal.

It is just that they are modifying the car to potentially break the law. Much like I did. But instead of anything constructive to the thread, I got balled-out.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 AM
findude
4th Gear
Radar detectors ARE illegal in Virginia. . . .

Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 AM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by liaudio
my point was not whether the were breaking any laws or not since radar detectors aren't illegal.

It is just that they are modifying the car to potentially break the law. Much like I did. But instead of anything constructive to the thread, I got balled-out.
It might be because they aren't modifying a safety system they don't completely understand.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Good DIY post. The only buzzer, chime, or gong in a car that I don't absolutely DESPISE is the one that reminds me I left the headlights on. On other cars, I have disabled key buzzers and seatbelt chimes....I guess I'm just evil incarnate Unfortunately, it's more trouble than it's worth to do it on the MINI.

I have 4 cars. When I swap them around in the driveway, or pull one into my shop (detached garage) to work on it, I don't put on the seatbelt. I think I'll survive a 2 mph collision without seatbelts if I ever hit anything.

When I'm waxing a car or doing other work, I like to play the stereo with the doors and trunk open. The MINI doesn't need the key to play the radio, all my other cars do, which sets off the annoying key buzzer.

If it gongs, beeps, rings, or buzzes and you don't like it; do away with it if you want.

Rawhyde

Old 01-04-2006, 08:20 AM
bambam
3rd Gear
I agree with you Rawhyde. Trying to work on a your car and having the annoying dinging going off gets old really quick, especially if your trying to diagnose a certain noise. The Mini isnt too bad compared to american cars though. I wish they made the buzzer like they used to where you just reach under the dash and unplug it.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 AM
eVal
6th Gear
You guys are funny, if the chime bugs you when working on the car, etc just plug the belt in - it's that easy.

I don't think you can compare putting in a radar detector since that is an accessory added and easy to remove, vs damaging the car to remove the chime (and, as I mentioned before, leaves the next owner without it). Also, as The_iaiN stated, it is 'modifying a safety system they don't completely understand' - better to investigate other options (ie programming, asking a Mini tech, checking out the ETK diagrams) before messing randomly with it. Or simply buckle it :D

Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
lwilliamson
1st Gear
Seatbelt Plug

Let me say at the beginning that I am a firm believer in wearing of seat belts but I do find the "dinging" extremely annoying on my '05 MC. I make quite a few very short trips in my subdivision to my son's house around the corner and to have to buckle up every time I go is very irritating to me. I did not want to make any electrical modifications to disable the chime but I came up with a very quick way to shut it off without having to drag the seat belt out. I constructed two plugs out of 1/8" thick aluminum bar, 3/4" wide and 3 inches long. (See attached photo) I laid the seat belt latch on the metal plug and marked the square hole on it and drilled it out with a drill. I then squared it up with a small file. By plugging it into the seat belt receptacle it silences the chime. I keep it stuck under my sunvisor at all other times.

Lyn

Old 03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Slowdude
Neutral
I am in total agreement with Rawhyde and really like Lyn's solution. When I go home tonight in my new Mini, I will turn into my subdivions DIRT road, stop the car, get out and retrieve my mail, 1st gear idle 1/4 mile (7mph), stop the car at my driveway, put my trash can in the hatch, 1st gear idle 1/8 mile (7mph) up my DIRT driveway, stop the car and unload the trashcan at the corner of the house, then park in the garage. This is a whoooole lot of donging. A simple buzzer that I could unplug would be just about perfect when not wearing my seatbelt while driving on private property.
John
PS. Hatchback aerodynamics and dusty roads don't mix.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow this turned into a totally different thread. The guy found a solution to his problem and decided to share it w/ others. Whether he should or not wear his seatbelt is a TOTALLY different subject matter.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Barnabas
Wow this turned into a totally different thread. The guy found a solution to his problem and decided to share it w/ others. Whether he should or not wear his seatbelt is a TOTALLY different subject matter.
Maybe you missed this ... https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines which states ... "Posts relating to ...violations of other laws are prohibited."
At least in our state ... there is a law against removing safety devices ...

I think maybe that was the real point.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Doc C
Neutral
Thanks liaudio!!!! I HATE that constant beeping!!! From reading the posts it seems that Mini themselves decided it was annoying since the 2006 models don't seem to have the chime go on and on and on forever. Someone mentioned the NHTSA. Ah yes, the people that brought us airbags that can kill people. The group that skews statistical data to justify more and more legislation to restrict motoring enthusiasts. Oh, and did I mention they mandated a safety device that has killed and injured many?? Yes I did.

Smoking and obesity drives health insurance premiums up exponentially more than the lack of seatbelt use affects auto insurance premiums. Yet, if everytime one of you smokers lit up a cigarette, or ate a big mac, a chime rang in your ear continually, you'd cry about how it was an invasion of your privacy, and that you should have the right to destroy yourself. You know that activity is harmful, and yet choose to do it anyway. Smokers are more prone to auto accidents, so we get all of the higher insurance premiums because of it. Actually, it is a fact that everytime you smoke a cigarette, you harm your body. It is not a fact that everytime someone doesn't use their seatbelt that they hurt themselves. Most of the time no harm is done at all. I'm not saying I advocate not using seatbelts. They are quite beneficial.

There are people who removed the runflat sensors from their Coopers as well on this forum aren't there? Isn't that a safety device that is being removed that the next owner may or may not know about as well?? If I turn off the DSC on my Cooper, isn't that a safety device that is being taken away, and increasing the likelyhood of an accident, and therefore possibly increasing increasing insurance costs as well? Many people still remove their airbags on older cars, because they freakin' kill and injure people. The government has rules about headlights as well, yet many on here (including myself) have the rally lights installed that are not legal to be used in many states. Plus, how about all the mods on all the Minis on here? Are they all crash tested to meet federal standards?? Carbon fiber hoods don't crumple like the metal hoods, and can be more dangerous. I never saw where liaudio said to not wear your seatbelts in his well done DIY post. I drove my NSX and LX today. I did not have to have an annoying chime to beep forever to remind me to buckle up. The simple fact that it's the law is good enough for me. I don't need to have a chime to remind me in those vehicles (Lexus chimes for 5 seconds, then has a light. NSX no chime, just a light) to buckle up.
I'm glad Mini came to their senses and got rid of the constant chime on the '06 models. My dealer said they had a LOT of complaints about that feature. Apparently, they agree with liaudio. The NHTSA has cost car owners a lot of money for no gains in safety over the years. The center high mounted brake light did nothing to help prevent rear end accidents. Airbags cost insurance companies, car companies ( and of course, the consumer) huge amounts of money each year. They said eliminating the 55 mph national speed limit would bloody the highways when, in fact, the highway death toll actually decreased slightly in the few years following repealing that limit.

Thanks again liaudio. I'm going to go and get rid of the chime from hell. You're DIY was very helpful. It was much more helpful than the people who attacked you and wished you harm in an auto accident. Debate on an issue is fine, but wishing someone bodily injury in that debate is not constructive or helpful. It also shows no tact and a lack of intelligence. I thought Mini owners were above that. Take care.

Quick Reply: Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!