Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help - I ended up activating the computer with DIS, and I've used this to reprogram all of my displays to show in km and kmph :D:D.

I'm looking to change the VIN number stored in the IKE (speedo), as I have replaced it (went from the Aussie monster tacho to the UK speedo) and want to wind the miles forward to match - anyone know how?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
seamill
1st Gear
Reviving this thread.

Is it possible to add lines of code to the modules? I see many options in NCS Dummy reading my BC1 module, but none of those options in the actual TRC file. Such as enabling the Ultrasonic module for my OEM alarm system. There are apparently options for it in my BC1 module when ready by NCS Dummy...but they are nowhere to be found. Would there be adverse effects if I added the ultrasonic module line in?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 PM
KMalinich
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seamill
Reviving this thread.

Is it possible to add lines of code to the modules? I see many options in NCS Dummy reading my BC1 module, but none of those options in the actual TRC file. Such as enabling the Ultrasonic module for my OEM alarm system. There are apparently options for it in my BC1 module when ready by NCS Dummy...but they are nowhere to be found. Would there be adverse effects if I added the ultrasonic module line in?
I tried adding the module lines in for the pinch sensor for the passenger door on my '06 R53 in NCSExpert. Nothing bad happened, but it didn't work either.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
For those that bought the cheap cable, there may be a solution if you can solder, and hell maybe even if you can't.

First check the wires that go from the cable to the PCB (printed circuit board) in the car end of the cable. My ground was broken off. Resoldered it, good as new.

If you get the VIN faulty error, you will need to jump pins 7&8 on the car end of the cable. If you need a picture, I can get one later on today. This can be accomplished with a pin jumper, likely readily available at Radio Shack, or by soldering a link between the pins like I did. Make sure the joints are cleanly soldered, or you will be able to read the module but not able to write it back to the car. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by scf; 02-23-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
scf
5th Gear
Success!!!!

2003 R53: programmed driver/passenger auto-up, auto unlock when key off or removed from ignition, enabled front and rear fogs.

Anybody enable the fogs to be on with the high beams yet? I've seen it on bimmer forums, but not on a Mini yet.

Last edited by scf; 02-23-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scf
Success!!!!

2003 R53: programmed driver/passenger auto-up, auto unlock when key off or removed from ignition, enabled front and rear fogs.

Anybody enable the fogs to be on with the high beams yet? I've seen it on bimmer forums, but not on a Mini yet.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting my MINI programmed so that I can run the fog lights with the high beams. Has anyone been successful doing this on a R50/53?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM
MikeysM3
1st Gear
So upon reading this thread, NCS Expert / DUmmy is used to code our cars?

Are there any newer friendlier programs we can use? My buddie has the cable and I want to make some tweaks.

Any other cool things we can turn on on our cars?

I have an 05 MCS.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM
scf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MikeysM3
So upon reading this thread, NCS Expert / DUmmy is used to code our cars?

Yes.

Are there any newer friendlier programs we can use? My buddie has the cable and I want to make some tweaks.

No.

Any other cool things we can turn on on our cars?

Depends on what you want to do. Read up on all of the threads, the info is there for ya.

I have an 05 MCS.
it's all about what you want to do, and how much time you want to invest.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM
physh
1st Gear
Hi guys,

I've spent most of the day trying to program my 2006 R53 with NCS Expert but I kept seeing errors. I tried to update the software and datens and also tried jumping the pins on my cable to no avail.
As an IT professional, I understand computers quite well but that BMW clusterf..k is beyond me.

I followed the PDFs, looked at various BMW coding forums and posts but I still cannot get it to work.
It looks like the ignition is detected but I cannot go forward in NCS. Here is the error I keep getting:
VIN is faulty
COAPI-2000: EDIABAS or SGBD error
IFH-0018: Initializing failure of the interface handler

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 AM
spidertnt
1st Gear
From another site.

You may require checking to see if your pins 7-8 were already linked internally.
Your cable may need to be un-linked.

http://bmwgt1.com/inpa-ifh-0009-error/

INPA IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT ERRORS

If you experience the IFH-0009 No Response error in Inpa, then it indicates a break down (or lack of) communication between the Vehicle itself, and the laptop. More often than not, IFH-0009 errors in INPA are caused by the following problems.

1) Poor quality, or incorrectly wired interfaces. IFH-0009 errors are the most common in D-Can+K usb interface leads. Often these originate from China or Hong Kong, and can be badly constructed, incorrectly wired, or contain the wrong chip set drivers or come with no drivers at all!. Whilst not all Chinese interfaces are poor quality, buying cheap imported leads is a gamble and when problems occur the seller probably won’t be interested. It is therefore important that you buy an interface lead from a good quality, reputable Vendor.

2) Wrong or Incorrect Interface Drivers. Again, mass produced interfaces can often contain cd’s with the wrong chipset drivers or come with no CD at all. Without the correct (latest) USB drivers, your interface lead will not install under windows properly. Our software package comes complete with a popular driver which is compatible with most Chinese and Western produced USB Interfaces, which will often work if the one supplied from your interface lead vendor doesn’t or hasn’t been included.

