Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical I am looking to install Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,

That looks like the passenger side... the MULF goes under the drivers seat. What you see there under the passenger seat is the cables for adding sat. radio.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
So today (Saturday) I decide to pull the mini dash apart again and double check my wiring. All looked good. One thing that has puzzled me since my first go of this bluetooth retrofit install was that my Nav/Radio/Speedo already had a MOST fiber optic cable running into the back of the radio. I have totally remove this thing it was just a loop back cable like the one that came with the cable kit.

So today I decided to disconnect the loop back MOST cable that came with the wiring kit and hook up the original MOST FO cable that was already in my mini. Got it all hooked up, turn on the ignition and the Bluetooth started working... it was "checked" as on and I could now pair my iPhone 4. However, the bluetooth streaming of music does not seem to work. Time to break out NCS expert.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRy
So today (Saturday) I decide to pull the mini dash apart again and double check my wiring. All looked good. One thing that has puzzled me since my first go of this bluetooth retrofit install was that my Nav/Radio/Speedo already had a MOST fiber optic cable running into the back of the radio. I have totally remove this thing it was just a loop back cable like the one that came with the cable kit.

So today I decided to disconnect the loop back MOST cable that came with the wiring kit and hook up the original MOST FO cable that was already in my mini. Got it all hooked up, turn on the ignition and the Bluetooth started working... it was "checked" as on and I could now pair my iPhone 4. However, the bluetooth streaming of music does not seem to work. Time to break out NCS expert.
Bluetooth Streaming of audio is not supported unless you have MINI Connect and all the parts that go with it. And with an 08 the job of adding the MINI Connect (although possible) would mean a complete change of all of the Most Bus Electrionics and a bunch of other items as well. You could probably buy a new car for less than that cost

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
schatzy... OK. I wasn't sure. So no streaming, but my bluetooth phone is working.

So called my wife, hands free, from the highway going about 65 mph, and she said she could barely hear me and that there was a lot of static. I think it is all the wind noise from my sunroof (which was completely closed, as were all my windows).

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MiniRy
schatzy... OK. I wasn't sure. So no streaming, but my bluetooth phone is working.

So called my wife, hands free, from the highway going about 65 mph, and she said she could barely hear me and that there was a lot of static. I think it is all the wind noise from my sunroof (which was completely closed, as were all my windows).
Sounds as if you may need to check your microphone location.

Not sure if you installed the microphone or not but they are put on the passenger side at the factory and when moved to the drivers side they work much better.

See this you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLQR8sYfqQ

Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Yeah, my mini already had a mic on the passenger side, probably the voice command mic for the navigation system, so the mic that came with the BT retro fit wiring kit, I installed in the empty spot on the driver's side. I called my wife with the mic in its current location (up by the sunroof) without the car running and she could hear me fine, so I believe it is the wind noise from the sunroof.

I going to do some tests, including moving the mic to the dash, away from the sunroof.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have factory bluetooth and never use it. Everyone I speak to says they can barely hear me. I did the switch to the drivers side as well. I usually just plug in the aux. to my headphone jack on my droid and it works much better.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Interesting. Well, I spent to much time and money adding this BT retro kit, so I am going to try and make it work.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by phxsteele
I have factory bluetooth and never use it. Everyone I speak to says they can barely hear me. I did the switch to the drivers side as well. I usually just plug in the aux. to my headphone jack on my droid and it works much better.
I have only had complaints when I have the windows or sunroof "open" if they are closed then there is no problem.

Now I have driven many many different cars and with all of them when the windows are down or the sunroof open there is way to much noise in the car for good use of hands free bluetooth. It does not matter how expensive the car is or how good the bluetooh system is with the windows down or sunroof open the amount of wind noise WILL be a problem no mater where the mic is put unless it is right next to your mouth.

Depending on the phone you use there are some adjustments to the system that can be done to make it work better. Let me know what kind of phone you use and I can work with you to hopefully make it better.

And after that if you have a problem with the windows and sunroof closed and the car is under warranty then take it to the dealer and tell them they need to fix it.