Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical I am looking to install Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to install Bluetooth

I found this site, does anyone know about this one if it is good or not? running wires is not an issue for me, I just want to make sure that this is the real thing or not.

http://www.bramanautoparts.com/prod/...ace_67293.aspx

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
From the data on thier website it looks like it shoul work with no problem but a bigger quesiton is do you have a multi Function Steering Wheel, it will be required and extra cost if you dont have it.

Also what year and model is you car?

If a 2007 what production month?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
It is a 8/2007. And it has the Multifunction steering wheel. I just wasn't sure if this thing was legit or not. Are you familiar with this process?
Thanks for the reply btw

Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
matt,
check out this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-delivery.html

I am planning on doing the same retrofit/upgrade to my 2008 MCS. My mini has NAV but for some reason did not have bluetooth. So I ordered this same wiring kit, but from ECS Tuning. Note, that you will also have to purchase the MULF module, which is $415 from BWM, but only $315 from ECS tuning. See the thread link above; one other guy says he did the upgrade and it was a major pain.

I just got my BT retrofit kit today, which is really just a wiring kit and a plastic box for mounting the MULF under the drivers seat. I got my MULF model from a salvage dealer off ebay. Now I have to figure out how to install it. ) Once I get it installed, then I have to figure out how to program it or find some dealer that will do the programming.

-=Ryan

Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Good Luck with the install. It can be done. but take some time. Be careful and dont force anything and you should have a neat install.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
So I spent all day Saturday installing my 6ND Bluetooth retrofit kit. Now I have a "Pass. restraint syst." error or fault. I installed the MULF unit under the drivers seat per BMW's instructions. I did turn the car on before put the driver's seat back in the car, to insure everything was functioning properly.

2 things: 1. The bluetooth module does not appear to be activated. 2. I am now getting this AirBag/Seatbelt warning. Could this fault be because I turned on the car with the driver' seat out?

Unless someone has any ideas on how to clear this fault, and possibly get the bluetooth retrofit activated, I guess I am scheduling an appointment with my local dealer. :(

-=Ryan

PS. I did not take any video, but did take a ton of photos of the BT retrofit install process.

Last edited by MiniRy; 03-11-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: ps update
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea you need to go have it programmed now. It is not plug and play. It should be a couple of hours of programming.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Ryan,
The airbag light went off because you didn't have the seat in when you turned it on. no need to worry, this is just an easy fix, take it to a local place and have it cleared. it takes all of 30 seconds to do that. Some dealers will charge you an hour to fix the light. I can't wait to see the pictures that you took of the install hope everything goes well! let me know.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Here's a couple photos of the BT retro install. I will put together a PDF of the photos I took with some notes on my experience with the install.

-=Ryan

Attached Thumbnails I am looking to install Bluetooth-img_0568.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-img_0591.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-img_0586.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRy
Here's a couple photos of the BT retro install. I will put together a PDF of the photos I took with some notes on my experience with the install.

-=Ryan
Thank you so much Ryan. And let us know how the programming goes!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
BT Fail

Got my MINI back from the dealer. They said that they tried to program the Bluetooth twice and "it would not take" Attached are some images of my CID, notice that I now have the Communications option and the bluetooth setup option. It says to turn on bluetooth, but the checkbox will not respond to joystick clicks.

The dealer said that it is most likely a problem with the install and wanted to charge my $700 to cover over my entire install. I almost said yes, but then realized that I had purchased the MULF (BT) until from a salvage dealer on eBay, and it was most likely the issue with the programming not taking.

So I am frustrated to say the least. This weekend I am going to review my entire install. More to come.

-=Ryan

PS. I know have a "High Battery Drain" Msg, and the dealer says it is due to my install. I kinda get the feeling that since I did the install, they tended to point the figure of issues at my handy work.

Attached Thumbnails I am looking to install Bluetooth-minibt_1.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-minibt_3.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-minibt_4.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
So, I pull the MULF unit out from under the driver's seat, this time WITHOUT disconnecting the yellow AirBag/Seatbelt plug thing.

I open the unit up (which I should have done before I even installed the darn thing) and it looks like it came from a mini that sat on the bottom of a lake for a few days. The circuit board had obviously been submerged in water. All the components had water damage and corrosion.