3) Incorrectly configured interface lead. Again, one of the most common problems with USB type leads. When installing a D-Can or Usb Interface lead, you will need to reconfigure the Windows based com port settings, so that the USB lead, appears to replicate an old RS-232 serial port. To replicate the port correctly, you need to change the existing Com port setting of the USB interface within Windows to Com Port 1 and change the latency setting to ‘1′ and check any ‘Fifo’ box

4) Incorrectly wired interface. Once again, there is no set standard as to the wiring pin configurations used within D-Can + K interfaces, by the various manufacturers. Some interface leads have pin 8 disconnected, some have pin 8 physically linked (bridged) to Pin 7, and some have pin 7 & 8 connected individually with no bridge link. If you still have problems connecting to the vehicle, and still get ‘IFH’ style errors then you should open the OBD Socket of the lead and check the pin wiring to see which type of interface you have. You should consider trying your interface lead, with the following configurations….

i) Pin 8 joined to Pin 7 using a small wire link

ii) Pin 8 physically disconnected

iii) Pin 7 and Pin 8 individually connected to their own pins with no link.

More often than not, one of these configurations will work with your vehicle, I recommend trying it with pins 7 & 8 linked together first, as this is by far the most popular vehicle configuration.

Also don’t assume that once you have found the pin 8 solution which works with one vehicle, that it will automatically work with a different model. If you have more than one D-Can equipped vehicle, you may need to obtain a second interface lead and configure ‘pin 8′ diffrently.

If you don’t own a soldering iron, or if you don’t feel confident about soldering electrical connectors, then there are adaptors available which will bridge pins 7 & 8 together, without any need to open the OBD socket or solder.

5) Incomplete Versions of INPA. There are many versions of Inpa around, many of which are incomplete or simply lack the various configuration files in which to work correctly. If you try all of the above and the IFH-0009 problem still remains, then you will need to consider buying and installing the full version of Inpa which includes Ediabas and BMW Standard Tools.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
bmorrow
2nd Gear
I've done a little bit of research but before I get too deep, can it even be done on my car? i have a 2002 mini cooper s?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmorrow
I've done a little bit of research but before I get too deep, can it even be done on my car? i have a 2002 mini cooper s?
I've coded at least one '02 and a couple early '03s. There aren't as many options as the later cars, but it definitely works. The most-requested function on the early cars is to add the digital speedometer to the onboard computer display.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
physh
1st Gear
I ended up soldering pins 7 and 8 and it worked. I programmed a lot of things and I'm really thankful for all the information I found here!

There's only one option I haven't found for the R53 (not sure if it exists): Is there a way to disable the legal disclaimer in the navigation unit?

Thanks!

Last edited by physh; 05-01-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM
physh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by physh
I ended up soldering pins 7 and 8 and it worked. I programmed a lot of things and I'm really thankful for all the information I found here!

There's only one option I haven't found for the R53 (not sure if it exists): Is there a way to disable the legal disclaimer in the navigation unit?

Thanks!
So, I'm just going to respond to myself... In order to disable the irritating disclaimer, go to the KMB module and set "BC_NAVI_VISUELLE_WARNUNG" to "nicht_aktiv". Boom, disclaimer gone.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
cracker666
1st Gear
result
Remember to make a backup.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
AlphaSun
Neutral
Remote Window Close

I've been trying to work this out (off and on) for about 3 months now to no avail. I've been able to successfully program the Remote Window Open (hold the fob unlock button and all windows open) as well as a number of other things I wanted to program. The one thing that still eludes me is Remote Window Close (hold the fob lock button and all windows close).

I've got a 2002 MCS (R53) with a BC1.C03 module. I have the "old" 2-button remote. If my TRC file would be helpful to anyone, I'd be happy to post it.

spidertnt -- I tried pressing the lock button repeatedly very fast but had no luck with that either. Were you ever able to get this working right on your '04 MCS?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
spidertnt
1st Gear
I can open and close the sunroof and windows with the remote.

press open many times continuously - fast

same thing to close them with remote.

just keep pressing....Holding does nothing for me.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's all comfort. Comfort closing, comfort opening. Multiple presses are not required, you press and hold. If you are multiple pressing then you may have a battery issue in your remote.

You may need to edit the Car Key Memory, as the comfort controls are also available on a per-key basis. IE there is a global on off, as well as a per key sub menu.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
spidertnt
1st Gear
I'll try a new battery.. thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM
oddcarnut
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've just read the posts in this thread and see folks doing exactly what I need to do on the 2005 R53 that I just bought to replace the one my wife had which was recently totaled. It would appear I need a cable, to download some software, connect to the car and make some software code changes.

So what cable do I need and where should I fetch one?

Once I get that and download the software mentioned, will it be relatively straight forward to turn off auto locking, turn off daytime running lights and turn on auto up for windows?

Anyone near Greenville SC that has the cable and knowledge to do this for some beer or $ or other wrench twisting assistance?

Cheers,

Ken

Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
kmr53
Neutral
Ok so I need help. I've got the program up and running, I can pull the vin annd get the code modify it save it as a MAN file but when i go to program it in it hives me a error that says check your BC1.CO5 file. And it wont take the new settings.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
kmr53
Neutral
Never-mind I got everything working. I turned on the DRLs but now the car wont take any code I cant even get them to turn back off. No errors just says coding ended and nothing happens. When I pull the file back up none of the settings change. Any ideas?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
kmr53
Neutral
Figured it all out the job was set to the wrong thing made sure it was on SG_CODIERN works great cant get pass one touch up working tho 04 mcs

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know the coding in the bc1 or else where to activate auto wipers? I retrofitted the sensor but now need to activate the sensor.
Possibly a the vehicle order needs to be updated with the option?
I have 2004 r53, so auto headlights won't work as the auto mirror only has 3 wires and not the newer mirror with all the wires including kbus to talk to the car.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've made the same mod and needed to change the VO to get the auto lights working.

For the auto wipers they also work but in INPA the measured value is always above 255 and they wipe all the time.

Similarly the auto lights come on too early.

But it's all functioning, just need a more translucent adhesive.

Quick Reply: Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Add-In