Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhausts for the non-S crowd

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:57 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the discussion I've seen on this site comparing exhausts pertains to the systems available for the S. I own a Cooper and am considering an exhaust system. My goal is to get the extra hp without significant additional volume. I don't want the car to be really loud either at neighborhood speeds or at highway speeds. It sounds like the Magnaflow won't suit my needs, so I'm wondering about the comparative volume of the other systems (Remus, Borla, Rogue). It sounds like the Remus might best suit my needs. Does anyone have the single Remus exhaust for the MC? Randy, if you're reading this, I'm wondering if you have a specific reason (fit, etc.) for not carrying the Remus.

And before anyone chimes in with "why didn't you just buy an S?", I didn't buy an S because fuel economy is a far more important factor for me than hp when purchasing a vehicle.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,
I would also recommend you take a look at the Cooper Exhaust built by RSpeed. You can see the article we ran on it here as well as visit their site here

Old 02-03-2003, 04:37 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Most of the discussion I've seen on this site comparing exhausts pertains to the systems available for the S. I own a Cooper and am considering an exhaust system. My goal is to get the extra hp without significant additional volume. I don't want the car to be really loud either at neighborhood speeds or at highway speeds. It sounds like the Magnaflow won't suit my needs, so I'm wondering about the comparative volume of the other systems (Remus, Borla, Rogue). It sounds like the Remus might best suit my needs. Does anyone have the single Remus exhaust for the MC? Randy, if you're reading this, I'm wondering if you have a specific reason (fit, etc.) for not carrying the Remus.
>>
>>And before anyone chimes in with "why didn't you just buy an S?", I didn't buy an S because fuel economy is a more important factor for me than hp when purchasing a vehicle. Am I correct in understanding that an aftermarket exhaust will add hp without a corresponding drop in fuel economy? Obviously I am relatively new to this topic.

I have access to the Remus, but I haven't installed it on a car, and have no objective info on it, so I don't carry it yet.

Gabriel Bridger has the system on his car, and is very happy with it. I just don't have that many Cooper customers, and my car is an S, so the development and testing data on Cooper systems is a little tougher to get.

I had a chance to take a look at the RSpeed system this weekend. It is absolutely beautiful. The sound is very nice - mellow, but better than stock. The fit and finish are excellent.

I haven't had the system on the dyno, but it made a "seat of the pants" difference. I believe that RSpeed has dyno'ed the system, but there haven't been any objective dynos out there yet.

After seeing the system, I would have no problem recommending it. It is truly a work of art.

Peter, if you're listening, NICE JOB!

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 02-04-2003, 06:19 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks for the tips guys. I had forgotten about that RSpeed one - it looks great! I'd love to hear more opinions on it from people who have actually put it on their car. Only 24 pounds, too! Also attractive is that it's only $500, and the Remus is only $400... Anyone have experience with the volume of the Remus both at low and high speeds/rpms?

Also, I'm still wondering about the fuel economy bit - by removing restrictions inherent in the factory design, can an aftermarket exhaust actually improve hp/torque without lowering the fuel economy of the vehicle?

Randy, I never thought I would attempt a project as substantial as an exhaust install, but those how-tos really seem to put it within reach! Thanks again for all the help!

Old 02-04-2003, 07:48 AM
8ball
6th Gear
>>>>
>>Also, I'm still wondering about the fuel economy bit - ......

Fuel economy is largely a matter of self control ... if you have a car that'll do 0-60 in 30 seconds and you mod it by allowing it to breath better so that it now has the potential to do 0-60 in 10 seconds, you have to burn fuel to actually get that time; if your aim was to get power you pay for it with more gas consumption - if your aim was for better milage, a side benifit is more power but you have to drive it the way it was driven before - - - keep your foot off the gas and continue to do 0-60 in 30 seconds.
That's the myth of the 'better milage' mod's: the power is there and in a car like a MINI, very few of us can restrain ourselves and avoid sinking the foot just a little farther into the Loud pedal ... as they used to say, "The problem is in the Software ..."

Old 02-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Randy said I do have the Remus system on my car. Remus is made in Austria and is the OEM manufacturer Mercedes and I believe some other Euro companies. I managed to buy it off someone who decided to go with Borla after he had ordered the Remus. Long story short he decided to sell it to me rather than deal with trying to take it back.

I've been totally pleased with the exhuast note - both on the highway and around town. You can check out my full review here

Old 02-04-2003, 09:33 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Gabe - thanks very much. I think I had actually read that on your site and then forgotten where I had seen it. I probably won't be looking to purchase an exhaust for at least a month or two, but this is some great info that will come in handy. Like you, I wasn't thinking of upgrading the exhaust when I bought the car, but at that point I didn't realize how affordable the systems themselves were, and how relatively uncomplicated the install was. I like that the Remus is made from stainless steel. It's much easier to justify the cost if the system will last longer than the stock.

