Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll send a pic shortly. They are such morons. LKQ Topeka.. And they were no help once I told them they sent me the wrong part. Never again. I mean I even gave them my exact part number and they cross referenced it. How the hell could anyone confuse a FRM for what they sent?
I ordered the part from Jim today, it's coming Monday. :(

Last edited by Alexr54; 07-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
They sent me this:

Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Jim said he will ship it out tomorrow morning. I hope I get it fast since its in Florida. Its about a 4 hour drive from where I live, each way.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Its the kick panel fuse box. Wow just WOW!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:58 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Call your bank and tell them you never approved the transaction.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
I will if they don't give me the refund they said they would. At this point i am just so frustrated i cant update the software or do anything because of this FRM. I was hyped for today and its a total let down.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:04 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Me too man...but patience is good

Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
One piece of good news is that I did replace the cam position sensors. Took a whole 5 minutes.
And since then the CEL did not turn back on. Its only been a day, but usually it would have turned off and on by now.
Still "patiently" waiting for the FRM.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
So I got the FRM in the mail just now. That was some fast shipping!! Jims auto salvage wins for sure.
Let me know when you have some time

I installed the replacement and almost everything works.
Lights are good and blinkers work.
One thing I noticed is my windows don't auto close like they used to. That's about it for now. But right away things started working, with no programming.
You got my number friend. Call or text me anytime.

Last edited by Alexr54; 07-15-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. Been researching my issues and it seems it all points to the FRM for me also.

It all started with a Dead Battery. We replaced the battery and got the problems with interior lights not working. This seems to be the only issues we have. Buying a new FRM really is not cost effective. So my questions are this:

1. Can the FRM I already have in the car just be reprogrammed?
2. Is there anyone that can do that.

This should be a Covered Fix from mini since I see so many people having the same issue after a battery replacement.
The weird thing is this. If I unplug the battery and plug it back up everything works again. But after about 5min the Dome light stops working and after about a day or so the mood lighting starts blinking funny colors and stuff.

I have programmed the new battery to the car also.

Any help would be appreciated.

The car is a 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe

Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I think until it becomes something similar to the timing chain issue, this wont make it to court. If you connect INPA and dont see the FRM, then it is dead. However, since your lights are working in the first 5 minutes, try to use that window of time to reprogram it.
If unable to connect to the FRM, you can buy any FRM and program it to your car using Winkfp and NCS. It worked for HaveATank when we did his. Alexr54 had an R60 but we were able to program it without his VIN. For whatever reason WinKfp couldn't match the parts! If you need more help PM me

Old 07-22-2016, 05:38 AM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I think until it becomes something similar to the timing chain issue, this wont make it to court. If you connect INPA and dont see the FRM, then it is dead. However, since your lights are working in the first 5 minutes, try to use that window of time to reprogram it.
If unable to connect to the FRM, you can buy any FRM and program it to your car using Winkfp and NCS. It worked for HaveATank when we did his. Alexr54 had an R60 but we were able to program it without his VIN. For whatever reason WinKfp couldn't match the parts! If you need more help PM me
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check to see if I can connect to the FRM.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
What you describe is not exactly what I and others have experienced with a bad FRM. From what I understand, when a FRM goes bad it wont be intermittent. It will just be bad and things will stop working and wont start again until you replace it and reprogram the replacement.

What it sounds like to me is you possibly have a loose battery connection or maybe even a bad battery. Check the easiest and most inexpensive solutions first, then work your way up.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It is also possible. Electronics are tricky. there must be a procedure to when you connect the battery, you but a capacitor to absorb the initial shock.
Let's see what Mad TKD returns with!

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Ok. I can connect to the FRM with the carly. I am now waiting for carly to create a backup of the FRM. This takes forever..................

I also unplugged the FRM and battery and plugged them both back in. The results were the same as before. Everything works fine but after I start the car the dome light will not come back on.

All codes are cleared and the codes that do pop up don't have anything to do with the FRM. ( I am getting a reoccurring TPMS code)

The coding options I have are :

CAS-Locking(Car Access System)
KOMBI-Dashboard(Instrument cluster)
FRM-Light and mirrors(Footwell Module)
SPEG-Windscreen wipers and engine start stop(smart power electronics gateway)

As soon as the back up is done I will report back

Old 07-22-2016, 12:11 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
it would be helpful if you attach photos. also, other than carly, do you have a computer based programming tools? K+Dcan cable?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alexr54
What you describe is not exactly what I and others have experienced with a bad FRM. From what I understand, when a FRM goes bad it wont be intermittent. It will just be bad and things will stop working and wont start again until you replace it and reprogram the replacement.

What it sounds like to me is you possibly have a loose battery connection or maybe even a bad battery. Check the easiest and most inexpensive solutions first, then work your way up.
Alex

All this started with a dead battery and car not starting. We replaced the battery twice(First replacement had a bad cell) and now have the correct battery in the car and have the battery programmed to the car.

All connections are fine and tight. Believe me I wish it were the easy things

Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
it would be helpful if you attach photos. also, other than carly, do you have a computer based programming tools? K+Dcan cable?
No I don't have cpu based tools. Just the carly for right now. Will try to get some pics up later tonight

Old 07-22-2016, 12:25 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
the only issue you have now is the dome lights? your windows are fine? your headlight are ok too (you can tun them on/off)?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
the only issue you have now is the dome lights? your windows are fine? your headlight are ok too (you can tun them on/off)?
Yes just the dome light now. But after a few days from reset the mood lighting will also either stop working or flash thru all the colors.

The dealer did swap a working dome light which didn't work also

Old 07-22-2016, 01:03 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Good news...your FRM isnt bad...it might just reset that option.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Good news...your FRM isnt bad...it might just reset that option.
Well everyone tell me what you think.

Finally got the carly to connect to the FRM. After looking at all the options to change I decided to change a few things in the FRM. I honestly forgot what I picked to change. But anyway after picking the options I wanted to change I hit the code button and waited..................After about 1 min I get a error saying that Carly has found severe faults in your FRM and has therefore NOT coded your FRM.

Of course I have the option to code it anyway but choose not to Because it warns it could cause even more damage.

So what are my next options? I still don't have any codes popping up. All lights are working again except the dome light. I know it will be just a matter of time before some other issues come up with it.

Honestly I am about to say screw it and just drive it. Its just a dome light.............

HELP!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:09 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Alex happy everything worked out. It seems like any firm will work as long as it the right generation. Did your windows ever start worming the right way?

Mad i dont know what to tell you. This is going to be a stupid question suggestion. Have you tried and replace the bulb yet?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM
BluDuk
Neutral
After several rainstorms over the last couple weeks, began getting strange warning lamps on my 2007 Copper that incorrectly indicated lamp failures. Also had rear lights come on all the time, and right side headlights and rear lights coming on. Found this thread and looked for water ingress and FRM problems.

To my surprise I found the driver's side carpet soaked. Am still searching for the water leak but was able to confirm that the sun roof drains seem to be draining properly. I did blow them out with canned air before checking for water drains.

In the meantime, I pulled up the carpet and found several cups of water in the wire channel along the bottom of the driver's side door. After sucking up all the water, I disconnected and checked the FRM. Found water in the small connector. Found surface corrosion around the pins of several ICs and scattered throughout the board. At this point, I determined I had nothing to loose by trying to clean it up and drying it out to see if I could restore it's functionality.

I used a small amount of Fantastic and warm water and used a toothbrush to gently scrub away all the corrosion I could find. Fortunately, the corrosion appeared to be surface corrosion and did not damage or eat away any circuit board traces. Also, I did not find any damaged or burned IC components. I rinsed the board very well with warm water and blew it dry with a cool blow dryer. I used canned air to dry connectors and blow water from underneath all the ICs.

I reinstalled the FRM and started the car to reset the card. Success. All of the warning lamps cleared and all light functions appear to be working correctly. I did go back and installed the card inside of a zip lock bag to help direct water away from the card in the event water leaks reoccur. I will be monitoring for water leaks more rigorously in the next few weeks.

For now, everything is back to normal and I was able to avoid a several hundreds dollar repair visit to the dealer. Thank you everyone for your feedback on the thread because it was the only way I would have been successful in troubleshooting these crazy light problems.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 AM
Tim McCreary
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does ANYONE have a pinout diagram for the connectors for the footwell module?? Specifically x14260 and x14261?

I know someone has the list.

I have a 2009 Clubman with a Driver's backup light and high mount brake light not working and I need to troubleshoot to see if it is the FRM or a broken wire going to the lights.

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! trying to get this car inspected and cannot until the lights work.

Thanks,
Tim

PS no water damage, no sunroof.

Last edited by Tim McCreary; 10-14-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: more information

Quick Reply: Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?