Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Looking for switched power for dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for switched power for dashcam

Hi all

I'm trying to hard-wire a dash cam into my 2005 convertible.
I'm mounting the camera next to the sun visor.

Is there ignition-switched power inside the map light/convertible button assembly? That would be super convenient.

Alternately, I'll run the wire inside the A pillar plastic, down the driver or passenger side, into the dash... Where would the best destination for switched power be?

Lastly, what are the slits in my map light assembly for? I don't have the auto A/C unit, would they be sensors for that? Can i cover them with the dash cam?

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Looking for switched power for dashcam-car.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The slits are meant to be used by an OEM bluetooth microphone (hidden behind the slits). I believe that rectangular piece just pops out.

If you have an auto-dim or Homelink mirror, or auto headlight/wipers, there is definitely switched power in that console unit. I'd have to look at wiring diagrams at home for a specific line.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
My model year was pre-bluetooth. Perhaps they planned ahead.... If there's nothing behind it, then I'll cover it with my cam.

I don't have a fancy mirror or auto wipers or headlights. Do you think they still ran a cable harness with switched power up there?

I have the bentley manual, but i've found it to be lacking in useful wiring information. I hadn't even thought to consult it for this info.

Do you think there's enough room in that panel for a small 12v-5v power supply for the cam?

thanks!

Originally Posted by rkw
The slits are meant to be used by an OEM bluetooth microphone (hidden behind the slits). I believe that rectangular piece just pops out.

If you have an auto-dim or Homelink mirror, or auto headlight/wipers, there is definitely switched power in that console unit. I'd have to look at wiring diagrams at home for a specific line.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pop the stock light housing out and you'll see that there's some room up there. You could likely squeeze in power adapter but you might need to take it out of it's stock housing. (I'm presuming it'd be one of those things that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.)

And if there's no switched power up there, you could likely run it up the A pillar and across the front to the center under the plastic trim.

A good wiring schematic should be able to tell you whether or not there's switched power up there or not. I'm betting there is and I'd bet that the power that goes to the antenna is switched. You could easily tap off of that as a power supply for a camera isn't going to draw much.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Yeah, it's a cig lighter adapter that i'm going to gut and probably wrap up in heat shrink tubing to insulate.

Why would there be power going to the antenna? Moreover, wouldn't it be controlled by the radio then?

thanks!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The antenna, at least on the cab, is powered. An amplifier, I believe. So, it would likely be a switched circuit as i can't believe it would be on all the time. However, you bring up a good point in that it might be tied to the stereo and then be off when the stereo is off. You'd have to test it.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Since the radio can be on with the car completely off... I don't think that'll do.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagrams and didn't see anything up there directly switched through the ignition switch. There is wiring coming from control modules (e.g. body control module, convertible roof module) that might be effectively switched power, but those modules are black boxes and wiring diagrams don't show whether they are switched. If you probe around with a meter, you might very well find a switched power line.

Or you can use an Add-A-Circuit to tap off of a switched fuse: F6, F7, F9, F10, F11, F13, F29, F35, F36, F39, F40
My post from a while back: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2979718

Originally Posted by ericscottf
My model year was pre-bluetooth. Perhaps they planned ahead.... If there's nothing behind it, then I'll cover it with my cam.
There actually was an OEM Bluetooth for 1st gen models -- that's why there are phone buttons on the steering wheel. However, it was something like $2000 and almost nobody has it. There is nothing behind the slots.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Best bet to not have any conflict or problems is to run the wire accross & down the pillar to the fuse box, my 05 has a fuse for accessories 40 or 41 I think, but any switched/ignition on, fuse will do.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
I don't have steering wheel phone buttons, only radio and cruise control. It's also an R52, not a 50.

I picked up an add-a-circuit and i'll just run the wire behind the A-pillar into the area behind the steering wheel. This way, when the cheap power converter dies, i'll have an easy time replacing it.

thanks!

Originally Posted by rkw
I looked at the wiring diagrams and didn't see anything up there directly switched through the ignition switch. There is wiring coming from control modules (e.g. body control module, convertible roof module) that might be effectively switched power, but those modules are black boxes and wiring diagrams don't show whether they are switched. If you probe around with a meter, you might very well find a switched power line.

Or you can use an Add-A-Circuit to tap off of a switched fuse: F6, F7, F9, F10, F11, F13, F29, F35, F36, F39, F40
My post from a while back: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2979718

There actually was an OEM Bluetooth for 1st gen models -- that's why there are phone buttons on the steering wheel. However, it was something like $2000 and almost nobody has it. There is nothing behind the slots.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Assuming i don't want to use an add-a-circuit, where, under the steering-wheel area would i grab a wire coming off the accessory fuse(s)?

Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Best bet to not have any conflict or problems is to run the wire accross & down the pillar to the fuse box, my 05 has a fuse for accessories 40 or 41 I think, but any switched/ignition on, fuse will do.