Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Remote Control Auto Window Up Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 AM
cpraser
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Control Auto Window Up Module

Has anyone installed this item in there car yet? I saw it on Out Motoring. Seems to be a new item. I was wondering how it works and how and where does the unit installed.

Anyone?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Also interested.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
It looks like the KPTech unit. If so, I've had one for a while, uninstalled. Why? Because it involves some very hairy splicing and soldering into a wiring harness deep inside your dash that is hard to get to, and even harder to pick the right wires out of the bunch of 50 or so.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
azminied
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Window up

I just Installed this on Saturday. This is a really COOL feature. You hop out of the car with windows and roof wide open and while walking away hit the key fob "unlock" then immediately the "lock". The car locks then both windows and the sunroof magically start to close. VERY COOL.

Installation is really NOT a big deal. There are five wires plus ground.
1 Always on Power
1 Ignition on (only) power
3 Control wires from the drivers door window motor.
Ground.

It took me 2 hours. This is a realistic time for a total novice (sore subject...Somebody quoted me 20 min install for Alta Air intake....what a load of CRAP....3 hours later it was in).

I did not soldier my connections but will be in the next couple of days

A couple of notes:
- I did not want to cut into the ignition wires, so I figured out I could insert the modules leads into the Ignition connector under the steering column. This works great!!! I will be simply dropping a bead of soldiering on these connections. This is all reversible without any damage to these wires.

-There is no way around cutting the window motor control wires.
One issue came up when doing this --- The instructions state to connect to the BLUE/RED wire going to the drivers door. Well..... wouldn't you know it...... there are two wires which are BLUE with a RED stripe. One is a larger gauge than the other..... and well...Murphy still rules .... MAKE SURE YOU CUT THE SMALLER GAUGE BLUE/RED WIRE. (the larger gauge runs the mirror as i discovered).

This is an AWESOME upgrade. Really love it.

-Ed Jones (azminied)

The following users liked this post:
lil giant (08-19-2018)
Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 AM
minimissaghi
Neutral
Auto UP

ED Jones
Where did you pick up this item???????????????? Do need one for my 03MCS! A little help please! Many thanks. B.J.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
conehead
3rd Gear
Isnt there a card out ther that can provide this featuer as well as auto off DSC ? I thought there was some info posted awhile back. It does sound like a winner tho.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
DuncanDad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimissaghi
ED Jones
Where did you pick up this item???????????????? Do need one for my 03MCS! A little help please! Many thanks. B.J.
Out Motoring has it for 6+0.00 or so shipped. I just ordered one.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimissaghi
ED Jones
Outmotoring:

http://outmotoring.com/remote_contro...up_module.html

The one mentioned in the other post is not controlled by the remote. This is a spinoff of Ian's MCAW module. pretty cool device

Old 12-15-2005, 12:36 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by conehead
Isnt there a card out ther that can provide this featuer as well as auto off DSC ? I thought there was some info posted awhile back. It does sound like a winner tho.
This is the new one from MI http://www.mcaw.info/

Old 12-16-2005, 11:16 AM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheWrks
This is the new one from MI http://www.mcaw.info/
Nope, that is a different circuit. That one is the parallel to Ian's. It allows you to one touch up your window from the window up switch INSIDE YOUR CAR (It also has a few other cool features!!!).

The circuit I installed from Outmotoring allows you to lock and close window/sunroof from the key fob remote thingey (technical term), as you walk away.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
So has anyone found an online posting of the instrall instructions for this yet? Outmotoring should put it on their sites so people know what's involved before they buy. (And I could use a copy because I never got mini instructions, only ones for nissan...)

Old 12-17-2005, 02:31 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
So has anyone found an online posting of the instrall instructions for this yet? Outmotoring should put it on their sites so people know what's involved before they buy. (And I could use a copy because I never got mini instructions, only ones for nissan...)
Look at www.kptechnologies.com.

Or PM me and I can probably scan mine to PDF and email it (or fax it) to you.
-Ed Jones

Old 12-17-2005, 02:50 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by azminied
Outmotoring:

http://outmotoring.com/remote_contro...up_module.html

The one mentioned in the other post is not controlled by the remote. This is a spinoff of Ian's MCAW module. pretty cool device
The one Ian made was a "plug and play" unit. One of the ladies in our club installed mine for me while I watched. She reached up behind the switches and unpluged whatever pluged the in and then pluged in whatever she had unpluged. We checked with the remote control at certain points to make sure it was correct along the way. NO cutting and No splicing.

And she did it in about 10 minutes.

