Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Many Many Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many Many Questions

I have a completly custom car, a 2002 cooper s pushing 14k(had 8 when i bought it). The thing is with me never owning a stock mini, theres many things i know nothing about or whats stock and what is not. To start off what is the stock pounds of boost that a cooper s comes set at? Its tough to see the pulley system with the custom stuff done to my car and i would like to know if i have a stock pulley or not. The second thing is that no matter what i do, say i drive 10 miles, stop and turn my car off. When i get back in the trip resets back to zero and i never know how many miles i can go on a tank or what not. Would that be a faulty ecu? or a faulty cluster? Also, i have a blown strut and cannot find anywhere on the forum of how to do it and wether its easy to do. Im guessinf that when they took my car apart to customize it they broke the piece that plugs into the electronic side mirror adjustment and it doesnt work, is it possible to replace that?

Im really sorry if this stuff has been asked, i've searched the forums and i cannot find most of this stuff. I use you guys alot when trying to figure out how to do stuff to my car and have finally signed up to ask these questions

Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stock boost is 10-11 pounds.

That's the only one i can help you with.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Pulley is on the pass side....what is obstructing the view, a OCC ?

Stock is 10 psi.

Never heard of the trip resetting itself after stop and restart....no wonder you were not sucessfull in locating a thread.....that is going to take some diagnostics and trial and error. Could try resetting the ECU, That there is a thread on.

Blown strut ? Only issue repalcing could be frozen / rusted bolts. If you are not equipped with the tools to handle that, any muffler shock shop can handle that. May have to have an alignment done afterwards.

What part of the side mirror control panel was broken extactly ? If it is just the switch panel, I would look for a used one and save a few bucks.

Wayland at www.Waymotorworks.com has a bunch of used stock MINI parts on hand. Give him a call and see what he has. Lots of stuff he sells is not listed on the web site.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Okay well its pushing 15-16 pounds so now i know i have a smaller pulley,thank you very much

Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Well raven here is the big big thing, the car has lambo's.( yes i know you guys hate them, i have read the thread) So the hinge kit they put on the car i believe is the wrong one, so they modified the hood hinges to where it doesnt fully open. Yes i know very very stupid, but the lmabos fit with how the car is done. I am waiting for stock door and hood hinges to come because i am doing away with the lambos for the whole hood not opening reason. Then again even if i could see it im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to tell if its aftermarket.

The backside where the plug would plug into the face is broken, the face itself is fine. But they cut the plug and tried to wire it themselves, so i would need a new plug. I mean none of this stuff needs to be done, just wish i could get it functional.

I have also reset the ECU and the problem still occurs, like the mirror thing, just wish it was functional

Last edited by customcoops; 06-20-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess would include the mirror wire being damaged during Lamoization. We all want to see photos of everything.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
okay well here is my car at the audio jamz car show in which it took second, the rims will be changed and as previously said the lambos will be coming off. After this summer there will be more fiberglass done to the inside, i can put up many many more pics if you guys want to see more

Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice color!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Originally Posted by plasticknives
Nice color!
Thanks! I didnt pick it though, i bought the car the exact way it is. I have done some minor things here and there. A new pioneer flip-out head unit, a boost guage, and had the front pillars changed from red swuede to black.(For the reason of the new guage being molded to the piller)

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Also, once i get my hood to open correctly i plan on doing major motor work,my goal is to get at least 300 to the wheels.(Hopefully without the nitrous) The thing is i dont know of any place in my area i could trust to tune my mini. I live in Delaware, does anyone know of a place semi close that does really good tuning?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a gallery feature where you can download a bunch of images in your signature. When you have time add as many as you can fit.

That is not your average mini for sure. Looks like fun. I don't know if I would take the lambo doors off. It may be better to find a work around for the hood and just go for broke.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
customcoops
1st Gear
Well HRM after getting my side panels off and seeing the door hinges and the hood hinges, it stayed like this for about a week in my boys shop as we cut and welded different brackets to try and make it work. The conclusion, buy a new $2,000 hinge kit or get stock hinges. Im guessing you can tell which we went with. =D