Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MCSa?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Kendel72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSa?

I traded in my 05 MCS about two months ago and now I hate I did it and I am trying to sway my wife into another by telling her that I am willing to get an automatic with the sport shift, whats the pros and cons and will I hate it or love it?

Old 09-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
After considerable thought I opted for the automatic in my MCSC. And I couldn't be happier. It take a few weeks, but once familiar with all you can do (Sport Drive, paddles, etc.), it's a blast. With the paddles you can keep both hands on the wheel while shifting. And the auto mode is there for the slow freeway days and other times you may need or want it.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:18 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I love mine. Love it. Wouldn't trade for a manual though I wouldn't mind having a second MCS with a manual to get crazy with mod-wise. Can't use a manual day to day anyway because of hellish traffic and driving situations so the only way for me to have a MINI is with auto.

So far I've put on an Alta intake, Alta 17% pulley, MTH software (standard) and cold plugs. Runs like a champ.

/gary mc

Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
MrV
4th Gear
Hey Gary,

I'm really interested in your experience with the MTH map on the MCSa. I've been thinking about it quite seriously and would love to hear your thoughts.

Where in the timeline of your Mods did you install the MTH? I don't have a pulley installed, but have a CAI (the JCW in my case).

Oh, and just to contribute to the thread (sorry for the mini hijack here!!) I ordered my auto S sight unseen back in September (can't believe it's been a year) and was very nervous about it. It's my first auto (knees aren't gettin any younger) but I shouldn't have worried. It's not quite the driving experience that a manual gives you, but it's as close as you are going to get when you buy an auto. It's definately the best auto that I have ever driven, and the above mentioned versatility makes it very adaptable to whatever kind of driving you are going to do at the moment.

Downsides though, are there: You lose a little power from the manual (IMHO this is easily recovered from doing a minimal mods), you lose MPG, and to a certain degree (wait for the comments later in this thread, they will show up I promise) you lose a little respect from diehard fans that think the Auto S in an anathema to the MINI brand.

-- Jay

Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Kendel72
4th Gear
Thanks guys for the input, I should have known better than to trade my mcs so now I have to start over but hey this time I am going to do it right. The first time I was lucky enough that my MA found what I was looking for in one day and I had it in two days but that kinda takes away from spec-ing out exactly what you want and saying this was mine and built for me

Old 09-19-2005, 03:33 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrV
Hey Gary,

I'm really interested in your experience with the MTH map on the MCSa. I've been thinking about it quite seriously and would love to hear your thoughts.

Where in the timeline of your Mods did you install the MTH? I don't have a pulley installed, but have a CAI (the JCW in my case).

-- Jay
The MTH made a noticeable improvement per the infamous "butt dyno". The car made 154 HP at the wheels on a DynoJet shortly after putting the software on - corresponds to 175 HP at the crank if one goes with the 88% drivetrain efficiency estimate.

The driveability of the car is excellent with or without the MTH. I did notice it had less responsiveness after the dealer updated the firmware. When I reinstallled the MTH the car was back to being crisper again.

I did the MTH first, drove it like that for probably 5000 miles then added the CAI, then 500 miles later added the pulley and plugs. I'd say the CAI made as much difference as the MTH software. The biggest kick was from the pulley.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I've had my MCSa for 5 months now and I love it. For people like me who want the performance of a stick (its close) and the comfort of an Auto it works for me. The transmission is very reponsive. Either by using the paddles, shifter or when you floor it (kick-down point).

Also I have found it does run hot. I have been to the drag strip a few times now and find my best run is my first run. After that the car gets a tad slower on every run. Its slower on the time side but not the mph side.

Please let us know when you place your order on your new (what will be) 06 MCSa

Old 09-19-2005, 06:09 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We took delivery of out 05 MCSa labor day weekend and are still in the break in period. So far, the car has been great. The hardest part is keeping it below 4500 RPMs, because it really wants to go.

My car is a 5 spd turbo miata, and i really don't feel like the MCSa is any less fun. It is actually nice to have the option to just drive like "normal folk" or a little more sporty when needed.

when i order my 06 i will get the manual, as there is no reason to have two of the same....transmissions!

-jac

Old 09-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
I know it's not exactly the same, but my last car was a CVT MC. The baby-sitting features really annoyed me. Hopefully they've improved it in the MCSa tranny.

Truth be told, I wouldn't give up the control of having a clutch in my MCS... though auto would be nice in slow moving rush hour traffic.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Green Giant
2nd Gear
count me in as another satisfied MCSa + MTH + CAI + Milltek owner!

It's really a hoot driving this around; the peddles do become really addictive to use. Especially after seeing Transporter 2, (I know he drove an Audi and a Lambo), I was really "inspired" by the use of the peddles.

Combine that with the distinctive whine once past the 4500 mark (JCW intake), you just can't beat the experience for the money.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
I love my MCS and my wife of 35 yrs. knows it, and she knows her place. Do what I did and you should have done. Tell her to shut up and get in the kitchen or bedroom where women belong.

Motor on.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:07 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tsprayfhs
I love my MCS and my wife of 35 yrs. knows it, and she knows her place. Do what I did and you should have done. Tell her to shut up and get in the kitchen or bedroom where women belong.
Good to know that misogynism is alive and well even in the MINI community.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:35 AM
Hounddog
3rd Gear
You can see by our sig we have two '05s one JCW 6speed and one MCSa. Love them both and I have to admit that driving the automatic is wonderful. I love my JCW for the track but for just plain fun everyday driving, my wife's automatic is a thrill and true pleasure. It runs fantastic and the ability to switch to manual with a push of the paddle is great. The sport shift mode makes the shift map really aggressive.