Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain A Young MCS driver has a dilemma....Exhaust VS. Intake VS. P

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 05:46 PM
BrtshRceGr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to rehash a question that has been asked waayyyy too many times in this forum, so I'm gonna try to put a little different spin on it. I'm a 17 year old MCS owner, and I'm ready for my first mod. I assumed that the exhaust would be the way to go, until I discovered the mysterious world of supercharger pulleys.

So my question is (and forgetting about the warranty issue for a moment):
If someone like myself had between $600-700 to spend (not including labor) on my first mod, should I do an exhaust system or a pulley and an intake? Also, which brands would you recommend? As far as the exhaust goes, I think I've narrowed it down between the Magnaflow and the Quicksilver.

Thanks for all of your help, and I'll make sure to keep all of you updated on my project.

Happy Motoring, Brian

Old 04-11-2003, 07:29 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mod you'll love the most, even if you could do all of them, is the exhaust. Dont worry about how much power it makes, pick the one that looks the best to you and sounds the best to you and you'll smile every time you start your car.

--
Cheese

Old 04-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
Counterpoint - Get the pulley; power, pure and simple. You'll smile every time you press on the go pedal :smile:

Old 04-11-2003, 08:52 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
Buy the intake,I like the Rogue.It will take you 45 minutes,even if you're not mechanical.Gives you nice hp gain at low dollars and doesn't void the warrenty.I have the quicksilver exhaust.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:09 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
I think my car is similar to mikehome1's. QS exhaust and Madness/Rogue intake. I also did Randy's intake mod for more air. I love this combination of mods. Now about the pulley. You can do the pulley in about 7 hours, the problem is if you want it right, not running rich for example, you've got to buy a package of pulley and ECU changes. They have to be matched because the fuel delivery curve has to change with the pulley. All this is still being tested. Some tuners think they have it solved but my info is that there are still some things to be worked out.

My next move is the throttle body and there were some last minute issues with that also. I think the throttle body will be ready for release in a week or two.

My advice, do the stuff that's fully tested.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Counter-counter point...not knowing the person who asked this question..Hi, by the way :smile: ....it's hard to call it. I can only gather information from your post. The one thing that hits me most is your age......aaaah 17, I almost remember that far back

Old 04-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
You DO NOT NEED a matched ECU with the pulley. The car runs richer stock so the richness is NOT AN ISSUE. However, a matched ECU (none exist right now, unless you get the full Hartge package) does get you more power so it is a good next step after installing the pulley only.

For the money, you simply can't match the power gains from the pulley with any other mods at the same price. So, if maximizing power is your goal then the pulley is the way to go.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:43 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Sleepless, that's fine with me except that I dont't want to find out that I really need a different pulley when the ECU thing gets figured out. That's a lot of work. Believe me I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have mods to do to my car, but I'm waiting basically on the ECU fixes. I've done most everything else, intake, exhaust, sway, lowered. I just don't want to do the pulley twice. Nice vids by the way!

Old 04-12-2003, 12:31 AM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
>>I think my car is similar to mikehome1's. QS exhaust and Madness/Rogue intake. I also did Randy's intake mod for more air. I love this combination of mods. Now about the pulley. You can do the pulley in about 7 hours, the problem is if you want it right, not running rich for example, you've got to buy a package of pulley and ECU changes. They have to be matched because the fuel delivery curve has to change with the pulley. All this is still being tested. Some tuners think they have it solved but my info is that there are still some things to be worked out.
>>
>>My next move is the throttle body and there were some last minute issues with that also. I think the throttle body will be ready for release in a week or two.
>>
>>
>>My advice, do the stuff that's fully tested.

The pulley install is down to about 3 hours guys and is not too bad. Personally i would do the pulley. Its a nice gain + the supercharger sounds awesome. You may even have cash left over for the Intake. Still no competition to the Rogue filter in terms of flow.

Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 AM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
>>Sleepless, that's fine with me except that I dont't want to find out that I really need a different pulley when the ECU thing gets figured out. That's a lot of work. Believe me I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have mods to do to my car, but I'm waiting basically on the ECU fixes. I've done most everything else, intake, exhaust, sway, lowered. I just don't want to do the pulley twice. Nice vids by the way!

There is only really one pulley 15% reduction. You cant go smaller due to the shaft and bolt alan points. Everyone including JCW has the same size unless its a 10% reduction (not really worth it). I am getting a ECU modified just for the Pulley next week. Stock ECU runs very rich and sucks about 5 mpg more with the pulley.

This should be fixed with the new ECU but you dont have to have it.

