Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:22 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are very welcome Doc.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:26 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
Chows-

Maybe you missed this... https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines which states... "Posts relating to ...violations of other laws are prohibited."

Disabling that chime isn't illegal. So, yeah..... Keep your meaningless posts to yourself.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:47 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not wearing one IS .. in every state.

Last edited by chows4us; 07-18-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 AM
-Jonathan-
3rd Gear
Isn't there an exception to the rule? If you are on your own private property (lets say you have a private race course), you wouldn't have to wear a seatbelt by law? Right? I'm no lawyer, I just like to learn the rules by challenging the rules. It's always a good idea to wear your seatbelt, but that chime can get annoying in any car, especially if your just trying to move from one parking space to the next.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Vixi
Neutral
Edited because the post turned out formatted strange and I also realize there is no point in even retyping it.

Just a simple thank you for Liaudio for his wonderful DIY post.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:04 PM
swizzle
3rd Gear
One more option

buckle your seatbelt before starting the car. Then no annoying dinging!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by swizzle
One more option

DING DING!! WE HAVE A WINNER!! Hard to believe a light application of common sense would totally eliminate the chime problem.

But so long as the unrestrained carcass doesn't fly out the windshield and hurt a person in another car, it shouldn't be a big deal, right? Darwin will sort things out, given enough time.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:43 PM
kwk Mini
2nd Gear
Thanks for the DIY information wll written. I will disable my chime as I have in my other vehicles. I always wear my seatbelt while driving, but I spend a gret deal of time in my vehicles with the motor running or the key on and not moving. The chime becomes very irratating especially when using a cellphone or making detailed notes. So the disabling of the chime can serve a purpose.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:39 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
clever but plagued with ethical issues

Old 07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Whats wrong with buckling your seatbelt? Sheesh.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 PM
ppt777
1st Gear
OWWW the amount of hypocrisies of some MINI owners dissapoint me. This guy post a DIY (good one) on how to remove the seatbelt chime, not disabling the seatbelt altogether. There is nothing illegal about that, 80% of automobiles out there don,t have it.

Some of the hypocrites thought this posting encourage breaking of the LAW, well i think alot of other threads about how to increase the speed of MINI & radar detectors also encourage breaking the LAW, why not flame on those threads too?

Some of the hypocrites also brought something about raising insurance cost, disabling the chime does make insurance cost go up, not wearing seatbelt is and the i don't see the OP encourage it at any point in this thread. Also speeding cause insurance rate to go up way more than not wearing seatbelt, the flamers in this thread never drive above the speed limit?? I don't think so.

The major cause for raising insurance cost is those people making false claims to cover for their own mistake.

Driving excessively also raise GAS price for everybody so lets flame HARD on those threads about motoring together accross country or something, don't even buy a MINI because MINI encourage it. SHiet did you see gas prices today??

Also, none of the flamers never ever speak on a cellie without hands-free devices while driving right?? Its illegal and can cause accidents that drive insurance rates to go up.

I bet if the OP post a DIY about how to make your MINI outrace a Lambor Murcielago on the street or how to make your MINI become invisible to police radars/cameras or how to never pay tax again or how to make your MINI handle twisty turns on 100mph , none of these flamers/hypocrites would complain or flame.

Personally, i think its unwise to disable the chime unless it can be easily reversed so i wont be doing this in my car. Its a very good DIY however and its too bad the OP won't post another DIY because of the flamers.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
Whats wrong with buckling your seatbelt? Sheesh.
Whats wrong with a 6-point harness?

I hate all the extra chiming when a switch to alt. and listen to the radio while I wash the car and check oil(insert don't work on car with key in ignition disclaimer here), or close the windows when it rains, see if an electrical mod worked, etc, etc.

Is it really nessacary to buckle up for all of those situations; yeah you should wear your seatbelt while driving (even though a 3pt does almost nothing to keep you in place) with the way I drive I'd be in the passenger seat if I didn't.

Thanks for the DIY, I'll porbably do this soon as I find the inital chime very anoying and am looking into porper rce seats and harnesses which means the chime would ever present on track days.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
buzzs06s
1st Gear
AMEN jeffs!!!!! I was thinking the same thing when reading all of the "perfect people's" responses. If the seat belt chime did not bug all of you guys, you would have never clicked on the thread to see how to do it, then read all the instructions and give your two cents. "Screw you guys" I'm doing it, and I'll like it!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone a while back commented on how it affects the airbag operation, for this reason alone I think this mod is a bad idea (not easily reversible). The extra bucke trick is the way to go. This would also be good for someone who has a harness for driving schools, auto-x, etc and not using the factory belt at that time. I think there are some good reasons to limit the chime, even if going for morning coffee without a belt isn't one of them.
Still a good write-up, and as long as your happy with it...WTH

Another thought, if the 06 is set differently, perhaps recoding the instrument cluster help. During manual coding ,the GT1 used to ask if it has a seatbelt warning...for the US you answer YES, perhaps answering NO would disable it.
Any MINI techs here, or friends with one might want to play with it.

--Dan
P.S. please don't confuse my post with advocating breaking the law
IMO seatbelts should be a common sense thing, not a law, anyway.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:18 PM
jerry@suscom.net
1st Gear
Thank you for sharing. Those others who whined are clueless clods. Your info is just what I was looking for.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:36 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Well, I've read 9 of the 12 pages of this thread. Lots of over reaction to what started out as a very well thought out DIY for a very aggrevating noise. Thanks Liaudio for the post! Thanks to everyone else for posting their opinions (no matter how misguided). Once again, the original post has nothing whatever to do with wearing seatbelts or not. Everyone have a great holiday season and Merry Christmas!!! david

Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
mistro
6th Gear
for whatever reason my 05, Sept 04 build MCSC doesn't chime, I have a light but no chime. Dealers says my build doesnt have a chime, I don't believe him, but I don't really want the chime anyway...

