Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Ian Cull's Auto Up Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM
wedge07
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ian Cull's Auto Up Circuit

Since I can't seem to get my grubby little hands on one of these I contacted Ian for some help. He sent me to his old info (https://margaretandian.com/autoupdiy/) on the version 4 system.

Does anyone know anything about versions 5-7?

Are any enterprising individuals willing to get a batch put together (group buy)?

I've done my best to research on NAM and a couple of other websites but I haven't seen anything "new" since 2015 (other than a guy who parted out his Mini parts and I missed the boat.)

I've tried researching the MCAW but it seems it never made it past the initial batch of 1000 and has been abandoned.

Last edited by wedge07; 08-01-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Page Refresh Problem
Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM
astroblackr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in process of building one of these for myself, I did order enough boards/components to make 10 of them. Additionally I updated the design some to work with more modern components.

The following users liked this post:
lil giant (08-19-2018)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by astroblackr53
I am in process of building one of these for myself, I did order enough boards/components to make 10 of them. Additionally I updated the design some to work with more modern components.
I don't intend to minimize your effort. I have spent some time in the pursue of righting the Mini's functions that had suffered or bastardized from the MINI North America corporate liability lawyers. The passenger side auto up, and permanently disable ASC or change to opt-in are the two last on my list that I have yet to achieve. I prefer to achieve it via firmware coding means.

From what I infer the passenger side auto up no-go is likely dependent on the build year range and I happened to be unlucky with my first batch of 05 "facelift" R53. mega72 seems to suggest that updating the firmware may work for me but I am reluctant as well as afraid of breaking other hard earned options.

As to the ASC, which can equally be changed via H/W hack, I am also reluctant to pursue if there is a coding solution. While I could disable ASC via coding to inactive with NCS Expert in the BC1 module, I infer in doing so I might actually switched it on full time. However I still have doubt with my inference.

So what is the point of my post? If you just want the auto-up features, have you try to achieve via coding means? Solving it via hardware means is a PITA as it requires disassembling the center console and splice into the toggle switch harness.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 08-04-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarifying sentences
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM
astroblackr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Totally hear what you are saying, I have auto up working on my 06, I haven’t been able to test on other years yet, so YMMV. As for install I have made it rather easy, it just plugs inline with the toggle switch panel and the cord, no muss no fuss.

Definitely want to work out the kinks for DCS and Auto Fog, the dogs and windows were most important to me.

The following users liked this post:
lil giant (08-19-2018)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM
wedge07
2nd Gear
Astro... I would like to "reserve" a module. Would that be possible?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by astroblackr53
Totally hear what you are saying, I have auto up working on my 06, I haven’t been able to test on other years yet, so YMMV. As for install I have made it rather easy, it just plugs inline with the toggle switch panel and the cord, no muss no fuss.

Definitely want to work out the kinks for DCS and Auto Fog, the dogs and windows were most important to me.
I have a 06, Can you put me on your list for the "AUTO-UP" when you get them ready please, thanx.....

Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, over the years, I have had two auto up kits installed. They don't use legit connectors (at least the ones I have didn't) and I almost broke a pin off of my switch module attempting to get the auto up kit correctly seated on the pins. After a few years of service, they eventually died. As a result, I'm now siding with pnwR53S on this one. Go with the programming approach.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 PM
wedge07
2nd Gear
I don’t have that option. 2003 R53. ��

Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 PM
lil giant
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Astro... I, too, would like to "reserve" a module. Would that be possible? pleeeeeeeeease.... Thank you in advance!!