Did did re-check all my wiring, even use a flashlight to test the Fi-Optics out to make sure I did not kink one of them; all checked out, has to be this corroded circuit board in the MULF.

So I turned the car on, and now that it is programmed for the MULF unit, the radio and the rest of CID will not work unless I hook the MULF backup. The display show a message of "Loading data from... bla bla" or something. Therefore I decided to give the circuit board a bath in alcohol and used a toothbrush to try and clean it up.

I connected the MULF, minus its metal housing, and turn the ignition on, now the radio and aux in is working again and I can see a read light on the MULF board, so I which over the setup to see if I can setup bluetooth; still a no go.

Guess, I will have to pay the BMW premium and order a new MULF!

-=Ryan

Attached Thumbnails I am looking to install Bluetooth-bad_mulf1.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-bad_mulf2.jpg  

Last edited by MiniRy; 03-17-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Did you think of going to a junk yard? Some places have a 30 day warranty on there parts. If you could have pulled one out of a wrecked Mini and try that. keep us updated. I am following this very carefully.
thanks again
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Sure did... but not a single mini with a MULF in my area junk yards... hence why I bought the one I have off ebay. The seller has another one... and I have ask if they are will do send me the other one to try out. Otherwise, I spent too much on my mini this month; a new MULF will have to be next month or so. And since I do not have this all working yet, I have *not* completed the PDF I promised, but I will.

More to come.

Last edited by MiniRy; 03-18-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
So I got to actually talked to the eBay seller on the phone of my ULF module High (not sure why I kept calling it an MULF, which I had seen posted somewhere). Anyway, he very nice and accommodating. He offered to search around for another unit for me. So we'll see.

Matt... what is the setup of your MINI, year? do you have NAV? Do you know what kits to buy, when are you planning to do your retrofit, etc... ?

-=Ryan

Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Ryan,
Sorry for the late response I was not alerted that you had responded. I was planning on doing it whenever I found a legit kit. I have an 08/2007 with no nave. I don’t know what kit to buy as of yet, but I was hoping someone would point me in a good direction. I have a huge salvage yard near my place and they have a lot of minis. I just don’t know where to start.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 AM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Matt, I would call ECS Tuning, (that's what I did), give them your VIN# and tell them that you want to add blue tooth and they will figure out what parts you need.

So, I have not been able to find another ULF model High, so while I am waiting (saving) to afford a new unit, I will continue looking for a used one. The part number I am looking for is 84109229740 (which is probably the one you'll need also). So if your local salvage yard has more than one ULF units (84109229740), let me know.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
They were closed today due to rain, But I will ask them as soon as I can I will be glad to help.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
matt, don't worry about it... I just order one from ECS Tuning.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/84109229740/

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
so you install that under the seat? or does it go in between the seats under that plastic panel where the parking break is?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
Would you happen to have the PDF of the install? and or wiring diagram?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
still not working

so... I received my brand new, in a box, ULF high unit today, lifted the driver's seat and replaced the bad one, but the nav screens displays the same messages. "Bluetooth is not on. Please turn on bluetooth to pair your phone"

So I guess it is back to the to dealer. Ugh!

wiring doc attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MINIR56Bluetooth.pdf (2.04 MB, 824 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Matt, Did you get a ULF module?

Also... now with the new module installed my AUX is no longer working. Man this is frustrating! I was a car stereo installer for nearly 10 years, it should not be this difficult, unless BMW planned it this way, so they could over charge us to do the work, that they don't even want to do. Arrgh!

Last edited by MiniRy; 04-09-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
that sounds frustrating :/ I called the junk yard and asked if he had any Minis 07-10 and he said yea, then I asked him if they had bluetooth and he told me that the coopers don't have bluetooth. I tried to explain it to him and then he told me that they doesn't have any Minis in those years. So on my next day off I am going over there to deal with it in person. People can be so stupid sometimes. I hope that yo get it all figured out. I would like to just have the Bluetooth, I am not sure about the USB but why not if it comes with it. Keep me updated.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
matthew47
2nd Gear
I found some wires running under the seat in that little area... Do you know what they go to? And I also found this plug hanging from the top, the wires are yellow and black. Any idea?

Attached Thumbnails I am looking to install Bluetooth-wires.jpg   I am looking to install Bluetooth-imag0164.jpg  

Quick Reply: Electrical I am looking to install Bluetooth