Old 04-12-2003, 04:42 AM
jlm
6th Gear
a few facts:
1. the P&D pulley can be changed back to stock (or any other size) in about 1/2 hr without having to go through the install process all over again.
2. sleepless has it right; the car runs way rich in stock trim, less rich, but still too rich with the pulley; ( a chip mod will only make everything better);
3. i have changed many things on my car and the pulley far and away gives you the best hp for the $; the best seat of the pants results over the entire power range; will only produce power when you need it (WOT) and is completely un-noticeable otherwise, including gas consumption behaviour.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:47 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>> You can do the pulley in about 7 hours, the problem is if you want it right, not running rich for example, you've got to buy a package of pulley and ECU changes. They have to be matched because the fuel delivery curve has to change with the pulley. All this is still being tested. Some tuners think they have it solved but my info is that there are still some things to be worked out.
>>

I don't get where people are getting this false info from and then sticking to it like glue. No such thing. A good ECU (when available) will make performance better as it will no matter what mods you have. But there is no reliability or gas issues b/c of the stock ECU with the pulley.

My advice, IGNORING THAT YOU ARE ONLY 17, would be pulley and intake. Get the Madness intake - good sound and power increase and good price with a super easy install - I've never worked on a car before (or much else besides furniture) and did it in 12-15 minutes. A few screws and you're done!

The pulley installed could cost under $500. So together WITH labor you are talking $750 tops for pulley and intake parts AND installation.

They beat the exhaust b/c no droning issues (Magnaflow), no losing dual tips (quicksilver) and believe it or not, the pulley will add some very pleasant loudness to the MINI - both under the hood AND in the exhaust. AND the pulley will change the note of the exhaust - it is actually a deeper, lower tone - less tinny sounding. It actually sounds like you added an exhaust except there is no drone and you saved yourself six or seven hundred bucks!

Sure you may smile everytime you start the car with the exhaust, but unless you floor your MINI, you won't feel the difference. They only add horses (and not much torque) if you're at WOT. If not, there's not much difference. THe pulley, however, will give you more boost at all RPMs and will get rid of any first gear hesitation and will give you much more torque which is what we're all really after. The power difference is really amazing. The first time you drive it with the new pulley, you'll have to adjust to driving the MINI all over again. B/c instead of pulling at 3k RPMs, you'll be pulling hard starting at around 2300 RPMs. That makes a tremendous difference in day to day driving. You can now leave it in a gear higher and take curves or tight turns without downing shifting if you don't feel like it. And you also "get back" 6th gear. You no longer have to go 80mph or higher to go into 6th and have power. In fact, you can even pass people rapidly while in 6th gear! And if you donwshift to 5th or 4th...LOOK OUT!

The pulley plus intake will give you around 20 horses and torque. The magnaflow & pulley will give you close to the horse power but probably only half the torque. And you won't feel it with the exhaust unless you're gunning it all the time. The pulley will move the torque curve to the left giving you lots of power earlier.

Another benefit I love is having the stealth look. With the pulley and intake, all my mods are under the bonnet. The only clue that tells people "something is up" is my HELIX MINISPORTS sticker on my rear left window. But with the stock exhaust, it doesn't look modified. Being 30, I love that. But at 17, you may want the world to see you're modified and hear you coming. So maybe the sound and sight of the exhaust will be more important to you than useable power. Something to think about....

As far as gas mileage goes, I've not noticed a 5mpg loss as MCSHP stated. As a matter of fact, I've noticed INCREASED gas mileage on longer highway trips. I don't know why or what this is about but hey - I'm not complaining. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Now that I've had the pulley on for a few weeks, I have noticed a SLIGHT decrease in overall gas mileage. But most of my everyday driving is city-type driving and when I get on a highway, it's rarely more than 5 or 6 minutes and I accelerate fast getting on and drive very fast while I'm on the highway. So I don't drive much for good fuel economy. I'd say my overall MPG has gone done 1 MPG. Yes, that's it - 1 MPG!!! And if you take into consideration that I drive the car harder and accelerate faster and use the pulley a lot (how can you not?!), I don't think I'm getting worse mileage! In other words, I think I'm getting slightly less mileage because I'm driving harder and faster. That alone would probably account for MORE than 1 MPG!!!

So in summary, my car is stealth but sounds way cooler and louder (in a great way!) than stock while giving me MUCH MORE useable, noticeable power all for about the same gas mileage as before!!!

Old 04-12-2003, 07:01 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Your 17, Your still in HS, and you probably would like to show off to your friends and proably the girls too... the best way to do that is with the exhaust... try telling a girl that you have modified your Supercharger pulley to get more Boost which inturn gets you more Horse Power... I think it's easier for her to walk up to you and say.... "I like the sound of your car " We gotta remember the age here... And if that is not your case, go with the intake and Pulley.. My recomendation would be of coure the Mini Pilo Intake that will be available in a couple weeks. Check the Sig! Good Luck with your decision, and Wish I had a New car when I was 17.. Not too bad though I got it now that I'm 21

Old 04-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
what? wanting to get chicks is no reason to make your car louder. you should do it because you want to, not to impress girls. thats such a bad reason to do a mod on your car. i personally would prefer the power over the show... i dont give a crap if anyone is impresssed with my car, if its fast and makes me happy when i drive it thats all i need. and should be all you need.
girls are just gonna say "its cute" anyway....

