Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:40 AM
pmanliu
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hi all,

i just bought this cable off amazon to use on a 2006 R53. Can someone confirm if i would need to bridge two pins, and if so, would it be pins 7 and 8?

Amazon Amazon

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by pmanliu
hi all,

i just bought this cable off amazon to use on a 2006 R53. Can someone confirm if i would need to bridge two pins, and if so, would it be pins 7 and 8?

https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-INPA-D...W+INPA+K%2BCAN

Thanks in advance!
yes

Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Is there a cable out there that just works and requires no modification? What about Bluetooth versions?

Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by RedAggie03
Is there a cable out there that just works and requires no modification?
You bet! I will sell you mine for $50 shipped. Money can buy anything, just about.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:10 AM
astroblackr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been playing around with coding changes in NCS, however I seem to be hitting some issues where certain parameters don't seem to update 'KALTUEBERWACHUNG_IB2' is specifically one of them. I have used both NCS Dummy and regular ol Notepad to change this to 'nicht_aktiv' however it never wants to change.

I am using this in Windows XP, my BC1 module is *.c07 and many other parameters have updated just fine.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Looks like I figured out the problem, I was following the NCS Expert walk through and it mentioned leaving the `CODIERDATEN_LESEN` job selected, which worked for most values, however upon reading the NCS Dummy guide which mentions to use that job for reading only and `SG_CODIEREN` for writing.

Now I have all my top features working sans passenger side auto-up. It looks like this is do to the lack of `WINDOW_PINCH_ENABLE_PASS` within my *.c07 BC1 file. Has anyone attempted to disassemble the daten file and manually add this value in?

Old 02-10-2018, 05:21 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I just got some of the programming done that the dealer forgot to do the last time I was there, and a local shop want $160 for!

front and rear fog enable,
Komfort window up and down from fob
Visual indication of doors lock when all doors are closed
Door lock at a certain speed
Doors unlock when engine off
One touch up drivers window

Had a lot of issues as I could not get Gtecko ncs expert (version 3) to run on windows 10. Found a bmw forum with a package that NCS expert 4 that worked.

If any one has figured a work around for the one touch up for the passenger side on an 05 mcs, please share

Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 PM
pnwR53S
Good to hear another success. I wish I can do same with the Porsche. This alone worths the admission for the Mini. I use the comfort window open and close all the time in the summer. The remaining setting I cannot get working, like many others, is the passenger side one touch auto up. I don't think it has anything to do with the pinch sensor. It is most likely just MINI USA corporate's **** legal decision, and is just hard coded out.

It will be really nice to change the ASC to opt in instead of opt out without messing via h/w.

My Mini so far has been unmolested by the dealer. Love the programmable Mini.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:35 AM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pnwR53S, you seem to have messed with NCSExpert quite a lot. I have been contemplating ABS/TCS defeat. Have you messed with any of the impulse rates?

Has anyone messed with turning off ASC/DSC like in a base R50? This would be nice for autocross. I am not sure how "off" everything really is on the base R50 but less is more in this case.

I have many things coded on my car currently:
Disabled NAS fog lights
enabled Komfort everything except pass auto-up (2006 MCS)
disabled passenger airbag seat mat sensor (re-enabled after recall)
disabled most hot/cold light checks (still fighting the license plate lights)
disabled speed offset (only figured out digital analog still reads high)
other stuff I can't remember.

Want to:
disable nav warning screen
disable hot/cold monitoring of license plate bulbs (just doesn't seem to want to take)
disable ACS/DSC (save files to switch back and forth for autocross weekends)
figure out the problem with pass auto-up eventually (try making it think it is right hand drive to see if the "passenger" window will auto-up? window regulator part number reference with euro spec cars?)
enable double flash emergency lights
disable any other NAS BS that the rest of the world gets to have.

Lots of fun!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:31 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
that would be terrible for autocross you'll flat spot expensive tires and your braking zones will increase

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by ksminiman
pnwR53S, you seem to have messed with NCSExpert quite a lot. I have been contemplating ABS/TCS defeat. Have you messed with any of the impulse rates?

Has anyone messed with turning off ASC/DSC like in a base R50? This would be nice for autocross. I am not sure how "off" everything really is on the base R50 but less is more in this case.

I have many things coded on my car currently:
Disabled NAS fog lights
enabled Komfort everything except pass auto-up (2006 MCS)
disabled passenger airbag seat mat sensor (re-enabled after recall)
disabled most hot/cold light checks (still fighting the license plate lights)
disabled speed offset (only figured out digital analog still reads high)
other stuff I can't remember.

Want to:
disable nav warning screen
disable hot/cold monitoring of license plate bulbs (just doesn't seem to want to take)
disable ACS/DSC (save files to switch back and forth for autocross weekends)
figure out the problem with pass auto-up eventually (try making it think it is right hand drive to see if the "passenger" window will auto-up? window regulator part number reference with euro spec cars?)
enable double flash emergency lights
disable any other NAS BS that the rest of the world gets to have.

Lots of fun!
I did find the ASC toggle. When set to inaktiv, I am sure it actually enable ASC all the time. I have little doubt DSC is the same crap. It is NAS in which corporate lawyers dictate what is safe for liability settlements.

You should be able to change the emergency flash to double flash. Make so much more sense as you can discern it from a turn signal from far away. There is a very good thread on the Porsche forum about HPDE in which European countries let you keep the windows closed, unlike here in NA you are not allowed as "it is deemed unsafe". In Europe point by and passing is done by turn signals, so it makes too much sense.