Check this out http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/install.shtml

Earl

Old 12-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
It looks like the KPTech unit. If so, I've had one for a while, uninstalled. Why? Because it involves some very hairy splicing and soldering into a wiring harness deep inside your dash that is hard to get to, and even harder to pick the right wires out of the bunch of 50 or so.
KPtechnologies Module // 02-present Mini Cooper
12 Volts (RED) // Red
Ground (BLACK) // Chassis
Ignition (YELLOW) // Green (Not needed on 02-3, recomended 04-present)
Lock Cylinder (GREEN) // Blue/Red (smaller of two blue/red wires coming from door)
Lock Actuator (BLUE) // Black
Unlock Actuator (ORANGE) // Blue

The module works by receiving an UNLOCK and then a LOCK command when the ignition of OFF. The module will close both the windows and the sunroof.

On 04-present it is recomended to switch the Lock Actuator wire with the Unlock actuator wire. With this change it will be required to press LOCK and then UNLOCK to raise the windows remotely. The module will automatically lock the doors and arm the security system (if applicable). This change is required because the Mini Cooper automatically unlocks the doors when the ignition is shut off, and then will NOT allow you to remotely unlock the doors again. If you choose NOT to switch the wiring you will need to press LOCK, UNLOCK, LOCK to get the windows to go up remotely.

The actuator wires and the key cylinder wire are all located in a wire bundle coming in from the drivers door. After finding the right colored wire gently tug on it a bit to free up the slack. It is NOT necesarry to cut any wire. You can strip the insulation back 1/4" and solder the module wiring without actually cutting the OEM wire. It is also possible to use scotchlocks (although not recomended due to long term reliability concerns). The ignition wire and 12vdc feed can be obtained directly from the steering column. It is possible to access the wiring without taking the steering column shroud off. A 3A fuse is included for the 12vdc feed. A self drilling screw is included to use with the ring connector crimped on to the ground wire. This screw should be inserted in to the aluminum lower under dash.

This module is manufactured by K Pierson Technologies (AKA KPtechnologies, KPtech), but is ONLY availible through www.Outmotoring.com (a sponsor of this site). It is not for sale anywhere else (its actually not even listed as a product on the KPtechnologies webpage, but there is a support area for it in the KPtech forums).

This module comes with the KPtechnologies no questions asked warranty. If it has our name on it (and is one of our products) and doesn't work we will fix it, or replace it. No questions asked.

An old version of the installation guide is availible online at www.KPtechnologies.com. I am currently working with Aaron from www.OutMotoring.com to add installation pictures for reference.
Jwardell, if you would like a printed version of the new Mini Cooper install guide please let me know. No changes have been made between your 'test' module and the modules that are being distributed now.

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 AM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 10851CS
The one Ian made was a "plug and play" unit. One of the ladies in our club installed mine for me while I watched. She reached up behind the switches and unpluged whatever pluged the in and then pluged in whatever she had unpluged. We checked with the remote control at certain points to make sure it was correct along the way. NO cutting and No splicing.

And she did it in about 10 minutes.

Check this out http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/install.shtml

Earl
Earl,
Once again....... The MCAW circuit by Ian and now others is a DIFFERENT functionality than this unit. Ian's MCAW module allows closure of window from INSIDE the vehicle with the ignition on and by hitting the window up switch. Very cool functionality, but different than what we are discussing here.

The module this thread is describing is for Closure of the windows and sunroof using the keyfob remote from OUTSIDE the vehicle with the ignition OFF. You just exit the vehicle and hit the buttons on your remote and the doors lock then the Windows and SR close while you are walking away.

-Ed (azminied)

Old 12-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Z-Mini
3rd Gear
Oops Ed - Slight correction for you.

Ian's circuit is the "MINI Circuit" and Kevin's circuit is the "MCAW". Both the MINI Circuit and the MCAW circuit do function exactly how you describe....from INSIDE the vehicle with the ignition on and by hitting the window up switch.

Just wanted to give credit to each.

Originally Posted by azminied
Earl,
Once again....... The MCAW circuit by Ian and now others is a DIFFERENT functionality than this unit. Ian's MCAW module allows closure of window from INSIDE the vehicle with the ignition on and by hitting the window up switch. Very cool functionality, but different than what we are discussing here.

The module this thread is describing is for Closure of the windows and sunroof using the keyfob remote from OUTSIDE the vehicle with the ignition OFF. You just exit the vehicle and hit the buttons on your remote and the doors lock then the Windows and SR close while you are walking away.

