Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cold air intake and pulley q's????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake and pulley q's????

I have looked up to get a little upgrade for my MCS and thought about a cold air intake and possibly a pulley upgrade. Here are few strange questions. On the cold air intake, it looks like most cold air intakes I have seen seem to quite possible get only hot air as they are not even close to get COLD air from the scoop or anywhere else. So does that upgrade really make sense? And on the pulley, why a smaller or why a larger one? What does each do? And does the pulley change hurt the waterpump?
Cheers,
Herbert

Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
the ALTA intake gets cold air from the ram air tube... black thing in grill area and also from the cowl area... so not to much from engine compartment. I can't speak for the rest but I like my ALTA!

-Josh

Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
400ex
2nd Gear
The idea of taking in cooler air to make horsepower is lost in this application. Because we are taking that air and running through a supercharger thus reheating it. The intakes that make horsepower on the MINI are doing so because they are more free flowing. Andy's HAI proved that.

Smaller supercharger pulley spins supercharger faster.
Larger crank pulley apparently does the same.

You are spinning the waterpump faster, is that hurting it ? Uh, I don't know !

Try doing a search on water pump cavitation. This is one of many threads.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ump+cavitation

Old 09-19-2005, 08:08 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
U know!!

U would think that by now "CAI's" would not be marketed for forced induction motors....i might be goin' overboard w/this!?!?
Originally Posted by 400ex
The idea of taking in cooler air to make horsepower is lost in this application. Because we are taking that air and running through a supercharger thus reheating it. The intakes that make horsepower on the MINI are doing so because they are more free flowing. Andy's HAI proved that.

Smaller supercharger pulley spins supercharger faster.
Larger crank pulley apparently does the same.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:25 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While it is true that the supercharger will heat the intake air through compression, it is not true that it doesn't matter what the intake temp is. The air through the s/c can be calculated using this formula:

Temp Rise = Inlet Temp + Inlet Temp multiplied by pressure ratio to the .0263 power -1 all divided by comperssor efficiency

Pressure is absolute pressure (boost plus 14.7 on a standard day) divided by atmospheric pressure. Temp is Rankin scale, roughly add 460 to Fahrenheit I think. Plug in a number less than one for compressor efficiency, and do the math (Andy should like this one!). Let's use 12 psi as our boost, and 80F for the first inlet temp.

So, you take 80F + 460 to get 540R

Outlet temp = 540 + 540[(1.82^.263)-1]/.73

Outlet temp = 540+540(.17)/.73

Outlet temp = 665.7R - 460 = 205.8F

Now let's look at a 100F inlet temp and see what the change is:

100F + 460 = 560R

Outlet temp = 560 + 560[(1.82^.263)-1]/.73

Outlet temp = 560 + 560(.17)/.73

Outlet temp = 690.4R - 460 = 230.4F

What you find is that the inlet temp is even more important on a force induced car than a normally aspirated car. The outlet temp delta (24.6F) was more than the inlet temp delta (only 20F).

The Alta intake takes its air from the cowl area as well as the black ram tube, and uses a heat shield to enclose itself from the hot air of the engine compartment. It also uses silicaon as a tube to the throttle body which is much more heat resistant than the aluminum tubing used on some of the intakes. It is a cold air intake, and on the dyno, makes more than any of the intakes I've tested to date, including the "hot air intake".

Hope that helps!
Randy

Last edited by RandyBMC; 09-19-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:30 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by Moskito
I have looked up to get a little upgrade for my MCS and thought about a cold air intake and possibly a pulley upgrade. Here are few strange questions. On the cold air intake, it looks like most cold air intakes I have seen seem to quite possible get only hot air as they are not even close to get COLD air from the scoop or anywhere else. So does that upgrade really make sense? And on the pulley, why a smaller or why a larger one? What does each do? And does the pulley change hurt the waterpump?
Cheers,
Herbert
Here's a link for some reading:

Webb Motorsports FAQ

And another:

15% Pulley

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 06:22 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Randy,

You seem to have forgotten that we have an intercooler. See this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=25654

I measured a 5 degree F difference in air temp inside the filter compared to ambient at 80F on the highway. I doubt the stock even does that well.

Where are your dyno results showing the Alta making more power than the HAI?

Originally Posted by RandyBMC
While it is true that the supercharger will heat the intake air through compression, it is not true that it doesn't matter what the intake temp is. The air through the s/c can be calculated using this formula:

Temp Rise = Inlet Temp + Inlet Temp multiplied by pressure ratio to the .0263 power -1 all divided by comperssor efficiency

Pressure is absolute pressure (boost plus 14.7 on a standard day) divided by atmospheric pressure. Temp is Rankin scale, roughly add 460 to Fahrenheit I think. Plug in a number less than one for compressor efficiency, and do the math (Andy should like this one!). Let's use 12 psi as our boost, and 80F for the first inlet temp.