Still wondering about volume on the Rogue and Borla exhausts for the Cooper...

Old 02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
6f7
4th Gear
Is anyone running a MC (no S) with a magnaflow? After seeing the numbers for the MCS, I'm leaning towards the magnaflow when the time comes.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:15 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I e-mailed RSpeed to ask about whether or not their exhaust for the Cooper is all stainless steel (it is), and about whether or not sound clips were available. Their response: "We are working on the sound today in fact - hope to have the sound files up online here in a couple days."

They also said: "We are exhaust fans - meaning, we like it to look good and perform well. These are made in germany by a manufacturer who we commissioned who in fact makes Porsche exhausts."

I don't know how I will decide between the RSpeed and Remus. They both seem very solid, well-made, lightweight, and nice-sounding without being obnoxiously loud. Similar power, too (5-7%).

Old 02-06-2003, 07:58 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
>>I had a chance to take a look at the RSpeed system this weekend. It is absolutely beautiful. The sound is very nice - mellow, but better than stock. The fit and finish are excellent.
>>
>>I haven't had the system on the dyno, but it made a "seat of the pants" difference. I believe that RSpeed has dyno'ed the system, but there haven't been any objective dynos out there yet.
>>
>>After seeing the system, I would have no problem recommending it. It is truly a work of art.
>>
>>Peter, if you're listening, NICE JOB!

Randy - Thank you for the kind compliments on our exhaust system for the Cooper. We did spend quite a bit of time on the R&D on this exhaust and a lot of time went into the dyno of this system. However, we wanted to make an exhaust that had a quality above that of the factory system and as you have seen the final product, (we also think) is a work of art. We concentrated a lot on the driveavbility and the character of the sound. We wanted a system that had a good sound yet be conservative based on the driver's input - meaning, if you drive mild mannerly, it would sound factory-like. If you step on the gas, it comes alive with a sporty sound (somthing of which is very addictive).

The dyno we posted illustrates a conservative average of a number of runs. We hope that end consumers will take the initiative and post some of their dynos as well to provide truly objective dynos.

The system has a great sound and I hope to get some sound files and videos posted soon. The weather here has been not so good for our recordings, but will notify MCO and the forum when it is completed.

-Peter Brusa/RSpeed Inc. http://www.rspeed.net

Old 02-06-2003, 08:17 AM
nfo
6th Gear
i was at my dealer yesterday and looked at the new factory catalog...
have you guys seen the new factory cooper sport exhaust?
it was priced in the $600 range which seems pretty expensive....

Old 02-06-2003, 08:19 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Peter,

Those numbers are actually pretty good for the Cooper. The Cooper is tough to make power above and beyond stock.

I'll see if I can get a video of the system with some sound as well. We have the same problem here with the weather lately - it has scrubbed all of the track testing we had planned for this week, and has actually put me behind schedule in some product launches - bummer. Who would have expected snow in February (thick sarcastic undertone)?!?

Again, nice job - the effort you guys put into the system is obvious.

Randy

Old 02-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
Glad that I saw this thread....I thought I would have to make a new one. I just got back from picking my MC up for service, and I got the new Motoring Accessories book. It looks like MINI is ready to step it up a notch in bringing out some great mods, including the sports exhaust. Below is a picture of the page, which features the exhaust, with my Service Manager's scrawl for total installation price.

I asked him about an intake to go with this, and he said it is still in the works. It's CF based, and they are probably working on the heat related issues right now, but it is rumored that the exhaust-intake combo will give the MC 156hp. I told him that "this is quite a claim" for only these two mods, but he was steadfast in what he has heard. He said that this exhaust was a lot more throatier. I asked him about putting on an aftermarket intake with this exhaust, and he told me that it would void the engine/tranny warrenty. I said that I have heard many people doing it and other MINI service managers saying that it was okay. He replied that MINI cannot stand behind anything that they don't manufacture, so if I put an intake on the MC and it ends up having any sort of engine troubles, or tranny problems, then MINI will attribute it to the part on the car that they didn't approve. I'm sure MINI would try to get out of paying for any repairs that they can, if they can attribute it to something they didn't put on the car. Anyways...this is another thread. Check out the photo.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Casey
5th Gear
Supersprint also makes a system for the cooper and is suppose to be pretty nice...a friend of mine at the local dealership is installing it shortly on his Cooper. I'll get him to post on here when he does.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:49 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
"I asked him about putting on an aftermarket intake with this exhaust, and he told me that it would void the engine/tranny warrenty."

He's full of feces. Unless the intake malfunctions or comes apart or isn't cleaned or just lets crap through, there's no reason to attribute any engine problems to it. He just wants you to buy their stuff.

