Return of the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
Speaking of butt dynos, do you have a larger version of your signature pic?

I do, and I'll trade you for a "Return of the CAI"...you just gotta figure out how to get it from them

Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Sorry to hear your MINI was disabled by a deer Matt. How did the deer fair? Muley/blacktail or whitey? If it's past on I hope the meat went to good use, because venison is too good to pass up!

Anyways, whoever reports back to this forum on the Craven Speed CAI better have confidence intervals along with the stats!

Jeremy

Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Intake Shipping Today

BCOBB from North Carolina will be conducting our first open evaluation. I am sending him an intake today. He will be reporting back to all of us in this manner;

To start the evaluation I will get 5 good 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs with the stock intake recorded with the G-tech. Next, I will get 5 good runs with the Craven CAI the same as before with the stock intake. I will drop the highest and lowest times and this will give me 3 good runs for each. I will report all data with each run. When our dragstrip opens in March I will take it and get 3 runs each on CAI, and stock. I will give MPG reports for city and highway driving. I drive 120 miles round trip to work everyday so this will give good highway mileage. The city mileage I will have to do on the weekends. I don't have the on board computer in my MINI so these will be done accurately with the trip odometer and calculator.

So we should hear back from BCOBB in about a month. Anyone have any expectations for the results? What are some reasonable deltas?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My thoughts..

Originally Posted by Kellen
Anyone have any expectations for the results? What are some reasonable deltas?
Better than feared and worse than hoped!

Anyway, the deer was very small (about German Sheppard sized.) Jumped in the road in front of me and stopped, the proverbial deer caught in headlights. It went thirty yards, and the hood, rad support and parts around there took a major hit but not so hard, as the airbags didn't deploy. Car is in the shop, and should be back soon. Longer than hoped and shorter than feared! (Life tends to work this way.)

Good luck with the testing! I like to see numbers like this as opposed to the "dyno testing yielded blah blah blah" especially when something dependant on airflow is tested (like an intake or IC).

Matt

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
I would hope you'd do at least 10-15 runs per intake and only throw one outlier from the calculated mean if there is one(big time wheel peel or can't find 2nd gear). Then we can do some stats to see if the intakes are statistically different! The key is sample size! More numbers makes it easier to quantify the differences. Make sure to add a few pounds to the car after you do the intake swap after the 10-15 burns! Good luck gentlemen!

Matt I'm glad to hear your MINI is almost patched up! Sounds like you tagged a yearling or a small blacktail; if you're on the coast here.

Jeremy

Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 AM
BCOBB
1st Gear
Intake delivered

I got the intake on friday. Planning on running the test this saturday 3/9/08. I had too much going on this past weekend to start it.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
BCOBB
1st Gear
Testing

Well, we had rain here yesterday, so I was all set to do the testing this morning. I hooked up my G-tech and could not calibrate the rpm's. I works fine in my other car (toyota). Has anyone had any problems calibrating the G-tech in their MINI? I am going to post this question in the MCS forum.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
To get RPMs from a G-Tech

you can't use the cig lighter socket. You have to run a wire from the high current post next to the air box. Some have wired other cig sockets to this, I used a relay controlled by one of the switched circuits in the driver side kick panal fuse area.

Here's how I did it... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=47555

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 03-09-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thanks for the assist, Matt!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to bring a post back to life but this was almost 2 months ago. Any results, anything? Did I miss a post?

I had my Cravenspeed pulley installed yesterday by Dan @ Grassroots. Dan had many brands there and available but yet chose Cravenspeed.

I asked him why and based on his explanations, the design and quality of the pulley, I understand completely why he chose Cravenspeed.

Having said that, I'm absolutely thrilled with the design, ease of installation and quality of the pulley. Dan showed me how the bolts line up and are the exact length (which doesn't sound like a big deal until you compare it to another MAJOR brand sitting next to it)

The point of this post? If Cravenspeed put the same thought and design into a CAI as they did their pulley, I WANT ONE.

So what's the deal?

On a side note, there were a lot of "requirement/needs" listed.