-Ed (azminied)

Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pierson
Jwardell, if you would like a printed version of the new Mini Cooper install guide please let me know. No changes have been made between your 'test' module and the modules that are being distributed now.
Thanks for the reply, Kevin. Glad you are back...I was disheartened when all our old testing and discussion had mysteriously disappeared from the forums.
It is still a hairy install IMO, and it doesn't help that I lost the instructions...I will wait for better ones (with photos I hope?) to appear that you are working on. I have to wait till the spring for things to warm up anyway, and will probably get a battery powered soldering iron as well. I've had nothing but problems with those scotchlock wire tappers. I still have the module, and it still stays on my "future projects" lists.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
Thanks for the welcome back, its been a while since I posted on a Mini forum. Unfortunately I was forced to sell my Mini when I started to build my house (we just moved in last Friday!)

Right before I sold the Mini I was in contact with Out Motoring about working out a deal, and things kept getting pushed back. I finally got the chance to meet with Aaron from Out Motoring and installed modules in his and a his friends Minis. They have been selling them ever since.

I, too, was disapointed that the threads regarding this product disapeared. KPtechnologies never technically sold ANY products for Minis, and we still technically don't. I personally don't see why any one would have a problem with threads discussing products in development.

Anyways, I do have a picture of one of the installs:

You can see all the connections. Note that the power connections can be made by fishing the ignition wires out from behind the shroud. These were solderd WITH the steering column shroud in place. Much easier then dropping it. The module itself is tucked up behind the wiring harness, and sits there fairly well. Like I said in a previous post, if you gently tug on the wires they'll loosen up enough to work with them.

Full size image: http://www.KPtechnologies.com/images...onnections.JPG

If you are looking for a portable soldering iron I would recomend a butane one. I picked up a butane soldering iron from www.PartsExpress.com and I love it. For about $50 you really can't beat it, and I prefer it to my corded iron whenever working on cars now.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:13 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
I just got the one from MCAW.info, it works like a champ!

I selected mode 4, which I click 2 times up with the drivers control and all the windows roll up and enabled DSC auto off. For $40 can go wrong!

I will say having smaller hands would make it a lot easier to install, but it isn't impossible.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 AM
DuncanDad
2nd Gear
Yea, will you come to GA and install mine?

Old 01-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Z-Mini
Oops Ed - Slight correction for you.

Ian's circuit is the "MINI Circuit" and Kevin's circuit is the "MCAW". Both the MINI Circuit and the MCAW circuit do function exactly how you describe....from INSIDE the vehicle with the ignition on and by hitting the window up switch.

Just wanted to give credit to each.
No Z, he is correct. This thread is NOT about the MINI Circuit or MCAW. Its about a REMOTELY POWERED AUTO UP product. Auto Up from the MINI Keyfob NOT from INSIDE the car.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 PM
danmcg
2nd Gear
Just installed this thing. Took me about an hour to do from start to finish. I didn't cut any of the wires at all, just used a knife and stripped back the insulation and then soldered everything in place. Works like a charm.

I don't quite understand the whole reversing wires thing for the 04-present cars though. My car doesn't automatically unlock when I turn off the ignition which is stated in the install instructions that it does. I wired it up exactly like the instructions said for a pre-04 MINI. I have to pull the handle twice to get out of the car when I stop. Once out, I close the door and press unlock and all the doors unlock on the car. Then press lock and about a second later all the windows roll up and the sunroof closes.

Flippin sweet. Especially now in South Florida since I get to drive with the windows down all the time!

Old 01-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
On our 2004 test car if both doors were unlocked then you could not remotely unlock the doors. Since, on the test car, the doors automatically unlocked upon turning the car off it was necesarry to remotely 'LOCK', 'UNLOCK', and then 'LOCK' again with the normal wiring. If you reverse the two wires as stated you can just hit the 'LOCK' and 'UNLOCK' buttons on the remote to raise the windows. Glad to hear you like it, Flordians seem to be our #1 customers, as its always nice, and tends to rain frequently down there.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 AM
danmcg
2nd Gear
Even with both doors unlocked the boot is still locked upon exit of the car. I always have to hit the unlock button to unlock the boot when I get out of the car... Perhaps this is a programable thing at the dealer to have your doors automatically unlock when you turn the ignition off?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
Its possible that it is a programmable option, I just figured that Mini had upgraded the door locking system, since the door locking system on my 2002 Mini was the absolute worst locking system I've ever seen in a car. Its the only car I've ever been in that the door locks would quit working if you locked them more then 5 times in 60 seconds...

Quick Reply: Electrical Remote Control Auto Window Up Module