Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best Modifications - R53 powerhouse?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Teh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Modifications - R53 powerhouse?

This is probably commonly asked and I know the general answer, but I'm trying to dig a little deeper and get a sense of numbers to be expecting along with preference in brands/merchandise.

What are the overall BEST modifications to make to an R53 with a budget of $5,000 total for parts [and maybe labor depending on the complexity]?

So far, I've got an Alta 15% pulley, Alta CAI, and a lot of suspension add-on's.

Currently looking into:
Coilovers for handling, chassis support brace, and upgrading to a 17% reduction pulley. Detroit tuned BPV, Colder plugs, and new coil. 450cc injectors, RMW CR's, Exhaust/cam/header options, and info on what are available + what are best.

BUT, I never read much on headers/cam/exhaust options and which put out the best performance, nor read much about the big cylinder heads given from "Stage" packages. Curious if anyone has any feedback on the Sprintex SC as well or if there are other aftermarket SC's on the market. Twincharging used to be a thing, why isn't it anymore?

Any feedback/help would be great! Will make a final call towards December and I'll be starting a build thread in the Spring when all is bought and together! I want to hit about 250 horses without meth, which seems achievable. Hopefully.

The following users liked this post:
MiniBeemer (09-11-2022)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Twin charging was $$ and troublesome...same for sprintex...
If you want lots of power, look at a BVH, BIg VALVE HEAD, a few around, add a cam, tune, header, 550 injectors (better spray pattern, same $$) I would still look at METH, and a tune...
Done right you can do 250-275 on a daily...more if you are aggressive with the tune....heck, if you save the $$ on the head, you can still get almost 250 if the motor is strong...bet meth, if you are willing let's you run safe power...it COOLS, adds octane, and fuel, and keeps stuff clean, and NEVER RUN WASHER FLUID(MINERALS and other contaminants, and not enough meth), NO MATTER WHAT FOLKS SAY.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Powerflex Polyurethane Suspension Bushings are great upgrades if you're wanting to really dial in your suspension. I always work from the ground up. Suspension & handling, then engine modifications. Are you going to be racing it or just wanting these mods for daily driving use? ST coil overs are the best bang for your buck suspension. They're a great street and occasional track coil. An intercooler may be a good upgrade to look into as well. Here is a good video on YouTube of a 244hp MINI. His mod list is in the comment section under the video on YouTube.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Teh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Powerflex Polyurethane Suspension Bushings are great upgrades if you're wanting to really dial in your suspension. I always work from the ground up. Suspension & handling, then engine modifications. Are you going to be racing it or just wanting these mods for daily driving use? ST coil overs are the best bang for your buck suspension. They're a great street and occasional track coil. An intercooler may be a good upgrade to look into as well. Here is a good video on YouTube of a 244hp MINI. His mod list is in the comment section under the video on YouTube.
I was thinking about the bushings, but wasn't sure if it was a huge step up or not. It's going to be a daily driver when it's done. However, some time in the next couple years, it may end up being a weekend car. Who knows?

Biggest problem I have with the top mounted IC's is that people fight against one another on if they actually make a huge difference. But I'll probably end up getting one anyway.

I saw that video when he had first posted it, didn't know he had a mod list! Thanks.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For $5K and big power go 17%, RMW head, cam, injectors, tune. You'll be over 250 whp there. Don't waste your money on an aftermarket intercooler. Only two outperform it, the OEM GP and the Defenders of Speed (which is no longer made) and neither outperforms the stock one enough to justify cost. If your worried about cooling your intake, nothing beats meth and you can get the Aquamist system for the same price as an intercooler. Check out this video:

Basically he goes from 270+ post charger down to 92 at the intake. There is no intercooler out there that can get even close to that.

Last edited by batrugger; 08-12-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Teh
2nd Gear
I was looking to avoid meth for the sake of the cost of running it/wanting to daily it, but if it's actually that much of an improvement, I might have to genuinely consider it as an option. Though, it'll be a weekend hero if that happens.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
And if it gonna be a DAILY DRIVER...
Get good parts...
Like a RMW shorty header...
Other ones fail at the flex joint, and don't do well over the 220 HP range.
Like suggested...
I'd do a 17%, RMW Jesus head/other BVH of your choice, a quality header (no junk eBay crap), 550 injectors..the pattern is a better match then the 450's...trust Jan on this, exaust, and tune...
And I still suggest if you want safe power at those levels, a meth system...you will only use a couple gallons a MONTH MAX, usually less if you don't got WOT.