I think personally, most people are concerned with a list a lot smaller.

a) quality
b)price
c)ease of installation
d)does it increase/decrease performance/mpg?

All this technical g force, 1/4 mile time, 0-60 foot times, blah, blah, blah are great for bragging rights or if you're going to the track but I think for the most of us that use our car as a daily driver, the above 4 points are answers enough.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Um Mark...

how do you know anything about performance changes without some repeatable quantification of any type of change in performance? Please, don't say "impressions". I've been testing parts for a while and the butt dyno is pretty close to a random number generator.

Matt

Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
how do you know anything about performance changes without some repeatable quantification of any type of change in performance? Please, don't say "impressions". I've been testing parts for a while and the butt dyno is pretty close to a random number generator.

Matt
Matt,

Oh, I agree. Having been building engines since I was 17, very rarely do I ever believe that the seat of your pants feel is enough to decide if a mod was an improvement or just "feels like it". (eg. loud exhaust always makes the car seem faster...lol)

I should have clarified enough. I agree some testing needs to be done otherwise you have no way to compare those numbers. Having said that, I honestly don't think it makes a big enough difference between filters. What are we talking about... perhaps a mile to the gallon, 2-3 HP? You know what I mean? It's such a miniscule effect that I guess it doesn't justify 1/4 mile times, etc. (IMO)

The effect a filter makes on the dyno is good enough for a "general" idea if the filter helps or hurts.

That is why my last (#4) choice is if it helps or hurts... as long as the dyno shows it doesn't hurt performance, I'm okay with that.

My proof of that is if you read a lot of these posts, SO MANY people said it didn't make a difference but it sounded cool. Anotherwards, it didn't matter if it helped HP-wise, as long as it looked and sounded cool.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to belittle the value of your tests, just unlike most major mods, the effects of one air filter doesn't seem to overpower another brand.

Mark

Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM
BCOBB
1st Gear
Testing

Sorry for the delay, testing is still ongoing. Weather hasn't been too good on the weekends to go to the track but I will have some numbers up soon.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Good testing is a real PITA

as you are now finding. The drag is that if there are small deltas, it takes particularly good experimental techniques and statistics to know anything for certian.

I guess if the deltas are small, you could argue it's not worth the time to quantify them well.

Matt

Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
SPORTMiX-04S
1st Gear
So let me get this straight. According to these last three or so post, I should not see anything more than 2 or 3 HP gain over my OEM CAI, with ANY Aftermarket CAI? Yes or No?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
No, the difference between OEM and a performance unit will be more substantial. The difference amongst aftermarket units will be more like 3-4 HP.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPORTMiX-04S
So let me get this straight. According to these last three or so post, I should not see anything more than 2 or 3 HP gain over my OEM CAI, with ANY Aftermarket CAI? Yes or No?

Sportmix,

I'm sorry, I was trying to make the point that the increase in probably minimal of all "mods" done to the car... 2,3 or 4 HP isn't a large HP gain and by the time it goes through the drivetrain, you can take away another 15%.

I was just making the point that any CAI will probably give an increase, I just don't think it's substantial enough to clarify "exact" HP/performance increases by doing 1/4 mile times, etc...

No disrespect to those that want those "exact" numbers... I just know it helps, I don't care how much.

Mark

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
So more than 3 months since the last post from the test subject. Did anything ever get done?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
I expect that we will all hear back pretty soon.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
There was a Full Review of the CAI by none other than Ryephile in Issue #2 of the NAM Alliance Magazine. Go to https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/alliance to download and read.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 AM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
Thanks. What a great e-zine. I didn't realize this was for the R53. Still trying to figure out which CAI is best for my R56. The search goes on...

-C

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
I expect that we will all hear back pretty soon.
*twiddles thumbs*....

Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 AM
BCOBB
1st Gear
Sorry for the wait guys. I am done testing. I am in the process of getting all of the info together, but I have been working 13 hr. days for the last few weeks. As soon as I get a day off I will be able to post, looks like the middle of next week.