Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
teebo7
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me add a little to the above post... when i get pasted the "uncheck the "execute back up and restore wizard" i get to "available hardware interface". there are quite a few option but no Com port XXX at all... doing something wrong with the install?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM
teebo7
3rd Gear
disregard last two, reinstalled and worked this time however, now I can't open NCS expert says i have wrong version of windows. I thought I ran the compatibility but still a no go.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
ti317
Neutral
None of the links work. All I need is the instruction pdf. Anyone out there have a way to get it to me?

TIA

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
you can go on my thread, my links are up
Cheers

Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
The "Guide" link is working for me.

Here it is again: - The Guide (Rev 2011.04.23) (pdf, 193k)

Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ti317: Just verified that all the links are indeed working.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
I'm sure after I invest a few thousand hours into this like all of you apparently have , all of the cryptic acronyms and codes will begin to make sense (hopefully). Got to tell you, though, coming in cold, it's a bit daunting.

When I was looking for a cable, I came across this on eBay -- looks like one of the cheaper cables but it's bundled with the software (?). Am I reading this right? That would be great as long as it works, of course...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280745678490#ht_31366wt_1398

Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by d@g
I'm sure after I invest a few thousand hours into this like all of you apparently have , all of the cryptic acronyms and codes will begin to make sense (hopefully). Got to tell you, though, coming in cold, it's a bit daunting.

When I was looking for a cable, I came across this on eBay -- looks like one of the cheaper cables but it's bundled with the software (?). Am I reading this right? That would be great as long as it works, of course...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280745678490#ht_31366wt_1398

d@g - 6 months ago, you would have been absolutely correct. But, if you take a look at the first post in this forum and then do a search for NCSEXPERT, you'll find a couple of threads that will get you up and running pretty darn quick. I spent a couple of months banging my head against the wall with no results and then the "NCSEXPERT DIY" thread was created with the handy guide and the next thing you know, I was coding away.

As far as expenses? The OBD-II interface connector is pretty much the biggest expense you'll deal with. Initially, I bought a Netbook because I'm a "Mac Head" but I've since installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp and I've got a bigger/friendlier screen and it runs without any problems at all.

Go through the "how-to" guide that's in the first post of this thread, give it a shot and if it's not working, ask questions and you'll get lots of help.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm also a Mac user (since 1984 -- never owned a Windoze machine), but I have a work laptop running XP that I can use. Maybe that's my chief concern (DOS prompts talking to my MINI's computer). LOL. Last thing I want to do is fry the car's brain. I'm coming from the VAG world and there are aftermarket companies like Ross Tech that sell (and support) the VAG-COM software with cable for a truly plug-n-play solution.

Still, I plan to go ahead. Just a few things I really want to change (activate rear fogs, front fogs eventually and auto-unlock).

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Success!

Well, I went ahead and bought the above cable from ebay with a CD/DVD set that included more stuff than I really need:

Software Service Station(SSS) v32 + Diagnostic Information Services(DIS) with TIS.
TIS standalone for local hard-drive install (supports up to 2008)
EDIBAS (includes ToolSET32)
INPA Deutsch and English
WINWELDI
WINKFP Deutsch and English Versions
NCS Expert
One Dual K+D Can USB to OBD Cable (supports 2008+)

The installation instructions that I got were 46 detailed pages long and I've worked intermittently over the last three days trying to get stuff running. I got the TIS working fine and all the directories for the other software unzipped so I have EDIABAS, INPA, NCSEXPER all set up. Getting the drivers installed and the right COM port set for the USB/CAN cable was a series of trials and errors. But I finally figured it out.

I stopped at the point where the instructions wanted me to rename my PC to a 8-character name (that would be a problem with my work PC), install VMWare and .Net framework. I think the VMWare is needed for some of the heavy diagnostic software and .Net for NCSDummy. I didn't see any references to this stuff in the excellent PDF supplied in the first post of this thread, so jumped over to that set of instructions because all I really want is NCS Expert.

I confirmed that EDIABAS was communicating OK with the car via the cable, but I did not have the REVTOR.PFL file with my set of software, so I found that online and put it in the right spot. I fired up INPA, NCSExpert and everything went exactly as planned! Read the module, edit the file, and then code it back to the ECU.

One spelling correction to the instructions...the reading job should be spelled CODIERDATEN_LESEN, not LESSEN (Infinitive form of the German verb to read is LESEN).

Pushing that "execute job" button for SG_CODIEREN was a leap of faith. I half expected my car to just die, but after I got the message that coding was complete, I flipped on the rear fog light and there was the indicator light in the speedo and the light was surely lit in the bumper!

Now that I'm getting brave, can anyone tell me if there's a breakdown of all the modules? I just happened to stumble upon the fact that the rear fog is in the IHKS module --- what about all the others? Is there a consolidated guide?

Thanks,
Dave G.

Last edited by d@g; 12-26-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Frustration turned to joy!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
I ordered the cable from ebay and installed all the software that came with it. It's supposed to work for cars from 1998-2007, mine is a 2005.

INPA sees the car (two full black circles) but it can't read any of the modules (such as airbag).

When I try to start NCSexpert I keep getting the 'vin is faulty' with COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU and IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

I've been looking all over the internet, read all the DIY's I could find, downloaded the INPA FAQ, checked the drivers, checked the installs, downloaded new versions of NCS/EDIABAS/INPA but nothing seems to work for my issue.