Old 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
this is a great mod! I used the harness's (but still have my factory belts for street use) when im using my harness the light drives me crazyyy!!! Now i gues I wont have to worry about that!

Old 12-13-2006, 04:55 PM
minid2
Neutral
Great DIY liaudio. Seat belts save lives? Maybe. My father was in an accident many years ago and would have died had he been wearing a seatbelt. I put mine on unconsciously every time I enter a vehicle. My choice.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by swizzle
One more option

The simplest option of all.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Whats wrong with a 6-point harness?

I hate all the extra chiming when a switch to alt. and listen to the radio while I wash the car and check oil(insert don't work on car with key in ignition disclaimer here), or close the windows when it rains, see if an electrical mod worked, etc, etc.
If no one is sitting in the seat while the ignition is on, there won't be any chimes. If it is chiming with an empty seat, you have other problems.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
[quote=liaudio;755537]Generalizing about me or my driving habits because of what I choose to do to my car is completely uncalled for.
quote]

That's what safety ***** do.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Suzannne
Obviously if someone is annoyed enough by the dinging sound that they feel the need to disable it, they aren't wearing their seatbelt. I argue that we not encourage this behavior by letting this thread continue. This original post is ridiculous.
swizzle and ashboomstick, and some others: you have completely missed the point.

This issue goes way beyond a dinger, and the actual act of wearing/not wearing a seatbelt.

It seems that the general populace either has no problem with others gaining more and more control over our lives, or actually encourage it.

Me? I don't want anyone telling me I have to do something for my own safety. That should be my own decision to make. Do I wear a seatbelt? Yes. But I don't need/want what someone previously refrred to as an electronic nanny reminding me to do so. Do I always wear a helmet when riding one of my motorcycles, even in a non-helmet-law state? Yes, I do, because I have chosen to do so because I feel it is the right thing for _me_ to do.

For all the hysteria that has been generated by the original post amongst the safety-at-any-cost crowd, I, for one, cannot believe how ready, willing, and able you all are to give up personal responsibility, or rather, the ability to make your own decisions regarding your own actions.

And here's one you're gonna love: I don't care about insurance costs. We live in an extraordinarily corrupt world where money, our money, is spent in ways that we would never approve of if we had any actual say in how it was spent. You could save yourself a pile o' cash if you organized and somehow made your wishes known to the institutions that use and abuse you and your money day in and day out. But it'll never happen because not enough people care enough to make it happen. It's easier to just let 'someone else' take care of it.

Does anyone here read any science fiction ('The Giver' comes to mind)? Many people just dismiss that stuff as fiction, which it is in reality. But take a look at at a major theme of that genre - the homogenization of society through controil by 'big brother.' Sounds far-fetched, right? How many of you have traffic cameras in your areas? When they came out, people thought, cool, now we can see on cable TV what the roads look like when we leave in the mornings. Now we have traffic control cameras at intersections (not a bad thing - no one should be running red lights). Cameras have appeared in cities in more and more locations, and lately there has been talk about mounting even more cameras to monitor 'public safety.' Where does this stop? We don't know yet, but you don't have to a genius to see where it is going. You won't be able to go anywhere without there being a record of it. Some people will say, 'so what, I'm not doing anything wrong.' But do you really want _anyone_ having so much knowledge about you that you have to watch every step you take? Can you imagine something like McCarthyism with today's (and tomorrow's) technology?

What does this have to do with disconnecting a seat belt dinger? Nothing, except that it goes to the deeper issue of acceptance of government control, something so many people are swallowing hook, line, and sinker, in the guise of 'safety.' The dinger is a small part of the equation. 1984 may have come and gone without incident, but '1984' will arrive, probably sooner than we think. Wake up and look at the big picture.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Zip, FWIW I agree with you; but man o man did you ever pick the wrong place to make such a post. I hope you have your monitor sitting on an asbestos tablecloth!

Rawhyde

Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
Zip, FWIW I agree with you; but man o man did you ever pick the wrong place to make such a post. I hope you have your monitor sitting on an asbestos tablecloth!

Rawhyde
Yeah, I know it's a 'can-o-worms' type of post, but I thought it needed a fresh perspective.

The basic facts are:

- so many people were missing the point of the original post
- disabling a dinger is not illegal
- a dinger doesn't figure one whit re my safety because I wear a seatbelt (and a helmet even when I don't have to)
- it is wrong to assume that someone who disables a dinger is automatically not going to wear a seatbelt
- it is wrong to assume that a person who does so is automatically also a low-life who abuses or breaks other laws

My opinions are:

- that I want to be able to choose for myself how and how much I want to preserve my own safety
- that too many people are all too willing to go along with whatever those in power say is 'best' for them
- that the government has entirely too much say in my day to day affairs. The government's role should be limited to protecting us from foreign invaders and enacting laws that discourage us from harming each other - assault, murder, and thievery-type stuff, and maybe some real, and not just perceived, control over the segment of society that can really screw us over, and has been, since it came into being: big business - and that's it.

Someone had mentioned smoking, and eating crap like McDonalds. Now those are cans of worms that would require a whole 'nother thread or forum or whatever to get into the why and hows of why these activities are still not only legal, but encouraged. But I'm not going there (here).

Quick Reply: Electrical Disable your Seat Belt warning chime!!!