Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Handheld Tuning comes to the N18

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Handheld Tuning comes to the N18

So we've been using the Stage X handheld to work with N14 and F56 Mini's as well as BMW F models for a while. What's nice is the client doesn't need to go anywhere or remove their ECU. They purchase the handheld, connect it to their car, download and email us their stock file and we email them back the Stage tune of their choice with three performance levels to choose from. This gives them the flexibility to choose any of the three performance tunes or even return the vehicle to stock if they wish.

The only fly in the ointment was the N18 as it required removing the ECU. This could be done in a service mode so at least it wasn't necessary to open the ECU anymore. Well... that problem is now solved as the handheld now works with all versions of the N18 to include the JCW and GP2. The other good news is that since our Stage X handheld is based on commercially available tuning hardware with some minor software changes, other tuners should also be able to offer this service as well. Competition always makes for better products, and with Manic officially out of business this is especially good news for our community.

The following 5 users liked this post by Tigger2011:
asysavanh (09-27-2019), Bcoday (07-10-2021), cerberus (01-16-2023), jetsr6 (01-09-2020), scotty_r56s (05-23-2020)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
How long does it take to upload a change from your tune to stock tune or vice versa? For 2nd or 3rd gens if it is different.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
The first time the tune is loaded takes the longest at about eight to ten minutes. After that loading one of the other tunes takes about two minutes. Since the handheld already contains the tune loaded on the ECU as well as the one to be loaded, it compares the two and only the changes have to be uploaded.

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM
I_Forge_KC
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
The first time the tune is loaded takes the longest at about eight to ten minutes. After that loading one of the other tunes takes about two minutes. Since the handheld already contains the tune loaded on the ECU as well as the one to be loaded, it compares the two and only the changes have to be uploaded.
How many tunes can be loaded on the device? Can custom tunes be created by the user (including with WinOLS or Titanium)?

Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
The handheld can hold a total of five tunes plus the stock file.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Unfortunately, no its not an open tuning platform. While the client can load the file from the tuner on to the handheld, they cannot create the file itself. Any tuning software can be used to create the tunes. I use WinOLS 4.31 myself but some prefer other software packages.

The Stage X handheld is a slave device linked to the the master unit. The clients stock file and all of the tunes are compressed and encoded by the master which can then be emailed to the client.

The handheld also has to be configured by the tuner for the possible vehicles it can be used on. This is when the handheld is linked to the master unit and without it the unit won't do anything if plugged into the OBD.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:17 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
This is AWESOME news! Cost? Dynos?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have the car at the dealer and they erase the code can it simply be downloaded again at no cost?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LostbutFound
If you have the car at the dealer and they erase the code can it simply be downloaded again at no cost?
See post #5

Old 09-14-2019, 11:13 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
See post #5
Sorry I was not clear enough. Sometimes the dealer, from what I understand, will make changes to the stock program. Would that cause an issue with the stored program?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Sorry I was not clear enough. Sometimes the dealer, from what I understand, will make changes to the stock program. Would that cause an issue with the stored program?
That is a better {great} question. Will have to wait on OP to answer that one.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:37 AM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
This is AWESOME news! Cost? Dynos?
Here's some info from his website. https://prototype-r.com/shop

Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Following

Old 09-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Good question and an important one. Sometimes when the factory code is updated, map locations or other data pertinent to the tune may be in a different memory location.

Generally a dealer will not upgrade the ECU software when performing routine maintenance, and our software does not flag a tuner code. If however the vehicle has issues and they know it has been tuned (you tell them or observed performance) they will want to update it. The technician has no way of knowing what was altered in the ECU, or if those alterations are related to the issue. Updating the software allows the technician to approach the problem with one less unknown variable.

This is why we recommend reloading your stock file before a dealer visit. The handheld also allows you to read and clear error codes which can help you troubleshoot issues yourself if your the DIY type.

But the short answer to the question is yes. We offer one free retune if your ECU software is updated by the dealer. Just let us know and we can build new tunes and email the file to you.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Have you been in contact with tuners such as Mario about this?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Is there any tune included with the cost of the Stage X handheld or would I need to buy the Stage X and also one of the Stage tunes? Thanks

Old 09-15-2019, 03:32 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Is this the official page

https://prototype-r.com/product/stage-x

How reliable are the maps as it's not done on a dyno or road?

Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by knt
Is this the official page

https://prototype-r.com/product/stage-x

How reliable are the maps as it's not done on a dyno or road?
They purchase the handheld, connect it to their car, download and email us their stock file and we email them back the Stage tune of their choice with three performance levels to choose from. This gives them the flexibility to choose any of the three performance tunes or even return the vehicle to stock if they wish.
Sounds like there's some data logging before a tune is loaded, but typically stage 1 and 2 canned tunes with the stock turbo can be pretty generic.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Is there any tune included with the cost of the Stage X handheld or would I need to buy the Stage X and also one of the Stage tunes? Thanks
The handheld does not include a tune, although its been suggested we offer a discount coupon for NAM members or perhaps a group buy with larger discounts.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Sounds like there's some data logging before a tune is loaded, but typically stage 1 and 2 canned tunes with the stock turbo can be pretty generic.
Correct sir. Stage 1 and 2 are standardized calibrations because the possible configurations are relatively fixed. Whereas Stage 3 and Stage X encompass a much wider range of hardware configurations.

We provide the datalogging software which works with a K+DCAN cable and laptop or portable PC. This allows us to capture a much greater amount of data from the ecu (i.e.cam phasing, knock sensor, injector time, etc.).

The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (05-23-2020)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Please note that at the top of the checkout page is a modifications checklist that can be downloaded and completed electronically or printed. This form is necessary for all Stage 3 and Stage X level tunes. I've also attached a copy here.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Modification Checklist.pdf (290.0 KB, 161 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Would the remote tuning device still work if you have already had a manic stage 2 to rpm stage 3 tune on the ecu?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
RPM tunes are traditional tunes in that they "Play Fair" with the ECU. By that I mean the area of the ECU modified is the data area containing the map structures, bit flags, limiters, etc.

Manic tunes on the other hand injected software into the executable code of the ECU. This code sniffed the canbus for a signal from the Revo switch and when present changed the mode. Notice I said mode not map. The Manic tune left the factory maps in their original location and unmolested. This was stock mode. The injected code also reserved a section of unused memory where "Map C" was stored. Map C was a collection of all the maps necessary to produce the highest level of performance the tune was designed for. Selection of Map A or Map B via the SPS switch sent a different canbus signal that directed the code to apply a scaling factor to various maps in "Map C" in realtime to produce lower levels of power.

It was in truth an ingenious solution that required the coding skills of Revo's technicians and the tuning skills of Nick. The problem of course is that now the executable code has been jacked. For this reason I recommend flashing back to stock before overwriting a Manic tune regardless of the method used to tune the ECU.

VAG owners with Revo tunes have been running into the same problem when retuning later as well.

Most any tuner should have the capability to flash back to stock either via the factory tools (skilled owners can do the same) or if they were a Manic dealer via the Manic SPP device used for OBD tuning.

Since no one else is offering a tune with features like on the fly map switching, true anti-lag, launch control or no lift shifting, the Manic tunes should be the only ones using code injection.

I can't speak for RPM but I would expect them as well as other tuners to offer the same service, if not now, then soon, as its an elegant solution to the problem of remote tuning.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
RPM tunes are traditional tunes in that they "Play Fair" with the ECU. By that I mean the area of the ECU modified is the data area containing the map structures, bit flags, limiters, etc.

Manic tunes on the other hand injected software into the executable code of the ECU. This code sniffed the canbus for a signal from the Revo switch and when present changed the mode. Notice I said mode not map. The Manic tune left the factory maps in their original location and unmolested. This was stock mode. The injected code also reserved a section of unused memory where "Map C" was stored. Map C was a collection of all the maps necessary to produce the highest level of performance the tune was designed for. Selection of Map A or Map B via the SPS switch sent a different canbus signal that directed the code to apply a scaling factor to various maps in "Map C" in realtime to produce lower levels of power.

It was in truth an ingenious solution that required the coding skills of Revo's technicians and the tuning skills of Nick. The problem of course is that now the executable code has been jacked. For this reason I recommend flashing back to stock before overwriting a Manic tune regardless of the method used to tune the ECU.

VAG owners with Revo tunes have been running into the same problem when retuning later as well.

Most any tuner should have the capability to flash back to stock either via the factory tools (skilled owners can do the same) or if they were a Manic dealer via the Manic SPP device used for OBD tuning.

Since no one else is offering a tune with features like on the fly map switching, true anti-lag, launch control or no lift shifting, the Manic tunes should be the only ones using code injection.

I can't speak for RPM but I would expect them as well as other tuners to offer the same service, if not now, then soon, as its an elegant solution to the problem of remote tuning.
I have to say I appreciate his explanation of the Manic tune. I currently have a Manic Stage 2 loaded to my car. If I had known before what was involved with its operation, I might have thought more before purchasing it. It runs well, but with them being now disbanded, leaves me looking for other support. I like the handheld OBD solution you offer because it provides a solution to go truly back to stock.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow it's literally like how 89 or 91 octane gas is just 93 and 87 blended together.

Quick Reply: Handheld Tuning comes to the N18