Anyone have a suggestion for me?

Last edited by Nick5811; 01-13-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 AM
bearheroes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nick5811
I ordered the cable from ebay and installed all the software that came with it. It's supposed to work for cars from 1998-2007, mine is a 2005.

INPA sees the car (two full black circles) but it can't read any of the modules (such as airbag).

When I try to start NCSexpert I keep getting the 'vin is faulty' with COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU and IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

I've been looking all over the internet, read all the DIY's I could find, downloaded the INPA FAQ, checked the drivers, checked the installs, downloaded new versions of NCS/EDIABAS/INPA but nothing seems to work for my issue.

Anyone have a suggestion for me?
this message indicates that there is no connection between your pc and car...Have you installed datens in your NCSExpert directory right?Have you made all the configuration in Ediabas.ini and obi.ini?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bearheroes
this message indicates that there is no connection between your pc and car...Have you installed datens in your NCSExpert directory right?Have you made all the configuration in Ediabas.ini and obi.ini?
Can you be more specific re: configurations?

The seller of the cable and supplier of the software checked remotely and verified I set it up correctly (com port, latency, registry values, ini files, c:\ediabas thing, etc...)

Since it wasn't working, I looked on the net for newer datens and ran the laden.bin file to update them or whatever. That still didn't help, but I think I have the newest v41? daten files.

I just found out that I had EDIABAS 6.4 installed, so I downloaded EDIABAS 7.2. I didn't see an installer anywhere, so I moved the 6.4 files, and copied the 7.2 files into the old folder. I then copied the original EDIABAS.INI file into the new 7.2 folder and ran the OBD.exe which still showed everything ok. I'll try to plug into the car in the morning.

can someone tell me how to install/upgrade it the right way?

Last edited by Nick5811; 01-16-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 AM
bearheroes
2nd Gear
The .ini file of 7.2.0 is different of 6.4.7
i keeped the file of 7.2.0 and made the changes...
RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1
value : 1000<port<30000
Port = 6801
in obd.ini you have to configure which port do you use and then copy this file to c:\windows

Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
GreenCooper
Neutral
Hi!
Someone could explain how enable the "onboard computer" and disable the "bulb out warning" on my Mini?
I got NCS Expert and the appropiate cable too, but I don't understand what should I do!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone tried doing this remotely to help others with it yet? USB over RDP/USB over network possibly?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
doing it remotely would be awesome.

anyone know were i can find v40 and v41 datens

Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
stinsonbeach
Neutral
Hi,
great installation guide. This was easy after having the right cable...
But here's the problem: I read all values and copied them into the FSW_PSW.MAN file and then loaded them with one documented change.
The result is that the lights are on for:
- vehicle electronics failed and
- control system for convertible top failed
- and that I cannot control the bord computer anymore

I used the datens package V38 and followed all instructions.

Does anyone know how to fix this ? This seems to be a bigger issue...

Thanks,

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Use v43 datens.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
stinsonbeach
Neutral
Thanks for the quick help. Any idea where I can find this data set. It seems that all the existing version were on a file server which was shut down this week :-(

Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Or now that I look, v45 is out now.
https://rapidshare.com/files/2446457774/R56.rar

The following users liked this post:
Bcoday (11-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Juppers
2nd Gear
And Standard Tools 2.11. This installs EDIABAS 7.2 instead of the copy over method discussed previously.

Google BMW Standard tools 2.11 for download, or http://ge.tt/8AykwAD for a limited time.

Release Notes for BMW Standard Tools
-------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © by BMW Group
Tool-Setup Version 2.11.0 - 31.05.2011
Support: Flash Service
Email: flash.service@bmw.de
-------------------------------------------------------
The following programs will be installed or updated:
Program Default directory Description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIABAS C:\EDIABAS Vehicle diagnostic tool
WINKFP C:\EC-Apps\NFS Vehicle programming tool
NFS C:\EC-Apps\NFS Control tool for winkfp
INPA C:\EC-Apps\INPA Vehicle diagnostic tool
NcsExpert C:\NcsExper Vehicle coding tool
Program File-Versions Package
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIABAS: 7.2.0 2.3
-Tool32 3.9.0
-CANdriver 2.5.0.0 WINKFP 5.2.3
- CoAPI 3.12.4
NFS 5.2.9
- KMM SRV 4.31.1
INPA 5.0.6
NCS Expert 1.0.0.1 App.Version 3.1.0

Last edited by Juppers; 02-04-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
JayJayGer
Neutral
A German Mini driver has a question about the TPMS System in my US import Cooper S!

Here in Germany it´s not usual to have the TPMS system in each single wheel, and so I have the problem that the nice yellow light is on all the time.
My BMW dealer told me, there is no possibility to reset because of the other pressure control system in the EU. ( runs with DSC )

Now I want to know, how to turn of the light by NCS Expert, may you can help me!

I used the search function but only found this thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...able-tpms.html

... but I don´t know how to work with the infomations in post 10.
Isn´t there an ECU where i could turn the TPMS system off? Up to now I couldn´t find...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Does anyone have a better link for the software? No one is seeding either of the torrents.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quality_sound
Does anyone have a better link for the software? No one is seeding either of the torrents.
Which software do you need? I may still have it on my external hdd and can upload on mediafire for you or something.

Quick Reply: Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY