Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I saw on a previous post Siliconeintakes.com did not have in stock for the bending reducers to make the DIY intake, here are some additional sites that provide the same product:

http://www.turbohoses.com
http://www.siliconeintakes.com
http://www.stylinmotors.com/reducing_elbows.html
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/home.php?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Here is what the intake looks like now with the bracket that I have made. The bracket is made by bending and polishing a piece of 30mm aluminium. The pipe is 3" aluminium pipe that has been polished and attached to 3"silicone elbow. The filter is a 3" K@N dual cone.

And this is the way it sounds like in the car, initially I am driving at normal everyday spend and acceleration levels. Then I have opened it up a bit in an area of sufficient speed limit so you can hear the bypass valve and the turbo gulping the air in. During this video the drivers window was open and it was filmed from the passenger seat.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sailorliz23
By the dates on the dyno's the before one was in June 2007, after dyno on march 2008. If that's the case then it doesn't accurately showcase the power made from the DIY intake mod. If the dates are wrong and the dynos are the same day then good power gains.
Just a note from someone who has in the past lived in Europe for a good number of years, Europeans, and the rest of the world for that matter, write their dates as day/month/year. Today would be 13/04/2008.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh man... mutely... nice setup!

i can hear the stock bov and damn does it sound nice! i cant wait... this is killing me.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:11 AM
pillar
5th Gear
you think a lot of these dyi cais with 90 degree bends will fit with those typical strut bars? anyone with pics?

i ask because i know the jcw doesnt fit their intake unless you get the special jcw strut bar...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
you think a lot of these dyi cais with 90 degree bends will fit with those typical strut bars? anyone with pics?

i ask because i know the jcw doesnt fit their intake unless you get the special jcw strut bar...
With my home made CAI, the JCW strut brace fits just fine..

Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
I heard a rumor that exposed filters may mess with the air/fuel ratios on turbo cars. Has anyone running this type found that it threw out their AFR without ECU remapping?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
I heard a rumor that exposed filters may mess with the air/fuel ratios on turbo cars. Has anyone running this type found that it threw out their AFR without ECU remapping?
If you attach a filter directly to the MAF without a 90 degree bend I believe it may throw a codes.

Back in this thread it is mentioned a few times.

Also, check the R&D thread/website on ALTA's intake and I beleive you may also find some similar info.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I think one of the vendors here on NAM is selling a kit without the bend. It uses a custom K&N filter, though.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Motodude
1st Gear
I have been running an exposed K&N filter directly connected to the MAF with good results. It is a more direct method and have even shortened the intake hose. No CEL's, the turbo spools up quicker and got 38 mpg last tankful. Tried posting a picture, but my digital camera has too many megapixels and exceeds the attachment limit. Very clean installation though.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
pillar
5th Gear
anyone know where i can get some aliminum piping, 2x 3 inch OD, 2 inch in length? or would this be easier going to a local lowes. siliconeintakes is taking forever to restock their stuff and keep pusshing back their dates. i need to find two joiners for this thing...

Last edited by pillar; 04-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rippymcs
I think one of the vendors here on NAM is selling a kit without the bend. It uses a custom K&N filter, though.
We are considering it if there is interest. Here are the details:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=136905

So far no codes or issues with the air/fuel ratios. The key is making sure you don't have too much oil on the filter.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ukaussi
If you attach a filter directly to the MAF without a 90 degree bend I believe it may throw a codes.

Back in this thread it is mentioned a few times.

Also, check the R&D thread/website on ALTA's intake and I beleive you may also find some similar info.
I forgot to add that Australian Minis do not run a MAF, just two MAP sensors. i am a bit worried about AFR's and I think I need to arrange some dyno time soon. What do you all think about exposed pods on MAFless systems in regards to AFR's?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
I forgot to add that Australian Minis do not run a MAF, just two MAP sensors. i am a bit worried about AFR's and I think I need to arrange some dyno time soon. What do you all think about exposed pods on MAFless systems in regards to AFR's?
If the fueling is run by the wideband o2 sensor you should be better off than your MAF counterparts.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
anyone know where i can get some aliminum piping, 2x 3 inch OD, 2 inch in length? or would this be easier going to a local lowes. siliconeintakes is taking forever to restock their stuff and keep pusshing back their dates. i need to find two joiners for this thing...
I picked up a 3" ID to 3" ID SS pipe section at AutoZone. It will work for now. It was a little long, so I hack sawed (then smoothed) about 1" off of it. The whole thing was like $2. Do not get a 3" OD to 3" ID pipe, the 3" OD section of pipe would be about 3.25" in diameter. I know because I made that mistake.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tachicardia
I picked up a 3" ID to 3" ID SS pipe section at AutoZone. It will work for now. It was a little long, so I hack sawed (then smoothed) about 1" off of it. The whole thing was like $2. Do not get a 3" OD to 3" ID pipe, the 3" OD section of pipe would be about 3.25" in diameter. I know because I made that mistake.
a 3" OD to 3" ID? wait, how is that even possible.... am i incorrect to say that OD - Wall thickness = ID? i ordered mine online and went with aluminum. the outer diameter of the pipe is 3" and the wall is 0.065" thick, making the ID less than 3". i guess i wont know until i get it but it will be alright i hope. it was only 12 bucks which is a lot cheaper than most places online that sells the joiners for 18+ dollars...

when it gets here and i am wrong... i guess you can be the first person to say, "i told you so!"

Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Just out of curiosity. . .does anyone here feel that in the lower rpms it seems like there is more turbo lag and does not get up and go as much and that there is more power arond 4K rpms? I decided to clean my filter a couple of weeks prior, put on the stock system and noticed and increase in power at low rpms. I put my DIY intake back on the other day and it confirmed it for me that I feel a lag in the lower rpm range.

I wanted to post this as I wanted to see if any other DIYers had noticed the same thing.

I did notice a significant difference with gas mileage 4-5 mpg difference (better with DIY intake)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
a 3" OD to 3" ID? wait, how is that even possible.... am i incorrect to say that OD - Wall thickness = ID? i ordered mine online and went with aluminum. the outer diameter of the pipe is 3" and the wall is 0.065" thick, making the ID less than 3". i guess i wont know until i get it but it will be alright i hope. it was only 12 bucks which is a lot cheaper than most places online that sells the joiners for 18+ dollars...

when it gets here and i am wrong... i guess you can be the first person to say, "i told you so!"
It sounds like you ordered the right pipe, as the measured outer diameter is stated as being 3". The pipes I looked at were technically 'couplings' for exhausts so i think the labels refered to how the pipe would fit, not the actual measurements.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
Just out of curiosity. . .does anyone here feel that in the lower rpms it seems like there is more turbo lag and does not get up and go as much and that there is more power arond 4K rpms? I decided to clean my filter a couple of weeks prior, put on the stock system and noticed and increase in power at low rpms. I put my DIY intake back on the other day and it confirmed it for me that I feel a lag in the lower rpm range.

I wanted to post this as I wanted to see if any other DIYers had noticed the same thing.

I did notice a significant difference with gas mileage 4-5 mpg difference (better with DIY intake)
dont have one yet... but i will when i pick up my car this weeekend

but... hey, you win some you lose some. is the lag that bad that its not worth the up in mpg and sound? all personal opinion i guess

Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
it def feels like there is an increase in power at around 4K rpm but off the line feels not sluggish but not as responsive.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
it def feels like there is an increase in power at around 4K rpm but off the line feels not sluggish but not as responsive.
Probably because it is sucking in hot under hood air until vehicle movement allows air from the scoop to flush out hot air with cool air. My theory anyway as I have noticed the same thing.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
I've had my intake done for a few weeks now, and finally took a few minutes this weekend to think of a 'mounting' spot for it. I used one of the air boxes gromets with a bolt and a VERY home made bracket. I will test it out this way for a few weeks to see how she drives.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Murathan
1st Gear
I expended the hood scoop by carving it ( cut the bended lower side and carved the edges). Letting more air in definitely change the temperature under the hood and filter..

Last edited by Murathan; 04-28-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
Did you cut the actual sheet metal?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Murathan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tachicardia
Did you cut the actual sheet metal?
Yes, i cut the soft pitched metal. When you look through the hood scoop, there is a metal which blocks the view thats exactly what i removed..

Last edited by Murathan; 04-29-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)