Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle noise

Milltek catback installed about a year ago. Only recently noticed rattle coming from the resonator. It is not hitting or rubbing anything but it sounds like theres something loose inside. Anybody else had the same problem ? When it get up to speed the noise disappeard. Is it ok to run a straight SS pipe without the resonator?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
tools
3rd Gear
Are you sure its the resonator? I had a rattle that sounds just like yours and it was an after market end link for the rear sway bar. I thougt it was the heat sheild for the exhaust.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
tools

I did confirmed it with the supplier and they had come across similar problem with the resonator. Overheated and weld debris inside of the unit. But they will send a new one to replace it. Milltek has a life time warranty on their products. But I will find out whats inside the unit if theres any.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:54 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull it off. hold it vertically. shake violently. hear the rattle? no: not the resonator; yes: keep shakin till something falls out and no more rattle :smile:

Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Interesting. I have a rattle coming from my Miltek on a MCc. But only when it's cold and it goes away after about 2 minutes. As soon as the car warms up. Weird. Anyone has any ideas?

P.S. Or maybe it's my clutch?

Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
Eastsidemini
I've got Miltek header/cat & exhaust. i'm on my 3rd resonator and that has also started to rattle. I do about few track days monthly & some autocross. I have 19 pulley.

I'm also in Hawaii and shipping is expensive here. Stratmosphere was outstanding and replaced my first resonator that began rattling about 6 months after i installed it and paid for shipping. (sounded like a loose rivit when it was off car). 2nd resonator lasted about 4 months then began rattling. (this one sounded like there was lots of sand or something similar inside when you turned it up and down). Contacted Stratmosphere again & they put me in touch with manufacturer in England who indicated they have new resonator that shouldn't have this issue and shipped resonator from England at no cost. I have this on the car now (about a month) and it also began rattling worse than any of the others.

I'm thinking of just eliminating the resonator and running pipe back but I bought Miltek cause i liked sound & peformance & didn't want a loud exhaust. Don't really know what to do now.

Also have issue with the MILTEK header/cat- have SES light on & P0420 code (cat below efficiency). Manufacturer has been great trying to fix this- They sent washers to install with rear 02 sensor- that worked for a week, then light back on. They they sent spacer that shields 02 sensor and moves it out further from exhaust stream but when i installed that the 02 sensor is pushed out to far & the wires rub against heat shielding. They took header/cat off assembly line and modified it so the rear 02 sensor threads are pointing downward slightly so the spacer & 02 won't rub body. They shipped this directly from England to Hawaii at no cost. (i've not installed this yet).

The customer service of both Stratmosphere & manufacturer is absolutely outstanding, however i'm a bit disappointed in having to install so many resonators and still have issues- I heard from a reliable MINI tuner on east coast that others are getting P0420 codes with the Miltek header/cat. Not sure what to do next.