Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 19% GIAC with larger injectors - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19% GIAC with larger injectors - first impressions

THE CAR IS SILKY SMOOTH! v39.- whatever screwed up my MINI. It gave my MINI the dreaded yo-yo at around 3.2k RPMs and an occasional irregular idle. And the reverse stumble I had with my original factory software (v.31?) at 1900 RPMs upon deceleration, became much, much more pronounced. It’s truly unbelievable that whoever is programming these cars for MINI really has very little idea what they’re doing. There has yet to be a perfect ECU version and the MINI has been here almost 3 yrs and almost 4 in England.

Anyway, the YO-YO is GONE! Yahoo! I only had to live with it for a month (my dealer installed it without my knowledge last month) but boy did it suck! I felt like I was driving a bucking bronco around town. I was really annoying. But GIAC has cured it.

The irregular idle has disappeared. Gone. Not there any more. Not once. The reverse stumble at 1900 RPMs upon deceleration is still there but it's hardly noticeable. I don't even feel it all of the time. It's amazing that what MINI has taken years and many versions of their software to fix only took the first release by Garrett to fix. And Garrett was producing a performance upgrade, he wasn't even trying to fix the stumble and yo-yos. I guess great tuning will fix everything. MINI should look into hiring Garrett. Although it worked great in my case, Helix told me that the software hasn't fixed every MINI software woe for everyone but it has cured a lot of problems for a lot of people. It depends on your car, your mods and your software version. But you won't know if you don't try it. And if you have a lot of these sucky ECU problems, I'd highly recommend this ECU upgrade.

Like I said, the car is incredibly smooth now. Until the latest software version (v.39), I never thought it was bad but compared to now I guess it was. I guess before it was just a MINI with a small collection of bolt-on parts (19% pulley, exhaust, intake). Now it feels like a finely tuned machine with everything working together. I feel like my MINI went from a cheap, raw, $20k sports car to a refined, highly tuned, $40k sports car. Now I understand what the JCW guys are talking about. That the JCW feels more refined than a similar car gone the aftermarket route. This must be it – and let me tell you – the feeling the incredible smoothness gives is worth the price of the software alone!

Here’s the best part of the smoothness – it doesn’t feel like a MINI any more. Or I should say that I now feel differently about the MINI. The MCS seemed to be the only stick car I know that is rarely smooth off the line. The car WANTS to bog unless you give it lots of RPMs. No more. It actually feels like a normal car! Like Herby74 found with the 15% GIAC version, I can take off at any RPM level – even mid 1k’s and it’s smooth – very smooth. No problem. Minus 10 boost…no problem. Seriously, I don’t know if you can make it bog if you tried! The MINI fun factor has once again increased!

With the latest software, going from coasting to gas to coasting caused all kinds of jerking. Again…not any more. It’s just smooth, smooth and smooth.

Ok forget all about smooth. As wonderful as that is, that’s not why I got an ECU upgrade (and larger injectors). No sir, I wanted more power. I wanted even a little more low end torque than the 19% provides (although it provides a ton) and a little more mid-range (where there already is plenty). I also wanted to take advantage of all the boost available at the top end. I’ve seen peak boost levels of 16.5-18.5lbs near redline and have seen a high of 16lbs at 5k RPMs and 17lbs at 6k RPMs. So I know there’s power to be had up there. I’ve always thought the 19% blew away the 15% at low and mid range, but at the top end the difference wasn’t as great. I was hoping an ECU with injectors would give the “boost” (pun intended) it needed.

Let me tell you – it does. This thing flies over 5k RPMs. Some ECU mods adjust the way the E-gas works so that a little throttle input gives you a decent amount of throttle – making you think the car is more responsive and livelier. The GIAC doesn’t do this. Quite the opposite. Under mild throttle inputs, the car is extremely smooth. So smooth it’ll put a smile on your face. But other than the extreme smoothness, you wouldn’t think it’s tuned (unless you have driven with some of MINI’s ECU versions). But get into the throttle and it really comes alive. There’s clearly more power everywhere – throughout the RPM range. It’s smooth and responsive even at 1k RPMs! Yes, 1k RPMs! No hesitation. No jerkiness. And you won’t believe it. Not only does it take off smoothly under light throttle from a standstill, but if you want to, you can take off fast off the line! You really can. That REALLY puts a smile on your face. It’s unlike any MINI I’ve driven or gotten a ride in. There’s no bog, no hesitation, just smooth acceleration. I have yet to really push it off the line, but I’m really looking forward to getting it on a drag strip to ¼ mile it. I just wish I got it on the strip before the GIAC b/c I know the before launches couldn’t compare to what it can do now. And up top, with those larger injectors, this baby flies all the way to redline. And there’s just more and more power the higher you go. The injectors make a big difference with the 19%. This things is scary fast up top. But it better be. With the cost of those injectors…

Another great thing about the larger injectors and GIAC tune is the great performance advantage I’ll have in the summer months. Because of the larger injectors, my MINI not only has more power at the top end, but it also runs richer to do so, NOT LEANER. Thus cylinder temps are REDUCED even though there’s more power! It’s a win-win! This would not be possible without larger injectors. So add the GIAC to a 19% and not only do you get all these benefits, but you’ll run cooler as well.

