Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical How Many Accessories Can a MINI Run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How Many Accessories Can a MINI Run?

So this question may be just as much general electric/automotive as it is MINI specific but I wanted to see if anyone here had any first person experience as I know very little about electrical.

I'm wondering how many devices you can have hardwired (either spliced into 12v switched power or hardwired via add-a-fuse) without issues. I'm looking to have radar, laser jammers, dashcam, as well as digital boost gauge all hardwired, with a phone plugged into the usb for power, and a gps using the cigarette lighter. All devices would be running simultaneously for extended periods of time (maybe 6-8hrs a day with breaks here and there).

If it's going to be a problem, is there such a thing as a secondary accessory power setup? I've seen guys with extensive CB setups (in MINIs) that I assume draw a good amount of power, running in combination with other accessories using the cigarette lighter with a splitter, so I figure it should be doable, but I'm wondering if there's a line.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
One hefty stereo power amp or subwoofer amp draws a lot more power than what you are talking about. I don't see an issue, especially with the car running and charging.

*not an electrician. just make sure everything is properly fused and wired.

The following users liked this post:
Kalibdor (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
It's simple Ohm's law. If you've got a 10 amp fuse you need to total the current demands of each item you'll put on that circuit and quit when it totals 10. The power equation is power = voltage times current. Therefore, current (amperage) equals power divided by voltage. Most devices come with some of that information somewhere on a sticker or the box. When all those doodads total 10 Amps or whatever fuse you've got, it's time to find another circuit.

The following users liked this post:
Kalibdor (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
It's simple Ohm's law. If you've got a 10 amp fuse you need to total the current demands of each item you'll put on that circuit and quit when it totals 10. The power equation is power = voltage times current. Therefore, current (amperage) equals power divided by voltage. Most devices come with some of that information somewhere on a sticker or the box. When all those doodads total 10 Amps or whatever fuse you've got, it's time to find another circuit.
Good explanation, thank you.