The following users liked this post:
Xplct (06-23-2023)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
A cyl head can be the best bang for the buck.
Our mild cam is also good bang for the buck and easy install.
Switching to a 17%pulley will gain you more low end.

We don't recommend the sprintex so save your money.

Before you get to those numbers you should also remember that power will be useless if you can't get it to the ground. So a quaife LSD will be a necessary item. Which is a big chunk of the budget.

You've got plenty of time to research and learn.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following 2 users liked this post by WayMotorWorks:
Keysersozeh (09-03-2022), Xplct (06-23-2023)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
Teh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
And if it gonna be a DAILY DRIVER...
Get good parts...
Like a RMW shorty header...
Other ones fail at the flex joint, and don't do well over the 220 HP range.
Like suggested...
I'd do a 17%, RMW Jesus head/other BVH of your choice, a quality header (no junk eBay crap), 550 injectors..the pattern is a better match then the 450's...trust Jan on this, exaust, and tune...
Thanks for the advice. From what I can tell, it seems like the Shorty headers aren't street legal, but I wouldn't mind if I have to take em off once in a blue moon.

I'll do more research on meth, since it's being pushed really hard here. I'm mostly worried about the cost, not so much reliability seeing as it'd make it MORE reliable than to take away from that. But if you say it won't run me much to daily, then I'll trust you on it.

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

Before you get to those numbers you should also remember that power will be useless if you can't get it to the ground. So a quaife LSD will be a necessary item. Which is a big chunk of the budget.

Do you mind asking what gains are seen from the cam/custom CH? And I figured a LSD would be pretty much required

I should be looking for quality over power, which most people seem to ignore. So I'll look into everything even more and ask around to see how people feel about certain parts. I've gotten some WMW parts ages ago in my first Mini but never got around to installing them so I still have em' sitting in my basement... somewhere. Can't remember for the life of me what they were, but I'll look for them tonight.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Many folks weld the factory cat (no highflow needed) to the RMW heard...heck know somebody in Philly that did EXACTLY that...no codes...passes emissions, gets a sticker, no issue...250 HP daily...
It is sold as "not street use" cause it is not tested in CA, and it does not come with a cat..most folks have a good one..cheap ones melt and fail...cause blockages.
Folks try to ship.it, use spacers, etc...some do OK..some don't.. But the factory unit works..and won't hold you back...auto makers figured out years ago, cats had to be better or they would loose mpg...

As far as meth kits...if you go that route, don't go cheap..when it fails, it can cause a motor failure. There are kits that are made for the MINI...not universal kits.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Teh
2nd Gear
Gotcha, good info. Was hoping to avoid any issues with PA laws, which this seems to be good news too.

What meth kit would be recommended or sites that supply MINI specific units so I can get a general idea of cost? I mean I didn't see me blowing past $4500 with this build unless I got more into it than I originally planned to. But pricing these items have somewhat made me realize I'll hit a little past my budget

I noticed AEM has one on OutMotoring, but wasn't sure if it was specifically tested for MINI. Just would like more info on water/meth because I honestly never messed with it and rarely see anyone running it in my area. Should I even look into aftermarket IC's if I go with meth? I mean, it's hard to find any quality ones under $700 to begin with.

Last edited by Teh; 08-13-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
evoq007
1st Gear
In the research I have done, there is no real reason to upgrade the IC. The stock one stabilizes much faster than most aftermarket ones. Meth would be a much better investment.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
From motoring alliance...

An Introduction to Water/Alcohol Injection Systems

by Jeff Howerton
All images courtesy of the Author
How Does All This Apply to the MINIs?