An air intake voiding the transmission warranty?

Old 02-06-2003, 08:50 AM
nfo
6th Gear
hey Meenee.Coopah....
you got beat to the punch...read above....thanks for the pic!
seems really expensive though right?????

Old 02-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
I know where I'm going after work - straight to the dealer to the dealer to get that brochure. Thanks guys.

>>hey Meenee.Coopah....
>>you got beat to the punch...read above....thanks for the pic!
>>seems really expensive though right?????

Old 02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
nfo
6th Gear
hahaha....
what dealer are you going to gabe?
i saw it at patrick...

Old 02-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
Just to let you know, I don't buy that 156hp deal...I just thought it was interesting that he said that. I spoke to Randy and he told me that the exhaust and intake could never void your warrenty because of a law to protect the consumer. I'm really quite ignorant about this stuff, but hey...that's what I heard, so Meenee is just passing it along.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
I work not far from Knauz (also where I got my car) so I'll try them first. I need to pick up some stuff for an oil change on my 325i anyway.

>>hahaha....
>>what dealer are you going to gabe?
>>i saw it at patrick...

Old 02-06-2003, 09:17 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
>>I asked him about an intake to go with this, and he said it is still in the works. It's CF based, and they are probably working on the heat related issues right now, but it is rumored that the exhaust-intake combo will give the MC 156hp. I told him that "this is quite a claim" for only these two mods, but he was steadfast in what he has heard. He said that this exhaust was a lot more throatier. I asked him about putting on an aftermarket intake with this exhaust, and he told me that it would void the engine/tranny warrenty. I said that I have heard many people doing it and other MINI service managers saying that it was okay. He replied that MINI cannot stand behind anything that they don't manufacture, so if I put an intake on the MC and it ends up having any sort of engine troubles, or tranny problems, then MINI will attribute it to the part on the car that they didn't approve. I'm sure MINI would try to get out of paying for any repairs that they can, if they can attribute it to something they didn't put on the car. Anyways...this is another thread. Check out the photo.
>>

I posted this before when this issue came up - but here is everything you need to know should you have any question about your warranty and after market parts. We as consumers have rights and you all should know about this. Visit http://www.sema.org to know more or check out Your Car and the Law: Warranty Denied?.

-Peter/RSpeed

1011 S Marietta Pkwy, Ste 4
Marietta GA 30060
1-888-551-0025
2002 Mini Jet Black with Tartan Red

Old 02-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
OK, since we've veered off into the intake topic:

Peter Why does Rspeed's intake say that it is only for Coopers with a manual tranny?

Old 02-06-2003, 09:34 AM
nfo
6th Gear
good one mini2go....
i was wondering the same thing....
glad there are so many of us cvt people around!

Old 02-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Thanks Peter.

BTW I just added your link to my site (bridger.us/mini) - I can't believe I didn't have you up there already - sorry about that.

>>>>I asked him about an intake to go with this, and he said it is still in the works. It's CF based, and they are probably working on the heat related issues right now, but it is rumored that the exhaust-intake combo will give the MC 156hp. I told him that "this is quite a claim" for only these two mods, but he was steadfast in what he has heard. He said that this exhaust was a lot more throatier. I asked him about putting on an aftermarket intake with this exhaust, and he told me that it would void the engine/tranny warrenty. I said that I have heard many people doing it and other MINI service managers saying that it was okay. He replied that MINI cannot stand behind anything that they don't manufacture, so if I put an intake on the MC and it ends up having any sort of engine troubles, or tranny problems, then MINI will attribute it to the part on the car that they didn't approve. I'm sure MINI would try to get out of paying for any repairs that they can, if they can attribute it to something they didn't put on the car. Anyways...this is another thread. Check out the photo.
>>>>
>>
>>I posted this before when this issue came up - but here is everything you need to know should you have any question about your warranty and after market parts. We as consumers have rights and you all should know about this. Visit http://www.sema.org to know more or check out Your Car and the Law: Warranty Denied?.
>>
>>-Peter/RSpeed
>>
>>_________________
>>R*Speed Mini
>>Accessories*Performance*World Class Service
>>http://www.rspeed.net
>>1011 S Marietta Pkwy, Ste 4
>>Marietta GA 30060
>>1-888-551-0025
>>2002 Mini Jet Black with Tartan Red

Old 02-06-2003, 09:55 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
>>OK, since we've veered off into the intake topic:
>>
>>Peter Why does Rspeed's intake say that it is only for Coopers with a manual tranny?

Well, compliments of Mini, they used a different engine mount for A/T Minis - the manual Miinis use a smaller one that allows the filter to be used. I assume if you find a smaller filter from K&N, you can use it with no problems. I think Mini will be using a new engine mount in 2005 - but not official.

-Peter/Rspeed

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Exhausts for the non-S crowd