So, you take 80F + 460 to get 540R

Outlet temp = 540 + 540[(1.82^.263)-1]/.73

Outlet temp = 540+540(.17)/.73

Outlet temp = 665.7R - 460 = 205.8F

Now let's look at a 100F inlet temp and see what the change is:

100F + 460 = 560R

Outlet temp = 560 + 560[(1.82^.263)-1]/.73

Outlet temp = 560 + 560(.17)/.73

Outlet temp = 690.4R - 460 = 230.4F

What you find is that the inlet temp is even more important on a force induced car than a normally aspirated car. The outlet temp delta (24.6F) was more than the inlet temp delta (only 20F).

The Alta intake takes its air from the cowl area as well as the black ram tube, and uses a heat shield to enclose itself from the hot air of the engine compartment. It also uses silicaon as a tube to the throttle body which is much more heat resistant than the aluminum tubing used on some of the intakes. It is a cold air intake, and on the dyno, makes more than any of the intakes I've tested to date, including the "hot air intake".

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 AM
asterix2112
2nd Gear
After a long day of driving I put my hand into the compartment where my Alta intake is and it is nice and warm, not much above outside temp. I then put my hand in outside of the heat shield in the engine, and it is hot has hell! So I think the better term would really be 'fresh air' intake, or 'ambient air' intake.

- John

Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
sounds much better then "COLD"

Originally Posted by asterix2112
After a long day of driving I put my hand into the compartment where my Alta intake is and it is nice and warm, not much above outside temp. I then put my hand in outside of the heat shield in the engine, and it is hot has hell! So I think the better term would really be 'fresh air' intake, or 'ambient air' intake.

- John

Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Randy,

You seem to have forgotten that we have an intercooler. See this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=25654

I measured a 5 degree F difference in air temp inside the filter compared to ambient at 80F on the highway. I doubt the stock even does that well.

Where are your dyno results showing the Alta making more power than the HAI?
I will have to get the software and put all of the dyno runs on a disk so you can read them. It is on my list.

I didn't forget that we had an intercooler Andy. The person, 400ex, was making a point saying that the inlet temp of a force induced car doesn't matter - something widely belived that certainly isn't true.

If your inlet temp to the intercooler is lower, than the outlet temp from the intercooler will be that much lower - again depending on efficiency. My point was that it does matter what the intake temperature is. That won't be intercooler dependent.

I will post those dynos soon. Do you have any comparison dyno runs of the two with the bonnet closed and a fan on the front of the car? It makes sense that the car would make power if you have the bonnet open and are blowing air right on the throttle body....

Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 07:50 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
I will have to get the software and put all of the dyno runs on a disk so you can read them. It is on my list.

I didn't forget that we had an intercooler Andy. The person, 400ex, was making a point saying that the inlet temp of a force induced car doesn't matter - something widely belived that certainly isn't true.

If your inlet temp to the intercooler is lower, than the outlet temp from the intercooler will be that much lower - again depending on efficiency. My point was that it does matter what the intake temperature is. That won't be intercooler dependent.
You should really read that thread I linked. Your calculations didn't take into account the fact that the intercooler is removing a percentage of the temperature difference between charge temp and ambient (nor did they take into account the thermal efficiency of the intercooler). My testing has shown that 70% efficiency is a good rule of thumb for the stock IC under most real-world conditions. In your example, you had:

80F air at the filter:
Outlet temp = 205.8F
Difference from ambient = 125.8F
Intercooler outlet temp = 125.8F * (1-0.70) + 80F = 117.7F

100F air at the filte:
Outlet temp = 230.4F
Difference from ambient = 150.4F
Intercooler outlet temp = 150.4F * (1-0.70) + 80F = 125.1F

So, in the two scenarios, the difference in the temp of the air in the filter is 20F yet the difference in the temp of the air leaving the intercooler is only 7.4F. Hence, "cold air" matters more in a system without an intercooler (like a MC) than it does in system with an intercooler (like an MCS)

I will post those dynos soon. Do you have any comparison dyno runs of the two with the bonnet closed and a fan on the front of the car? It makes sense that the car would make power if you have the bonnet open and are blowing air right on the throttle body....

