Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 spare key question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
mini cro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 spare key question

Hi..

when i bought my mini i got only one key with it.. the previous owner had no idea where the second one was.. anyway, since the key housing started to fall apart i lost all the buttons, but eventually digged inside to push the buttons.
I ordered a new key housing and transplanted the crucial bits like the immobiliser chip and the circuit board. IT works fine. The problem is with the second key which i copied today. IT ddoes not have buttons, but its also a key with a code. I didnt copy it in the dealership, but instead i made a copy in a local key copy store. The grooves in the key are the same, and the lady said she copied the code.. when i came home, i was able to open the car with the copied key, and then i placed it in the key slot. First turn everything normal, second turn everything lights up, the fuel pump works, measuring of fuel and heat works, my radio starts up, but im not able to crank it.. whats the problem? any idea to solve this without visiting the dealership? i dont feel like paying anything to them since i already gave approx. 65$...
Ive been searching the forum for similar issues and all that i found is that people are talking about a second key programming but using the unlock and lock button, which i dont have on the second key (the copied one). Is there something i could actually do to make it work? thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mini cro
The problem is with the second key which i copied today.
Where did this key come from? Does it have an immobilizer chip?

The lock/unlock functions are separate from ability to start the car. To start the car, the key must have an immobilizer chip matched to your car. It can only be programmed by the dealer or new key purchased from BMW/MINI.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the immobilizer out of the good key and put it in the new key see if it will start.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The imoblizer needs to be moved....
You have ONE imoblizer chip...so you have one key that works...
if you want a second, the new key, with its imoblizer will need a trip to the dealer to get new key paired with the computer....wish it was simpler, but its not.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Remember the keys have 2 or 3 functions/parts...
The blade....can be copied, you gound that out, so you can open the doors...
the keyless entry chip...if it is a keyless entry key...can be paired to the cars keyless enrty ok.
the imoblizer chip....it is just "read" by the cars computer...
Needs to be paied/programmed.
You can hold the working key right next to the new key, turn on the car to test it....then try the same thing with the key further away.
the issue with ebay, etc keys are they ate usually a waste of money, cause they normaly fail tye pairing....
So basicly you have a $65 key to open the door, but if you want a key to start the car, buy a dealer key. If you try to pay a dealer to pair your key, and it fails, you are out the $$, most will pair multiple keys at one time for the same $$.
so imo, order a dealer key, then bring BOTH your keys, and you MIGHT get lucky, and it will pair, and you will have 3 keys, or at worst, 2 working keys, and a door opener key if you lock your keys in the car....

Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Now if you wanted to disable the imbolizer....
All the info is here...actually more of a workaround....
just take the key with the imoblizer chip, and remove the chip, and secure it very close to the starter switch....some remote start kits do this. Then any key, cut to fit will start the car. Also easy to steal too....

Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
How about some pictures of the keys you have? Who did you pay $65 to if not the dealer? That's about what a "non-remote" key, cut and with an immobilizer chip in it, costs at a dealer. They have to order it from MINI and you have to show them proof of ownership. I'm very curious as to what kind of key you can get cut at a key place.

I'm afraid that if you shelled out good money at a key cutting place- even one that can cut the blade so it opens your door- you might have paid for something you are not getting because I don't believe that the immobilizer chip can come from any place but MINI.

I also have not had any luck just holding the chip next to the starter switch, but I only tried it once and was in a hurry at the time.

Here's a thread about how I repaired my key and another one for a NAM member. Maybe there is some information in there that might be useful to you.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3594488

Val

Last edited by valvashon; 09-22-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added URL
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 AM
mini cro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Where did this key come from? Does it have an immobilizer chip?

The lock/unlock functions are separate from ability to start the car. To start the car, the key must have an immobilizer chip matched to your car. It can only be programmed by the dealer or new key purchased from BMW/MINI.

It came from a key shop that has licence from all dealers that they can copy keys.
i know that the remote lock/unlock functions are separate, but they are also related to the immobilizer.
anyway, the key does have the immobilizer chip..

Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
Take the immobilizer out of the good key and put it in the new key see if it will start.
actually, it did cross my mind to do such a thing, but the chip size and shape do not match the MINI original..

