Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Auto Up Windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Batgirl555
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew into the dragon a month and a half ago and rode with a friend who installed Ian's switch right when he got his Mini. Originally - I didn't think much of the switch. Yeah it'd be nice to have - but eh, I've lived without it and can continue to live without it.

Then I got back from the dragon. And tried to auto-up my windows constantly and got irritated that I couldn't. Ordered my circuit 5 days after coming back from the dragon. Originally tried the blind install. Got it in, packed up the console, went for a drive and had *no* window functions. Turns out my nails were a little to long for me to plug it in blind, so I went home, tore apart my dash, and plugged that little sucker in for good. Love it - will *never* go back and can't see how anyone can live without it now that I have it!!!

And I only lost 1 nail in the process of yanking my dash off.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Will this work on the convertible? More accurately, will it work with the buttons that are on the windshield frame and operate the back quarter windows? Has anyone done this with a convertible? If not: Ian, can you express an opinion? I am pretty much ready to do this as soon as I get back from my vacation.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
In case Ian is busy...

The circuit is just an interface between the toggle rack and the BCM (BC1?) It tells the BCM that you're holding the window toggle up when you toggle it twice, thus it would have no effect on the rear windows. I'm sure Ian (genius that he is :smile: ) would be able to create something for the rear windows, but it doesn't currently exist.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Eric - of course you are exactly correct that the MINI circuit has no effect on the "rear" windows.

In theory it would be possible to make another circuit for those buttons. I don't have a convertible or access to the wiring so I don't know how difficult it would be to design, or to install.
The great benefit of the existing MINI circuit is its ease of installation - no wires to cut or join, just "plug and play"

Old 06-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
And it is easy to remove too. One of the guys who I installed a circuit for just sold his 02 Cooper to get a new 05 MCS. He wanted to keep the circuit for the new car (of course), so I removed it in about 5 mins. Next time I see him, I'm sure I'll be installing it into the new car.
Ian, will it remember the functions that were active on the old car, or will I need to re-activate after a re-install? Not that it's a big deal, but nice to know.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agro
Ian, will it remember the functions that were active on the old car, or will I need to re-activate after a re-install? Not that it's a big deal, but nice to know.
It will be configured exactly as it was when removed ... I always have to ensure to disable all functions after testing before I ship, for that reason!

Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Manual mode...

Thanks for the reply about the rear foglights. However, I really am interested in that function. Since you have provided a way to disable or enable auto function whenever you like, I don't forsee the rear foglight being too bright to auto on. You can just over-ride it to manual control, or switch it off when it is imprudent to have it on.

The appeal of the circuit is not to decide for you when you wish to use the devices, but facilitate 'how' you activate (or deactivate) them.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by GBMINI
No ... if you ever drive behind a car, MINI or other, with rear fogs on, you will realize they are much too bright to be left on. Generally front fogs are the same, but the MINIs are mounted very low and well angled to minimize dazzle to approaching cars.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this reply.
I'm blinded far to often by euro car owners who either don't know they have the rear fog, or think that 'brighter is better'. IMO, the imposition of having to turn it on each time its needed is far outweighed by the courtesy of not unneccessarily blinding (and thus being rude to) other drivers.

I learned my lesson while living in Europe. There, if you have the rear fog on and visibility is not less than 50 meters, you will be mercilessly flashed by following drivers until you figure it out and turn off the fog. Ask me how I know. In the US, that would likely be ineffective, or get you shot.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Agro
Cool. I kind of thought that might be the case. Flash memory doesn't care about power interrupts but I thought it best to check.

It will be configured exactly as it was when removed ... I always have to ensure to disable all functions after testing before I ship, for that reason!
To anyone who is thinking about this, do it. I'm now averaging under 10 mins for an install, even on an 05. I've done about 12 now and all have been "blind" including the 05.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Konky
4th Gear
This might be a stupid question, but for auto off "track mode DSC", will it work if your car has "ASC"?

(I believe it's the same thing generally, but the DSC transfers power to other wheels if traction is lost where the ASC cuts off engine power when traction is lost.)

I hate my ASC, and I have to turn it off everytime I start my car.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
(again with Ian's indulgence)

Yes, it will work the same - as with the windows, the circuit just tells the BCM that you've already flipped that toggle.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Agro
DJ_Konky, I don't have DSC, just ASC and was the same as you, turning it off every time I started the car. The circuit does it for me, and I turn it back on for the rare occurences of rain.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Konky
4th Gear
Thanks Agro! Gonna order one soon!

Old 06-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Doctor Wha
2nd Gear
I said it in another thread, but I'll say it in here too: Ian is a freakin' genius!!

I got one of his auto-up circuits for "Buzz," and love it. My Better Half has already bought hers - and she doesn't even have her MINI yet!

Oh and Ian - Hi there! Yeah, finally got around to registering on here. :smile:

Best,
DW

Old 06-24-2005, 06:47 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I just installed the Auto-Up in my 2005....I have pretty big hands and could not do the blind install.... but it went well.... considering I live in TX and my Garage was 93 degrees at 10 PM..... but seriously... so far (used only in the parking garage and when dropping the dog off at daycare) we love it. Install is straight forward and easy...btw I aslo did the rally/driving light relay at the same time....

Originally Posted by Doctor Wha
I said it in another thread, but I'll say it in here too: Ian is a freakin' genius!!
YES, now if he could just fix the steering pull I get when driving by a Starbuck or Krispy Kreme (with the light on of course)!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I installed Ian's circuit yesterday (thanks Ian for the quick delivery, by the way!).

The instructions are incredibly clear. Even though I have an '05 which is supposedly more difficult and I have large hands as well, doing a "blind install" took me only 5 minutes - and part of that time was finding a safe place to set my beer so it wouldn't get knocked over. Configuration was quick and easy and I absolutely love how it works!

Best $$ I've spent on my MINI so far!

/gary mc

Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
... took me only 5 minutes - and part of that time was finding a safe place to set my beer so it wouldn't get knocked over ...

Important stuff first!

Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Man, I can't wait to get this done!!!

Old 06-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Doctor Wha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CARdiac
...now if he could just fix the steering pull I get when driving by a... Krispy Kreme (with the light on of course)!
That's not a bug, that's a "feature!"

Old 06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear

Important stuff first!
Yeah, a man's got to have his priorities. /gary

Old 06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Ok, The installation did not go as well as I thought... somehow I disconnected the iPOD adapter..... Doh

It's fixed.... garage was only 95% hmmm beer or water... choices, choices

Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 PM
TwitchINC
2nd Gear
I installed mine yesterday and I can tell you that is an awesome upgrade

p.s. LOOK MOM!!!!! NO HANDS

Old 07-24-2005, 09:56 AM
goaljnky
Banned
JUst put mine in. '05 MCc. Blind method. Didn't even remove the tray. Just bent it down a bit. Only one bloody scratch to show. Everything worked on the first try. Love it. I don't know if Ian is a God, but he is certainly a Giant amongst men. Thanks Ian.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
JUst put mine in. '05 MCc. Blind method. Didn't even remove the tray. Just bent it down a bit. Only one bloody scratch to show. Everything worked on the first try. Love it. I don't know if Ian is a God, but he is certainly a Giant amongst men. Thanks Ian.
Your hands must be much smaller then mine! I have nominated Ian for Cannonization, but I don't think the Pope listens to nice Jewish Boys like me

Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
yomanne
Neutral
Auto up Windows are tops

I just installed Ian's Auto up mini-circuit in my May 2005 MCS and couldn't be happier. Quick and easy to install (fifteen minutes) and works perfect. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Electrical Auto Up Windows