Randy
Nope. I haven't claimed to have any dynos showing the HAI outperforming anything.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:54 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
OK, fair enough, but the point is still valid, no? If you have a colder intake temp, the end result will be a more dense intake charge, intercooler or not.

I'll get the dyno runs up shortly. Anyone else have a dyno run showing an improvement wiht the HAI? I am just curious, not being antagonistic.

Thanks!
Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 08:02 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
OK, fair enough, but the point is still valid, no? If you have a colder intake temp, the end result will be a more dense intake charge, intercooler or not.
Nope, your point was not valid:

It is true that cooler temps going into the intake manifold make a denser charge, and hence more power. However, if you achieve these lower temps at the expense of air pressure (due to a more restrictive intake arrangement) then you end up with a net loss. Note that my testing showed temperatures INSIDE THE FILTER of only 5 F over ambient at highway speed. That is not "hot" at all and I suspect (will do testing on it next week) that the stock intake is no better and in fact may be WORSE than the HAI in terms of how hot the air is as it gets to the throttle body.

Seriously, you should read the HAI thread. It should explain a lot.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
My point was that it does matter what the intake temperature is.

Randy
Beyond that, I read the thread, and one of the cars at the shop has the HAI on it. I'll do more tests too, and we can compare data - more is good!

Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
So the real question here is this. Can any one show a direct and calculable corelation between each degree drop in intake temp and increase in whp? Lets see the numbers......or better yet, a formula that is proven by test data.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
You're going to have trouble finding a correlation like that. Not only does IAT affect the number of air molecules being sucked (or blown) into the engine, but it also affects the engine's resistance to detonation. Hotter temps = more likely that the DME will retard timing due to feedback from the knock sensors, and hence, lower power. In general, colder air is better ... as long as everything else is kept the same.

Originally Posted by planeguy
So the real question here is this. Can any one show a direct and calculable corelation between each degree drop in intake temp and increase in whp? Lets see the numbers......or better yet, a formula that is proven by test data.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
There is also flow and pressure. They all correlate.

The efficiency is a big deal too, for both the compressor and intercooler.

I will work on it in my spare time () as I like deriving formulas.

Randy

Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
It just seems like one ought to know the hp gained by each degree in temp drop before spending money to lower the temp 20F or 7F for that matter.

Every thing has a mathematical relation, even things we cant explain (like Gravity) but we still know their relations, Though extremely complicated, there is a relation. Can any one provide it?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Agreed, there is definitely a scientific relationship between IAT and whp in the MCS. I don't think anyone has that relationship written down except possibly an engineer or two at BMW/MINI/Siemens/etc. You could try to figure out that relationship experimentally, but you would need to maintain very tight control over your variables to make sure you are changing one and only one thing at a time.

It just seems like one ought to know the hp gained by each degree in temp drop before spending money to lower the temp 20F or 7F for that matter.

Every thing has a mathematical relation, even things we cant explain (like Gravity) but we still know their relations, Though extremely complicated, there is a relation. Can any one provide it?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
... there is a relation. Can any one provide it?
this is a very easy computation using the perfect gas law relationship. i think it's already been done in a thread about 2 years old on mini2 that lists the % increase in power obtained by increasing the density of the intake air via temperature lowering. and i suspect this is all over the internet; just be sure you read something done with a basis in engineering or in science, not one of these anecdotes / urban myths propagated by know nothings like "my brother in law's friend who works at the gas station says it's 20 hp per degree (and removing a pound of weight from wheels is like removing 10 or 20 pounds from the body....)"

Last edited by flyboy2160; 09-20-2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
is it possible to throw a crank sensor off w/crank pulley mod??

Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
No, it isn't using the crank pulley.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Agreed, there is definitely a scientific relationship between IAT and whp in the MCS. I don't think anyone has that relationship written down except possibly an engineer or two at BMW/MINI/Siemens/etc. You could try to figure out that relationship experimentally, but you would need to maintain very tight control over your variables to make sure you are changing one and only one thing at a time.
You mean the companies who are selling certain aftermarket products making hp claims have not tested thier products maintaing tight control over variables..... ..and that the only ones who know the relationship between all the variables and are the BMW engineers.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
You mean the companies who are selling certain aftermarket products making hp claims have not tested thier products maintaing tight control over variables..... ..and that the only ones who know the relationship between all the variables and are the BMW engineers.
I want to clairfy that this was not meant to call out Webb motorsports specifically or to challenge the quality of testing of Randy's products.

But only to point out that in general, aftermarket products do not have the same amount of engineering and R&D as OEM products (e.g. JCW) do to optimize performance and reliability of our cars.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Cold air intake and pulley q's????