Testing has shown the R53 responds well to WAI. With amazingly high IATs, despite what intercooler is used, and its appetite for octane in the timing maps, a properly applied system can give significant gains across the entire RPM range. If one wishes to use a simple single stage system, the midrange can benefit greatly and the top end will receive some IAT cooling. If set up to inject the proper quantity in the midrange, the top end may not get as much as it would like, but some is better than nothing. One could add a second activation point and solenoid/nozzle to help out the top end. If one wishes to move onto a progressive system, the difficulty comes in injecting the correct amount of water/alcohol across the entire RPM range. We have seen the PPS system has a limited dynamic range which limits its effectiveness across the entire RPM band. Many cars with superchargers have a MAF sensor which can be tapped for a relatively good signal to use for progressive injection. The R53 does not have a MAF sensor. Being supercharged, the boost profile is not linear with RPM either. Therefore, the boost signal is compromised for an accurate injection signal as well. This leaves few options for finding a signal respective to engine load for accurate injection. Combine this difficulty with some of the shortcomings of a PPS system, and you could be chasing many variables trying to tune a system correctly. That’s not to say a properly set up simple system cannot be effective, but one should know the limitations you are working with in formulating your expectations. For the R53, IDC is the most likely candidate to give an accurate signal for injection parameters.

After much testing and data logging, I have some observations that may be helpful in considering the final package. Tuning plays a pivotal role in how the car will respond to a WAI. If the car has pinging issues, as many stock R53s had from the factory (or the addition of a smaller pulley can cause), a simple system could provide good results. The WAI can suppress detonation, cool the IATs, and provide some additional octane which will advance the timing maps providing more power. If the car has been tuned properly, and does not have detonation issues even under hard use, the WAI system will have a smaller effect. The car will already be running optimum timing for its setup and will be mostly used to combat high IATs. If the engine is re-tuned to take advantage of the strengths of the WAI, the sky is the limit.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
If you do an IC, IMO get the GP..
If meth...then this says it all..also from motoring alliance site...
The one thing you need to know about the Aquamist system is that if you buy something else and truly use it, you'll always wish you bought the Aquamist, and will probably anguish over how to sell your other system to buy the Aquamist.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ecu (viPEC) , turbo setup. Go oiled and a simple log manifold. not as efficient, but enough to whoop the butt off of the factory sc setup.

Use a smaller, cheapish turbo, but stick to name brand. Borg warner 38-42mm would be fine.

run an oil cooler, and A2A intercooling is best option.

It would be closer to 6-7K for me to do a kit like that, but it would be simple, clean, and work quite well. (I know I am doing a twin charge, but that is just because I want to be difficult on myself. it is a hobby, not a race car for me. A platform to learn on and waste money on :P )

Old 08-21-2015, 05:03 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Where did you get the rear view mirror in the video? How was it adapted to fit over the stock part? I've been searching for something like this and hope you can help out.

ISAMIN

Old 09-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Greezyman
1st Gear
These guys have some good articles about water/meth injection: http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...es.php?tPath=7

I have an AEM system on my 97 Miata, which has the same kind of supercharger as an R53 - an M45. I've never run meth with it though, I got it only to prevent detonation when doing track days in very hot weather. It seems to do the trick, I run 91 octane and haven't noticed any indications of detonation.

The system cost about $400. It was fairly straight forward to install, but like most universal products I had to improvise a bit as far as where and how to mount stuff. I ended up with the fairly large pump under the front bumper. I originally had a one gallon tank in the trunk, but it took up too much space. Now I have a line tapped into the wiper washer tank. I'd guess it holds about a quart. The tank still works for the washers.

For a daily the tank might be a bit small if you're in boost a lot, but my car isn't a daily. I can't say how often you'd have to fill it, maybe every other day... depends. At the track I'd have to fill it about every other 20 minute session, but keep in mind I have the pedal floored way more than I would on the street.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:48 AM
65C10
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

Why can't I find your web site? Browser always comes up with an error!

Old 08-20-2022, 11:31 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by 65C10
Why can't I find your web site? Browser always comes up with an error!
http://www.waymotorworks.com

Old 08-21-2022, 12:00 AM
65C10
Neutral
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Thank you but I still get the message: This page isn't working, www.waymotorworks.com didn't send any data ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Thank you but I still get the message: This page isn't working, www.waymotorworks.com didn't send any data ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.
Way's website is working fine. Do a search for the error you are receiving and fix the issue on your computer.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:47 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Where are you located?

I’ve seen several posts in the past from people outside of the US saying they can’t access the WMW website. A VPN might help in viewing the site and products, but they probably still have a policy of not shipping orders outside of the US.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:32 PM
65C10
Neutral
New Zealand

Old 08-22-2022, 04:37 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Way's web site is only accessible from the USA (or as others have stated, with a VPN). Way got tired of dealing with people outside the US trying to rip him off and the hassles of international shipping screw ups and returns. I used to order from him before he did this.He was my go-to vendor and I still miss doing business with him.