Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta vs. AGS intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta vs. AGS intake

Hey guys,

Ive been searching about these two very different intakes for a while and I really want to purchase one soon, as I just made it through the break in period whoooooooooooo!!! Anyways, I just dont know which one to get. I love how the sound clips for the AGS sounded outside the car...they were insaneeee... it sounds like u can hear the car comin from down the block or further. My friends would go crazy over that, but the intense installation, the fact that hp gains havent really been posted in the forum, and theres been some intense controversy over the whole thing, is discouraging me. I kno u hear the Alta intake a lot in the car. Would another driver outside the car with their windows up or a bystander be able to hear me at WOT with the Alta? At this point, I am leaning more towards the Alta but feel free to encourage me either way. Lets hear both sides, cuz I need an intake in like 2 weeks so I can have some funnnn when I visit home from school. Thanks guys

Old 09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Do a search and make your own educated opinion from the vast information that's out there on this subject. There is no right or wrong answer to your question, it comes down to personal preference.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:24 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
do you have either one?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the HAI and the AGS...

I've done some work on improving the AGS as well. I like the theory of it, but it's not perfect. The instal its a pain, and the fact that there's no braket at the TB isn't ideal. If you love the sound, go for it, if you plan on going much farther in other mods, go for it.

If you are going to stop after an intake and a pully, I'd go with the ALTA. The HP gains are about the same, the install is easier, and you can easily go back to stock if you need to.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

Matt

Old 09-11-2005, 08:31 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BiZzLeSMiNI
do you have either one?
Yes, I have the Alta with the tube. I was considering the AGS, but not anymore for the time being. This is what works for me, your needs might be different. Like I said, do a search, gather all the info you can and make an educated opinion based on the info you uncover and your own needs, it's really the only way to go on this matter.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
ive got the alta

wouldnt mind trying out the HIA tho

Old 09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
Aiight thanks guys, just one more question. Since you have it, how loud is it outside? I know its hard to judge but im just wondering if the supercharger sound is more pronounced upon revving from outside. Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
BiZzLeSMiNI -

Judging by your posts, I get the impression that the sound of the intake from outside the car is important to you. In that category the AGS is going to be the winner.

The Alta will make the same or better power and gives a fantastic sound from inside the car. And, the installation of the Alta is a cake walk. But if you want the sound to be more noticeable outside the car, go with the AGS. If you can't do the installation yourself, find a reputable shop and pay them to do it.

Best of luck

Old 09-11-2005, 09:45 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI
BiZzLeSMiNI -

Judging by your posts, I get the impression that the sound of the intake from outside the car is important to you. In that category the AGS is going to be the winner.

The Alta will make the same or better power and gives a fantastic sound from inside the car. And, the installation of the Alta is a cake walk. But if you want the sound to be more noticeable outside the car, go with the AGS. If you can't do the installation yourself, find a reputable shop and pay them to do it.

Best of luck
funny that u say that.. i found some steps of the installation quite a b##ch to do. eg.. that replacing twisty tube part and the oem clamps that are attached with it.
but must admit, 2nd time round was easier

Old 09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
funny that u say that.. i found some steps of the installation quite a b##ch to do. eg.. that replacing twisty tube part and the oem clamps that are attached with it.
but must admit, 2nd time round was easier
Oh yeah, the snorkel can be a real PITA!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
camelpilot
Banned
The Alta makes the car sound loud also. Maybe not like the AGS, but still pretty nice sounding.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:10 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
What about the HAI? One would think that it might sound like a combination of the Alta & AGS.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:17 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I have both intakes and a minimania one to boot.

For the AGS, the tube fit in there perfectly and TB support was no longer a concern, but after getting/squeezing the filter on though, my thought was that everything was just too crammed.

I'm keeping the AGS, when the wifey gets her MINI 02-06 that is, I'll get to pull the AC system off Brutus and maybe then I'll put it back on.
For now, it's the Alta.

DAMN!!! Forgot to mention that when I pulled the stock intake tube between the TB and the SC back off, I got to re-admire my rookie porting job! Looked pretty damn good too especially after I painted it red.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:00 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI
What about the HAI? One would think that it might sound like a combination of the Alta & AGS.
Here's some of what's available in the "Operation Hot Air Intake" thread:

Originally Posted by Revolver
...Okay I installed the HAI today. I hope this doesn't sound too cliche, but...THIS THING ROCKS!!! Hehe, I went right from stock AI to the HAI and wow... The car is definitely pulling harder, and the supercharger sounds amazing, it really screams at high revs. Also that little "inhaling" sound right before the engine noise gets loud is, uh, louder. Very cool!! I don't know, maybe guys who are replacing an already-aftermarket AI are just getting a slight gain, but to my ears and the butt dyno, going from stock to HAI makes a big difference. Whoo hoo!

Why does the supercharger get so much louder? Is it just from removing the top of the airbox, letting more sound through?
Originally Posted by nammerz
...throttle response... to me it "feels" the same. my friend says that im trippen. he says first gear picks up a lot faster now. i trust his word on that. but boy oh boy.... the supercharger whine is crazzzzzzyyyyyy. it is REALLY louder. what worries me is that i sorta hear a rice boy sound.. it sounds like a can when i accel. my friend was driving my car and i stood outside to hear it and you can hear the intake "popping"

all in all though i do like this new HAI. i wish i knew how much i gained on it though. ill dyno as soon as i get back from streets of willows this saturday.

-nam huynh

Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
yeah, but it looks ugly.

HAI works for sure, but just get's uglier and uglier and uglier and...

the dirtier it gets.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:43 AM
mininutz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BiZzLeSMiNI
Would another driver outside the car with their windows up or a bystander be able to hear me at WOT with the Alta? At this point, I am leaning more towards the Alta but feel free to encourage me either way. Lets hear both sides, cuz I need an intake in like 2 weeks so I can have some funnnn when I visit home from school. Thanks guys
Certainly, the Alta CAI can be quite loud (you hear the throttle body opening/closing and the supercharger whine is much more noticeable). I think M7 develops some great products, but I find that sometimes you have to wait a while for parts. For instance, my oil catch can is backordered. I placed the order through one vendor back in May (they say it's M7's fault). It's September now, right? :impatient

Anywho, if you've only got two weeks, I think your best option is the Alta. Besides, you can install it yourself inside of an hour with the right tools.

My two cents. Oh yes, and NAM has requested that I post something. Hopefully this will keep the powers that be satisfied.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
if you go with the ALTA, make sure and view the instructions on webbmotorsports.com--MUCH better than the almost unreadable print/pictures that come with it...

Old 09-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AGS vs Alta

Check out this thread for dyno results on both...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=48544

Old 09-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cabin sound...

IF you cut out the panel to the cowel vents below the windshield, they all will sould louder. I have the HAI without a cut in the panel, and it's louder for sure, but not as loud as it could be. How many decibles is "ROCKS!" I couldn't find that in any of my textbooks!

Matt