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The imoblizer needs to be moved....
You have ONE imoblizer chip...so you have one key that works...
if you want a second, the new key, with its imoblizer will need a trip to the dealer to get new key paired with the computer....wish it was simpler, but its not.
hmm.. on my previous MINI, i had 3 keys, actually two and the small wallet plastic one. The first one was with remote functions and it had an immobilizer chip, the second one, without the remote function also had one... i know that for sure cause when i installed an aftermarket alarm system with the distance start-up (i could turn the engine on even when i was 1km away), the guy had to remove the immobilizer chip from the spare key and put it near the key slot..
Its not that i want to disable the immobilizer, its just i had no spare key. and going around with only one key could be more expensive than getting a new key as a spare one, if i were to lose one ofcourse.
I will go to the dealer..i have no other options left lol..
i heard that you can program up to 3 keys.. one is the "master" key and the rest i dont know.. lol but i heard that.. dont know if its true...
the key does look like some china or ebay cra* but its supposed to work.. but first ill have a visit to the key store and sort some things first :D like getting my money back cause the key isnt working as it should work.

Originally Posted by valvashon
How about some pictures of the keys you have? Who did you pay $65 to if not the dealer? That's about what a "non-remote" key, cut and with an immobilizer chip in it, costs at a dealer. They have to order it from MINI and you have to show them proof of ownership. I'm very curious as to what kind of key you can get cut at a key place.

I'm afraid that if you shelled out good money at a key cutting place- even one that can cut the blade so it opens your door- you might have paid for something you are not getting because I don't believe that the immobilizer chip can come from any place but MINI.

I also have not had any luck just holding the chip next to the starter switch, but I only tried it once and was in a hurry at the time.

Here's a thread about how I repaired my key and another one for a NAM member. Maybe there is some information in there that might be useful to you.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ml#post3594488

Val
The casing that i ordered for the original key with the remote functions works like a charm, no issues like the ones you mentioned in the last post of your topic. however, i did see your thread and thats how i got my key working so thanks on that :d
as for the pictures, ill post some when i come back home, im in the office and dont have the keys here.
I paid that money to a local key store who is authorized by many dealers here in Rijeka, Croatia. They can cut and code keys for BMW, MINI, Audi, Opel/Vauxhall, Citoren, Renault... i will post a picture of the keys for sure.
Heres what i know about the different immobilizer chips. Its not the issue with whose immobilizer it is (audi, renault etc) as long as its coded the same as the source key. The store has their non coded keys, the casings are their own and do not have the logo or anything related to the car brand. They copied my original key, but after some measuring (length, width, thickness). Then she put it in a device that looks like a small typewritter, but it doesnt have keys or whatever, pushed some buttons and voila.. the immobilizer code is copied.
The thing that bothers me the most is that when i insert the copied key in the slot, i can turn it (cause its copied, i know) but i still think that if the code wasnt ok, then i wouldnt be able to turn it all the way. I wouldnt be getting the lights on, fuel pump wouldnt work.. ?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mini cro
The thing that bothers me the most is that when i insert the copied key in the slot, i can turn it (cause its copied, i know) but i still think that if the code wasnt ok, then i wouldnt be able to turn it all the way.
Turning the key is a function of the passive mechanical lock and would work as long as the cut is correct. It wouldn't be affected by the immobilizer chip. From what I can see in the electrical diagrams, the immobilizer module is connected to the starter motor but not to other electronics like the dash lights, so I think turning the key will activate those functions but not the starter motor because the immobilizer is not accepting the key's code.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Turning the key is a function of the passive mechanical lock and would work as long as the cut is correct. It wouldn't be affected by the immobilizer chip. From what I can see in the electrical diagrams, the immobilizer module is connected to the starter motor but not to other electronics like the dash lights, so I think turning the key will activate those functions but not the starter motor because the immobilizer is not accepting the key's code.
My understanding....
Interesting that the shop is cloneing imoblizer chips....maybe give them a second try, but it is kinda tge reverse of oem where a key code is entered into the mini computer for a key...or more approprately read by the car and learned...
if you do go to the dealer, it will invalidate the imoblizer chips on the lost keys....a prior owner can still open the doors, but not start the car.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I just did a little experiment. I took the non-remote key for my wife's '03 R50 apart and tried to start the car with the blade half, leaving the chipped half in my back pocket. No start. When I brought the chipped half to the ignition lock (with the door open) the car chimed at me, and then I was able to start the car.

So get in your car, leave the drivers door open and put the key in the ignition. If you hear a chime, the car recognizes the chip and all is well. If you hear no chime the car will not start.

So, no, with no or an incorrect chip the car will not start but the ignition lock will turn and all the appropriate dash lights will come on.

Val