Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just installed Alta CAI and Bypass Valve. a couple Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Alta CAI and Bypass Valve. a couple Q's

After a couple careful hours of removing and installing parts, I got the stuff in, and the car feels much more responsive and a little stronger. I called Chad from D.T. and mentioned that I had a fairly audible hissing sound that cut in when i barely touched the throttle, and went away after I I pushed down a little more. What Chad said was that the Intake makes everything the engine does louder. So I'm guessing its just when the throttle opens just a little it sucks in and makes this noise? Anyone have any idea where I'm going with this? haha.

And also, what should the clearance be between the intake pipe and the air duct off the right side of the intercooler? Mine's real close...

Other than that...supercharger whine is... drives great.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
It took one and half hours for me to put it on with my medium skills, but I bet you next one I can do it in less than 45 min.

mine is close too, and like you are, I am in love with my ALTA CAI. The whistle is priceless...

Originally Posted by agile_moments
After a couple careful hours of removing and installing parts, I got the stuff in, and the car feels much more responsive and a little stronger. I called Chad from D.T. and mentioned that I had a fairly audible hissing sound that cut in when i barely touched the throttle, and went away after I I pushed down a little more. What Chad said was that the Intake makes everything the engine does louder. So I'm guessing its just when the throttle opens just a little it sucks in and makes this noise? Anyone have any idea where I'm going with this? haha.

And also, what should the clearance be between the intake pipe and the air duct off the right side of the intercooler? Mine's real close...

Other than that...supercharger whine is... drives great.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Tit
5th Gear
I often play with that hiss...bring it on and off when I'm bored with the throttle...haha

My silicon hose is *just* touching the outlet side of the intercooler...I've checked it once, and it seems ok - bit of a brown mark, but nothing significant...

When the filter got dirty, the hiss slowly went away. The other day I cleaned it and the hiss was back with a vengance...I had to stop and check under there to see if something came loose...but nope!! It just sounds like that...

It's good for a demo when you're showing people.....have the bonnet open, and you can bring the hiss on and off...

Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
haha, okay, Im assuming the hiss is normal then? and it's something I'll grow to love? haha

Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
haha, okay, Im assuming the hiss is normal then? and it's something I'll grow to love? haha
Yea the hiss is normal

Old 08-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The hiss is the one thing I have NOT grown to love about my Alta. . .

I still love it though but the hissing sound sounds to me like someone scraping a metal trash can with a wire brush .. . .

Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Mine had the whistle.
Since doing the AGS mod I don't have it anymore.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Mine had the whistle.
Do you mean that you replaced the Alta with the AGS or did you do something different? The VGS mod perhaps?

Old 12-18-2005, 08:17 PM
GrilleGuy
2nd Gear
The dreaded hiss

I just completed my Alta CAI install and took her for a spin. I heard a "hiss" at the touch and back-off of the throttle. When I hammered it I could only hear the SC whine - which I like. I thought for a moment that I had spun a bearing or something. The hiss can be interpreted almost as a metal to metal at high frequency. As I was driving, I was thinking how will I explain theis on the forum and the word TINNY sound came to mind. I like the wire brush on the metal trash can description, but it makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

So what is this about a AGS or VGS mod making the noise go away.:impatient

Also I am thinking of putting my back wall panel (I don't really think it is a fire wall as some call it) back in so that this will be a STX legal mod anyways. but I was hoping that I can make it a quick change item so I could go from race to road ready in a snap. Anyone else doen something like that?

Old 12-18-2005, 08:30 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
I think I've noticed that "hiss" you are describing with the stock intake. If I'm light on the throttle or on and off the throttle then I can hear it, but if you step on it more then it goes away. I thought something in the engine or drivetrain was rubbing at first, but the dealer told me the car sounded normal. I noticed it in ScuderiaMini's car too with the Alta intake.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Mine had the whistle.
AGS still has the whistle you just cant hear it all the way in the front of the car as much as you could with the alta, since the alta is back up against the firewall. I have the AGS on my car and i still hear it all the time.