>>Your 17, Your still in HS, and you probably would like to show off to your friends and proably the girls too... the best way to do that is with the exhaust... try telling a girl that you have modified your Supercharger pulley to get more Boost which inturn gets you more Horse Power... I think it's easier for her to walk up to you and say.... "I like the sound of your car " We gotta remember the age here... And if that is not your case, go with the intake and Pulley.. My recomendation would be of coure the Mini Pilo Intake that will be available in a couple weeks. Check the Sig! Good Luck with your decision, and Wish I had a New car when I was 17.. Not too bad though I got it now that I'm 21

Old 04-12-2003, 08:29 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
My advice is uncork the engine first. Let it breath...intake and exhaust...

Old 04-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Zsemba
Neutral
Hi,
I have all 3 on my MCS and she rocks. I would recommend a pully and an air intake. The exhaust is so expensive. With your budget you could do both of these plus labour. With the pully installed my boost increased 5-7 psi depending on the temp outside. The exhaust sounds good but costs a lot to do properly. I went with the BMP intake since it looks the best and I believe is under rated when compared to the other intakes. Have a good time with your MSC.

Old 04-12-2003, 08:52 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
Spend a few dollars autocrossing or attending a driver's school. You learn a lot and have a hell of a good time. The car rocks as it is. Plus you get to learn its safely. Do this first.

Old 04-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Puffs
2nd Gear
>>Spend a few dollars autocrossing or attending a driver's school. You learn a lot and have a hell of a good time. The car rocks as it is. Plus you get to learn its safely. Do this first.

This is the best advice so far.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
I have to agree with SteveS and Puffs. While it's not a direct answer to the original question, a driver's school is a way better investment than any of the other three.

The investment of time and money in a driver's school will help ensure that you and your MCS are still in one piece and on the road a year from now. The performance mods will only have the opposite effect if you don't first get the driving skills.

And remember, on a twisty road, the inexperienced driver of a modded MCS would eat the dust of a driver with "real" driving skills at the wheel of a stock MCS; probably a stock MC as well.

Oh and one more thing..... Don't think because it's called a "school" means it's not fun. A driver's school is a great experience; one you'll not soon forget, and never regret.

Best of luck to you,

James

Old 04-12-2003, 11:41 AM
BrtshRceGr
1st Gear
>>Spend a few dollars autocrossing or attending a driver's school. You learn a lot and have a hell of a good time. The car rocks as it is. Plus you get to learn its safely. Do this first.

You're absolutely preaching to the choir...I've done two "schools" at Mid-Ohio (about an hour drive from my hometown Cleveland) and I can absolutely say that they were the most incredible experience I have ever had! I even did them in my MCS, which MORE than kept up with the modified RSX type-S cars that the school uses. So, fellow posters, have no fear, I have attended driving schools and have a lot more experience than most of my fellow 17 year olds...and any of my friends can tell you that I am a more than cautious driver on the street!

In fact, these mods that I'm proposing are partially prompted because I hope to do some SOLO this summer, and also get on track with a friend of mine who's a Land Rover mechanic, part-time ALMS driver, and Triumph Spitfire Le Mans, Diasio, and seriously track prepared MCS driver.

And actually, I'm heading over to see him right now to see if I can get his perspective on the issue; I'll let ya know what his feelings are.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Brian

Old 04-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Brian,

From your last post, you sound like a very level-headed mature 17 year-old; more than I can say for myself at that age. I congratulate you.

Sounds like pulley time to me!

"Right then. Carry on."

Old 04-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I say do the intake and exhaust, thats all I'm doing. I like the pulley idea, but its kind of an extensive installation, especially if you don't have the right tools (I do, but I'm not gonna bother).

Old 04-13-2003, 09:24 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Brian,

I think you got a wide range of responses because for did not mention what you're trying to accomplish with the mod. What is you goal? What are the weaknesses you're trying to improve?

You're after modding your car for:

1) around town performance?
2) for racing? If so what weakness do you think your MCS has?
3) so the car sounds cooler?
4) so the car looks cooler?
5) the sake of having a mod?
6) Fill in the blank ________________________ .

Old 04-13-2003, 08:20 PM
beshaw
2nd Gear
Hey there,

All these mods are REQUIRED !!!!!
lol
It's just an issue of WHEN you're going to ge them not IF.
You MUST do the pully.
However the pully mod won't show all of it's potential till
you also do the intake and exhaust.

So ... do you eat your dinner one food group at a time
or gobble it all up at once?

Old 04-13-2003, 09:23 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend the pulley from a strict performance gain to dollar point of view. For getting the girls, I agree with some of the above advice on the exhaust (a loud one ).

Randy
720-841-1002

Quick Reply: Drivetrain A Young MCS driver has a dilemma....Exhaust VS. Intake VS. P