You are the second 06 MCS that I know of cannot enable one touch up passenger side window. 05 is the same. Pre-05 reportedly is hit and miss.

Oh, we get the high aspect ratio license plates and most states embellish the plates with the worst graphic, incoherent fonts, and pointless slogans. The European low AR makes so much more sense without screws up the air flow into the radiator grill. That is one main reason I will never pay for vanity plate, so not to reward bad behaviour.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 03-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:01 PM
pnwR53S
glass up vs glass down for HPDE

Here is one thread on Rennlist.

And here is the running votes on the 991 GT3 sub-forum.

I am not hopeful that this is going to change ever. When you got off on the wrong foot, it is very hard to change the legacy policies, especially in this tort-litigation happy country.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Are there any proficient coders here? I'm trying to understand the process (order of events) for coding multiple modules. For example, I want make several changes in the BC1 Module (locks, windows, DRL). I also want to make KOMBI changes (On-Board Computer active).

Do I need to approach this as two separate operations? I know that I need to read the BC1 TRC file --> Load to NCS Dummy --> Make Changes --> Export from NCS Dummy as .MAN file --> Write .MAN file to Module with NCS Expert. Is there a way to code both the KMB and BC1 together? Apologies if this is hard to follow.

Also, I found this process flow diagram somewhat helpful: http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-basic-understanding/

Last edited by TheBigChill; 05-06-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:26 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I've only ever done them separately, make backups!

Old 05-07-2018, 05:04 AM
claancy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have also always coded them separately. I don't know that there is a way to read or write multiple modules at once.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM
S6616
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys - my eyes are tired from reading the wealth of information regarding coding features with NCS Expert.

I have a 2002 R50 Latin America right hand drive Mini Cooper (non-S) that I need to do some coding on. I had to replace both the speedometer and tachometer, so I got the set from eBay for the USA/CAD left hand drive Mini. They both work but I have to code the VIN on the speedometer, change the speed from mph to kmh, change the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius etc. I also want to enable some cool features like auto window up.

I have downloaded and installed the NCS Expert software based on the guide and information herein. However, I am uncertain about the correct cable required for my 2002 r50 Mini Cooper (non-S). Can someone please confirm which USB K-DCAN cable to will work?

Thanks in advance
S6616

Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I dont have a link, but I recommend one with the switch on it I've had the best luck with those style whatever the highest star one is on amazon should work fine.

I do not think you can change the kombi vin with it, if you figure it out let me know I have a vin missmatch cluster displaying the wrong miles on my track car

Old 05-13-2018, 03:43 AM
S6616
1st Gear
Thank you so much for the reply. I’m sorry to hear that I cannot recode the VIN in the Kobmi 😔

Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM
S6616
1st Gear
Is the below cable a good buy for 2002 r50? I am having difficulty finding one on Amazon.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112889244545

Old 05-14-2018, 05:25 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes- that cable should work because it switches between K-Line and DCan.

I just went through this problem with my R53. I previously owned a 2008 BMW for which my cable worked. I later found that it didn't for my R53, so I disassembled the cable head and soldered a switch between Pin 7 and Pin 8 (this is what differentiates KLine from DCan.

Also, the software package with that cable looks very comprehensive and easy to set-up. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 AM
S6616
1st Gear
Thank you so much. I will certainly let you guys know how it goes. #fingersandtoescrossed

Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Anyone know where the option is to have a beep when arming alarm, I have retrofited my alarm and have it working except for the beep when arming. Does anyone know where that option is in NCS expert?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:07 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I messed with that option years ago on my R53. Turned off the acoustic beep for unlocking, but kept it on for locking. Been a long time since I've looked at my trace file but I believe these are the ones I modified (in the BC1):

QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF (this one toggles the setting for lock)
aktiv

QUIT_AKUST_ENTSCH (this one toggles the setting for unlock)
nicht_aktiv

Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for the reply sir, I ended up finding it.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has compiled this info! It's been a great resource. I have picked up the parts needed and will be getting into it soon. Just out of curiosity, and i'm guessing this isn't possible, but i remember hearing that people were able to adjust the sensitivity of the traction control system. Basically give the car a bit more wheel slip before the traction control intervened. Is there any way of getting this coded by doing this?

Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM
deepgrey
5th Gear
Received 340 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I been doing a bit more digging on if there is a way to correct the speedometer error. While there are the impulses per km (46463_imp/km in mine) in the KMB one can change, I suspected there is a lot more than that. There are calibration factors also and that the digital display likely is handled differently from the "analog" speedometer. I wasn't going to just mess with the impulses per km numbers.

The BMW guys has done some impressive work in this Bimmerforum thread. Our Gen 1 seems to be very similar to theirs.

Also it seems Gen2 MINI speedo design differs from Gen 1 in this NAM thread.
I was coding the comfort window opening today and decided to poke around in one of my saved KMB files afterwards. I changed the field bc_geschw_anzeige_geschw from wie_tacho to ohne_vorlauf, and it seems to have removed the speedometer offset from at least the digital display in the on board computer. I think it also changed the dial, but I was having to pay attention to the road when I took a quick test drive, which made checking it against my GPS a bit difficult.

Edit: It does just what it says. It removes the offset from the OBC, but the analog speedometer is still 3 mph high in my car.

Last edited by deepgrey; 06-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In