Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Magnecor Ignition Wires rock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 PM
MiniMe762
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from a test drive after installing Magnecor 8mm Blue ignition wires, purchased from Moss Mini, and I have to say, WOW! I'm impressed with the difference it makes! First, the engine seems to idle 50-100rpm higher, so the occasional sputtering feel is almost eliminated. Acceleration from a dead stop is smoother and faster. Just watch the tach, and you may be surprised by how much faster it rises....

Installation is a cinch, even for a novice like me. These wires are much cheaper than Nology wires, and easier to install, since you don't have to connect a grounding strap with Magnecor wires. Admittedly, I've never used Nology wires, but from what I hear, they're more bucks for a little bang.

I also installed the chrome side grills, also purchased from Moss Mini, although they are OEM "S" grills. I plan on getting the Cooper grills as soon as they get them. Beware though, if ordering from them... currently they only offer the S grills despite the photo of both. I thought I was ordering the Cooper ones, only to find out they won't be in stock for another month. The chrome is definitely a better look though. My MINI may not be worthy of the "S" designation, but she certainly loves the silver over black!

Jason

Old 07-17-2002, 12:16 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
Thanks for posting your opinion on the Magnecor ignition wires!
I had been debating whether I should buy a set of these. I just placed the order with Moss Mini... I will post an update once installed.

I also have noticed a slight occasional sputtering sometimes when I first start my Mini, or while stopped at the occasional red light. The RPMs sometimes seem to drop a little low at idle. I figured this would auto-adjust when I hit 1200 mi in another couple weeks, but hey, why wait? From what I have heard about the Magnecor wires, they should improve all around performance.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:19 AM
arguinto
Neutral
can you guys post the web site for Moss Mini?... my cooper did not come with the chrome bumpers and would really like one... i've talked to several dealers and they told me that i need to replace the whole front and back bumpers in order to have the chrome bumpers installed.. all for only $2,000... so, if anyone has a better idea... cheaper than $2,000 to put in the chrome bumpers please let me know...

thanks, arnold - liquid yellw mini

Old 08-23-2002, 07:35 PM
frails
1st Gear
the web site is easy. mossmini.com.

Did you get the red or blue wires. The red is .5mm bigger, don't know if that matters much. Glad to hear they worked well for you.

another good site is gotmini.com. They have some very good stuff too.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:32 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
>>can you guys post the web site for Moss Mini?... my cooper did not come with the chrome bumpers and would really like one... i've talked to several dealers and they told me that i need to replace the whole front and back bumpers in order to have the chrome bumpers installed.. all for only $2,000... so, if anyone has a better idea... cheaper than $2,000 to put in the chrome bumpers please let me know...
>>
>>
>>thanks, arnold - liquid yellw mini

does those bumperettes come off? if it does then u can get them plated.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:47 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
I don't recommend the chrome bumpers... I have them and somehow got a scratch on one. The scratch is through the chrome & they're black plastic underneath.
So, $120 as an option is not too bad, but adding them afterwards would probably not be worth it.

Old 08-29-2002, 05:56 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Anyone put those wires on a S? If so, how'd they work out?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Casey
5th Gear
I'm getting mine this weekend for my S - i'll post once i get them installed.

Old 09-02-2002, 05:45 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen a few threads and posts regarding plug and wire mods. Just curious of a few things if you guys and gals wouldn't mind sharing some info and experiences.
I'm due to get my MCS sometime later this week. After I go through the break-in period, I'm looking at kicking her up a notch or two. So far I'm thinking of either the Viper intake or waiting for the BMPdesign one to become available. But than also MiniMadness has one that increases hp by 9.3. So it's a tough call right now.
Anywho, I've also been tossing around the idea of a plug and wire set up. Seen the posts about the Nology and Magnecore packages. Just wondering what you all thought about each of them, and which you would prefer and why? And for those who have it done already, did you change from the stock plugs? And if so, what did you upgrade to. Also, has there been any problems with either kit after installing them?
Sorry about all the questions. Just wanted to get an inside look and feel on how the different kits work out. Thanx in advance for any info provided.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:36 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Yea, what he said.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
RE: Retro-fitting chrome on non-chromed bumpers...

As far as I know, the dealer is telling you the truth.. on another thread a while ago, someone mentioned that you either need a new bumper, or an x-acto knife and a lot of luck (and probally adhesive to boot) to retrofit a non-inserted bumper to accept the chrome inserts

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
anybody done this to a works S?

Old 07-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
Randy had a note on Nology Hotwires which I think he said he was going to put them on his mini.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...amp;topic=3819

I am thinking about trying them. I dont have the pulley/ecu/exhaust yet, just a BMP intake. I assume the install is easy so I should be able to do it.

Just some more info.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:49 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JohnW, do you really not have 1200 miles on your car yet, after a year?!

Old 07-09-2003, 05:58 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I put on the Red Magnecor wires 8.5mm on last year and found not much of a difference. Can plug wires really make that kind of a noticable change?? I'm not to sure about that.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:47 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
On a weak ignition system, yes. Personally I don't think they'd make a difference on a MINI, but that's just based on the observation that ignition systems have progressed to the point where I think that they're all reliable and strong enough.

Jeff

ps: I've had older bikes with weak systems where the difference was noticeable.

pps: They still look pretty, though.

ppps: I'm more interested in plug changes. Do the MINIs run rich enough to foul plugs? Can a plug change make a difference? Hmmm....

Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>JohnW, do you really not have 1200 miles on your car yet, after a year?!
>>>

I thought the same thing for a sec when I read this thread again. However, if you look a tad closer you'll see that his post was from last year!

Old 07-09-2003, 11:42 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
OMG

Old 07-09-2003, 11:44 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
If you think you can see and feel a difference from ignition wires...I gotta a spoiler to sell you that makes 5HP.