I haven’t figured out mileage yet, but in the several tanks I’ve run through so far, mileage looks to be the same or slightly better. My average mpg is definitely up but since Thursday, I returned from Helix in Philly (mostly highway) and did a couple of highway trips this weekend. So I’ll see this week as I get back into my normal driving routine.

All in all, I wish I didn’t wait 51k miles and 2 years for this mod. Yes, just under 2 years ago with 11k miles I got my first pulley, a 15%, and I inquired about GIAC then. That fall I switched to a 19% a now 14 months after that I’m tuned. It’s quite a feeling. I feel like I have a new car again. My 61k mile MINI feels brand new!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 AM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Sound great. What redline did he select for the 19% pulley?

Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would you say that the power delivery with the GIAC remap is, how would I put it...'smooooth'?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Greatgro,

Thanks for the review. I'm glad your MCS has finally "morphed" into a fire breathing exotic.

Any chance you may do a dyno over at Helix sometime and share it with us?

The problem I have with a dyno in my area is the shops don't know MINIs and might give a false impression of what might really exist. After 500+ dynos, Helix knows what to do for the MINI. It's not a perfect test but I'd trust a Helix dyno anyday.

Can you monitor mpg and see if you notice any difference- maybe better? maybe worse than before. Could be a combination of: how you drive, the v.39 software, GIAC, or the larger injectors.

I'm hoping that Eric can find a good less expensive source for the 380cc injectors. He prefers the new factory Siemens units over the M7 revalved ones (sometimes uneven spray pattern).

So, what's next for you? Carbon fiber bonnet? Time to start lightening.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune

I'm hoping that Eric can find a good less expensive source for the 380cc injectors. He prefers the new factory Siemens units over the M7 revalved ones (sometimes uneven spray pattern).

So, what's next for you? Carbon fiber bonnet? Time to start lightening.
Hi minihune...

I have no idea where the uneven spray pattern idea come from, but each and every injector get tested for electrical and mechanical consistency. And
the spray pattern is identical to the stock setup.
We have sold a lot of injectors over the last 2 years with zero defect levels.
And remember we are using the stock Siemens units to build from.

sincerely
peter horvath
Team M7
562-712-3270

www.m7tuning.com

Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Greatgro,

I'm working on it 'hune.

I have never seen nor heard that M7's re-valved stocker injectors are anything but perfect. I didn't want to give you the false impression that his injectors are no good. Peter from M7 and I have talked about this a couple of times. There is a slight risk that when an injector is re-valved, it can dribble instead of atomizing the fuel (or somewhere in between). This could lead to lean fuel air mixtures in a cylinder undetected by the driver, which could be bad.

He's got some great products, one of which is on my car (and soon on my site), and maybe more in the future.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
greatgro's smoothie

Hey greatgro, that sounds great. I'm curious about the software, is this a 19% pulley and oversize injectors specific version or was your car tuned on the dyno at helix with giac software? Could you give me an idea as to how much it cost for the parts and labor? Thank you and congratulations.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
It is GIAC software tuned for the 19% pulley and larger injectors (380cc I believe). It was not tuned specifically for my MINI. But driving it, you'd never be able to tell that.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:23 PM
jlm
6th Gear
what is the cc rating for the M7 re-valved units? and how far can you go with re-valving?

Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
I'm rather amazed that no one is talking to RC Engineering for injectors.
Russ Collins has been into fuel injection for 30 years or so and knows his stuff.
They have been the leaders in that technology since it came out and provide all service's know to man.
Websters dictionary should say Tuner, Russ Collins

Check him out, http://www.rceng.com/index.htm

Here's a work sheet on his site to figure your injector sizeing , just plug in the numbers;
http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

Last edited by norm03s; 01-10-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 01-10-2005, 03:56 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Greatgro, So, what's next for you? Carbon fiber bonnet? Time to start lightening.
Nothing's next. I'm done. Really this car is perfect now.

Unfortunately I didn't dyno and I wish I did but I wouldn't expect earth-shattering numbers. What Eric told me sounds about right (6-9 lbs torque and HP). But when you add some extra low-end torque to the whopping amount the 19% already gives to the ultra-refined smoothness, to the ability to get really great launches without ruining your clutch on a car that doesn't like to launch well, to the heck of a "boost" of power at the top end due to the larger injectors (clearly the 19% pulley's least advantageous area) - you've got yourself a heck of a package.

Although I didn't dyno, I DID do some performance tests today with a few 60-80mph runs in third gear. There was a thread back in October comparing 60-80mph runs (I also posted mine there). So here is a comparison:

Date..................Mods........................ ............... Temp........Best Time
October 2004..... 19%, intake, UUC exhaust..............50F.......... 3.81
Jan 2004 (today)..Above mods PLUS GIAC+injectors.... 49F...........3.37

0.44 sec faster! That's 11.5% better! The temps were vitrually the same and I used the same exact strip of highway which I guess to be a little above 1000 feet elevation. How's that for numbers??? And that's at speed - I'm telling you - the difference off the line is even MORE pronounced. Oh yeah - I still got the heavy S-lites and all-season runflats.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
That's great to hear about the new program that works with larger injectors. Hopefully Eric can find us some cheap injectors to make the decision a little easier.

What is the new redline with the 19% pulley, curious as to how high the GIAC chip will let you push it.
Mike

Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
what is the cc rating for the M7 re-valved units? and how far can you go with re-valving?
jlm - I believe M7's units are 400cc. Got me on the second question.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
jlm
6th Gear
blush! I've got RC 440 injectors in my rig

Old 01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
greatgro, thats very cool that it all came together for you with this upgrade...sweet.
Thanks for the feed back on the GIAC software and the great write-up.
:smile:

Old 01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I'm excited for you, Greatgro! GIAC software certainly solves a multitude of problems and adds some wonderful surprises of it's own. It's like opening a door to a world of engine performance that you never even imagined could exist for the Mini.......especially after stumbles, yo-yo's, hesitations, power losses, warning lights and the like. I regret that I had to drive about without it for a year and a half, but that's OK now because the story ends.....happily ever after. Now I love it just the way it is.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Yes our units are 400cc, but we can accomodate smaller flowing units like
380cc or 440cc if there's interest.

One of the reasons we did not go with The RC units where physical size, which
necessitates machining and other fittment issues (read expensive) to be able
to fit them under the intercooler.Other then that the RC units are excellent....

peter

Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
Greatgro,

Are the bigger injectors physically bigger on the exterior than the OEM ones? The reason I am asking is because of what Peter of M7 said, that it might have fitment issues with the intercooler. I have a bigger GRS intercooler, and I believe it is thicker than the OEM ones. Do the new injectors stick out a lot more than the OEM ones? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The injectors are a perfect fit (same size as stock) for the MINI.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
The injectors are a perfect fit (same size as stock) for the MINI.
If I wanted, where could I buy these and from whom? I'm in the UK by the way

Henry

Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnD
Greatgro, Are the bigger injectors physically bigger on the exterior than the OEM ones?
No. Larger injectors basically mean they have a higher flow rate. That's what the "size" (380cc versus stock 330cc(?)) refers to.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Pocket_Rocket
4th Gear
I just got off the phone with Eric. What an incredibly patient and talented guy. I have an appointment the 18th of Feb to go from 15% to 19%

Some key questions I asked were the following with the answers he provided.

Q. Here in PA we have emissions testing each year.. Will this combo affect emissions?

A. No.. Emissions here are based on OBDII reads and this upgrade is not going to change the readings for emissions testing.

Q. Does this also remove the top end limiter?

A. The top end limiter is removed as well as a slight increase in redline rpm.

Q. Is there a cost advantage to doing both the 19% and the injectors at the same time?

A. No, but when you add the larger injectors on top of the 19% you must also add the GIAC software at the same time.

Thanks for your review greatgro.. I can't wait!!!!

Craig

Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pocket_Rocket
I just got off the phone with Eric. What an incredibly patient and talented guy. I have an appointment the 18th of Feb to go 19% from 15%
So you're going from a 15% pulley, to a 19% with larger injectors and GIAC? My God, be prepared to go through a lot of rubber...

Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Pocket_Rocket
4th Gear
Yes and Possibly

Yes I am going that route.. however I want to see if he can get the injectors for a better price before going all the way . He is working on this now. I am planning on the pulley only right now but if the price is right then I may go the whole route in one pop. If not then I will finish up by Spring. I already have tires to buy by March from one Summer with the 15% so I can only imagine

Craig

Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
$$$$$$$$$$

Can you comment on the total cost for parts & labor for the 15% to 19%, belt with larger injectors and giac upgrade. I may have the mod bug again too. 30,000 miles on my 15% pulley, it may be time for a new one.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 19% GIAC with larger injectors - first impressions